• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:42 AM

The axles can be removed but I doubt there would be any replacements someone added on.

Are you sure the old pins just didnt snap off in the hole?

A large cotter pin is used to fasten the wheel, you then flare the ends out with a screwdriver.

• MailmAn said thank you

#32 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:50 AM

Are you sure the old pins just didnt snap off in the hole?

Possibly?  I guess my question is though, where do the large cotter pins go?  If they go in that big hole there, then they couldn't have broken off in there as the big hole is fine.  The small hole is the issue and where should that small hole be?  Is it in front of the bigger hole or behind it?  The small hole I found on the left-hand side is in front of the bigger hole.  Is the small hole for the spring cotter to hold the deck on?  IDK what could have broken off in there unless someone put the wrong type of pin in there and it broke off at some point (which given how it looks like the rest of this thing was cobbled together so far, I wouldn't doubt...).

Edited by MailmAn, January 08, 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#33 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Yes the small hole should be on the outside...

IDK what could have broken off in there unless someone put the wrong type of pin in there and it broke off at some point (which given how it looks like the rest of this thing was cobbled together so far, I wouldn't doubt...).

Thats what I was thinking.......

#34 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 11:10 AM

I wouldnt run it with that broken mount.....

#35 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:36 AM

In your pics, Kevin, your engine is missing the sheetmetal baffle that covers part of the cooling fins on the cylinder head (see Brian's video).  ....Do you have it?  .....If not, that is another item to add to your shopping list.

While these baffles are often removed/lost/forgotten, they are needed to properly cool the Wisconsin engines.  ....They contain the airflow generated by the fins on the flywheel, and direct that air through the cooling fins on the cylinder head.

To remove the broken bolt on the cylinder head, there are several methods.  ....Some require luck, while some require skill. :smilewink:

If you are lucky, you may be able to unscrew the broken piece by using a small pointed punch and a hammer.  ....Try turning the broken piece counter-clockwise by holding the punch near the outer portion of the screw and tapping lightly with the hammer.  ....You are trying to unscrew the piece, not drive it downward, so the punch should be held at a shallow angle, as opposed to holding the punch vertically.

Another option is to use a left-hand drill bit in a reversible drill.  ....The friction of the bit and/or the cutting edges of the bit against the broken piece will sometimes unscrew the the broken piece.  ....The drill bit must be a left-hand spiral bit, and the drill must turn in reverse (counter-clockwise).  .....Slow rotational speed, and heavy pressure is preferred.

Either of the two methods above can be done with the cylinder head in place, as long as the sheetmetal shroud does not hinder extraction of the broken piece.

If neither of those methods are successful, the broken piece will need to be drilled out, hopefully without damaging the threads.  ...While this can be done in place, it is better to remove the head and drill it out in a drill press.  .....If the threads get damaged, you have the option of drilling the head to a larger diameter and tapping the hole for the next size bolt. (For example: using a 5/16" bolt to replace a 1/4" bolt.)

I agree that the engine mount should be repaired or replaced before running the engine.  ....I doubt that it is made of spring steel, and is more than likely just plain old mild steel.

BTW, the wheels & tires look great!

• Bolens 1000 and MailmAn have said thanks

#36 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:41 AM

I forgot to say:

Try cleaning the front axles with sandpaper or emery cloth where the small holes are located. 

You may see the remnants of a sheared-off cotter pin or roll pin.  ....Use a small pin punch to try to remove the broken pieces.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, January 09, 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#37 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:57 PM

mailmAn, i have the free wheel parts if you still need them i just rememered to look when i was splitting wood
  • MailmAn said thank you

#38 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 02:07 PM

mailmAn, i have the free wheel parts if you still need them i just rememered to look when i was splitting wood

Yes, I still need them.  I figured you were busy with your 850 resto, so I didn't want to bother you with it...

I don't suppose that you might have the proper S/G "Adjusting Strap" (Part #1715698) on your parts EK either?  Brian said he came up with nothing on that...

Edited by MailmAn, January 09, 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#39 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 02:17 PM

Those wheels and tires look good. If Brian does not have the strap let me know i have some new ones here.

• MailmAn said thank you

#40 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 04:49 PM

im not sure what that part is

#41 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:46 PM

im not sure what that part is

This is the part I am talking about:

EK-10_SG_AdjStrap.jpg

(From the EK-10 Parts Manual.  It is Reference Number 210.)

#42 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 05:42 PM

Can anyone take some nice close-up pics of the front axle of their Estate Keeper for me and share the pictures on here?  I'd just like to see what Bolens used to attach the front wheels and the deck extension arms on with to be sure I have it right.  I'm assuming with the way everything else seems to be cobbled together on my EK-10, that the PO broke or lost the OEM parts and just threw some stuff together to "make it work".  I'd like to try and get this thing together and working as close to original as possible instead of just slapping it together again the way it was.  I'd just like something to double-check that is easier to tell what parts were used rather than trying to go by the parts list diagrams, which aren't always the best...  Thanks a lot and I appreciate all the help I can get!

Edited by MailmAn, January 11, 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#43 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 06:44 PM

if brian dont get to it first i will go do it

#44 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 06:56 PM

I dont have any pics on hand....

All attachments are currently off at the moment.

#45 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 07:54 PM

bolens ek10 003.JPG bolens ek10 002.JPG bolens ek10 001.JPG bolens ek10 004.JPG

i hope this helps you
  • Bolens 1000 and MailmAn have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, ek-10, estate keeper, 1969, tra-10d, restoration, 931-02