• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#76 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 01:56 PM

Today was the second try at plowing with the repowered Ford 80.  The new Predator 212cc, 6.5 horse engine had all of the power I could use.  I didn't even have much problem with traction.  I have 50 pound wheel weights on each side, plus some chain under the seat, and chains on the old Firestones.  This plow with the now lighter front end doesn't give me much steering with the blade in the snow, especially pushing on the side of a hill.  If I push so that the blade angle fights the tendency to slide downhill, it pushes straight.  Pushing on level ground or straight up and down hill was no problem. 

ford snow1.jpg

Edited by bja105, December 29, 2012 - 02:31 PM.

• daytime dave said thank you

#77 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 04:49 PM

well ny got hit again last night so after i got up this morning i got outside fired the ole cub up and away we went didnt take long to plow since it was light fluffy stuff. took my better half to work came home put the new cd player in her car and plowed again then just as i parked it, ran outa gas perfect timing i guess

#78 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:56 PM

well we are getting dumped on again this time it should be fluffy stuff ,as its cold out , already have about 4" and it snowing like crazy !! Oh boy! Maybe I can get some better video tomorrow :D

#79 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 07:50 AM

We have had a few small drops, plowed a little once, and I had not got around to doing much more until yesterday.  Plowed our drive, once around our house for the dogs path, to the bird feeder and back, and my brothers drive.  Then took the grader out and went back over our driveway to smooth it out in preparation of snow blower use.  

Sorry, no current pictures, but heres an old one of the last season before I got the snow blower, the drive was getting pretty narrow plowing with the Ford LGT 145

IMG_0379.JPG

• daytime dave and KennyP have said thanks

#80 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 08:51 AM

I'm stalling right now.  No need to rush out on a windy cold Sunday morn.  Looks like about 6-8" out there.

#81 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 01:50 PM

I just came in, its beautiful stuff to blow !!!! Did my entire drive in 30 minutes and blew it all to the high side with ease! Sorry no pics, it was to windy and I had no pockets for my phone..... :( poor excuse I know... but I don't need to go and buy a new one yet...
Anyways it is windy !! But the stuff was just right for blowing or shoveling :)
We got about 6-8" as well . Now I'm happy its winter!!

#82 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 06:30 PM

I made it to our farm today, and we had a foot of snow since last weekend. I have definitively settled the ag versus chained turf argument. With the ballasted ags, I could hardly move. I had to dig out room to put on the turfs.
I also found our horses have been eating their new shed.

#83 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 08:42 PM

I just came in, its beautiful stuff to blow !!!! Did my entire drive in 30 minutes and blew it all to the high side with ease! Sorry no pics, it was to windy and I had no pockets for my phone..... :( poor excuse I know... but I don't need to go and buy a new one yet...
Anyways it is windy !! But the stuff was just right for blowing or shoveling :)
We got about 6-8" as well . Now I'm happy its winter!!

It was great stuff for blowing!  The Berco threw it as far as I've ever seen.  The engine never even seemed to be working hard except in the one part of our circle where I always pass through already blown snow.  What fun!

#84 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Well we finally had snow here! 1st time since October of last year! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

I wasn't able to use the 2 stage on the Jac 1200 as the engine block won't be back till tomorrow ( I hope). :(

But... I did have the blade, weights and chains on the Old Jac 800. So I spent the entire day out plowing. We had an inch of sleet 1st then 10" of snow on top of that.

That little Jac did awesome!!!  I am a hurtin' unit right now. But It was worth it! :D

I too couldn't get pics. the wind was blowing so hard it looked like it was snowing today even.

• daytime dave and MH81 have said thanks

#85 Doug G OFFLINE  

Doug G
  • Member No: 17264
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 09:38 AM

Okay, this just isn't right.  Here in the heart of Illinois we received just about 1" of snow a week ago and now they're only calling for 1" maybe 2" this afternoon and into the night.  I’m envious of you lucky ducks getting to use your snow blowers. 

Granted, my Roper 624 and LGT-42” are both in the middle of being refurbished but, I would at least like to be able to get out the UT {Urban Tractor} and plow a little. If I can spend just a little more time in the shop I can get one ready to use. 

Oh well, keep posting the pics and videos.  If we can get enough snow to brag about I definitely will be posting my pics.

Have fun gentleman!