Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 07:33 PM

Only a dusting here... supposed to get some tonight...

yup, I went from Lewiston, to Buffalo, down thru Dunkirk and right to Erie PA today......Erie got bout 3in or so and whiteouts lasted a few hrs until I left there bout 3:30 or so, then mostly rain back to Buff with snow mix. Lightly snowing now in Lewiston.....

#17 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 07:40 PM

I have my Snow Thrower ready, the battery is on the charger, I have the tires filled, and I plan to add the heater and chains in the morning.

#18 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 08:09 PM

no snow here I had to mow the grass today. I am in central Fla.sorry guys just had to say it.lol

Believe it all not I cut the grass last Saturday Dec.15 here on Cape Cod, so take that! :D
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 10:08 PM

yup, I went from Lewiston, to Buffalo, down thru Dunkirk and right to Erie PA today......Erie got bout 3in or so and whiteouts lasted a few hrs until I left there bout 3:30 or so, then mostly rain back to Buff with snow mix. Lightly snowing now in Lewiston.....

I heard it was pretty slick in places up there. Erie can be a PITA anyways, but add slick roads to the bad drivers.... Just glad I live in Small Town PA.

#20 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 10:11 PM

Farmlife you probly went by my area or close to it

#21 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 10:42 PM

I travel everyday from Buff to dunkirk/Fredonia area, then down thru westfield/mayville, then into PA. Been doin it 8 yrs now....quite a trip in the winter with the snow. PA never drops a blade I see them drive all day with inches and inches on the roads and blades up. They also drop the salt/sand mix which turns into the worst driving conditions. Every day I can't wait to cross the state line back into NY. They will scrape the road with a dusting burnin them blade edges up and dump tons of salt. It rots cars faster but least its safer to drive and when I'm pushin 80mph on a dead run in a 36,000 lb truck (empty weight), I want that salted road.......lol

#22 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 11:18 PM

I travel everyday from Buff to dunkirk/Fredonia area, then down thru westfield/mayville, then into PA. Been doin it 8 yrs now....quite a trip in the winter with the snow. PA never drops a blade I see them drive all day with inches and inches on the roads and blades up. They also drop the salt/sand mix which turns into the worst driving conditions. Every day I can't wait to cross the state line back into NY. They will scrape the road with a dusting burnin them blade edges up and dump tons of salt. It rots cars faster but least its safer to drive and when I'm pushin 80mph on a dead run in a 36,000 lb truck (empty weight), I want that salted road.......lol

They use nothing but Calcium down here.Kills the trees,brush and grass along the road side.And it rusts the living crap out of the cars down here.I thought they outlawed Calcium usage?
They quit using Calcium for a couple years and used an ash/salt mix but they are to lazy around here to put the plow down.

We're getting some fine snow and alot of wind now.There was about 2-2 1/2 inches on the ground till the wind picked up and deposited it in some nice drifts that I'm going to have to "play" errr I meen work in with the MTD 1400 w/Blower.
I forgot to put the chains on the other day when it was nice out.And I think I have a split front tire.They have tubes in them and I have "newly re-purposed" tires for the front.Some nice looking walk behind snow blower tires,same size as the original tires but with Alot of meat on them and No dry-rot WoooHooo!!! :dancingbanana:

Now to get the battery in and charged up for the mornings snow-venture. :rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2:

Edited by EricFromPa, December 21, 2012 - 11:22 PM.

#23 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 09:19 AM

PA never drops a blade I see them drive all day with inches and inches on the roads and blades up. They also drop the salt/sand mix which turns into the worst driving conditions. Every day I can't wait to cross the state line back into NY.

Good to know it's the same on the other side of the state. There are endless complaints about PA's winter maintenance compared to Maryland. The roads in PA will be snow and ice covered then you hit a distinct line at the border where they are bare as you cross into MD....

#24 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 01:06 PM

Yesterday I got more rain then i did from Hurricane Sandy! And, I am not at all exaggerating; the ponds at my house went up almost two feet!

There have been flurries all morning, but nothing sticking... except the stuff that was blowing onto my garage floor! At this rate, it looks like it will not be a green Christmas!

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 03:16 PM

None of the kids were able to run the camera while I was blowing with the SS12, but I did get Ryan to shoot a few of me pushing back the stuff the crack snow removal team left in the parking lot and on the street just down the road from me.

The 6000 didnt want to start. I had just about given up when the pump primed and she took off. I had it started just a month ago, so IDK what was up... but she started.

Ran great. and still pushes a butt-load of snow for a lightweight vertical shaft.

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0127 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0118 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0119 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0120 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0121 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0122 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0123 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0124 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0125 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0126 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0133 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0128 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0129 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0130 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0131 (Custom).JPG
  • PICT0132 (Custom).JPG

• Arti said thank you

#26 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 03:49 PM

None of the kids were able to run the camera while I was blowing with the SS12, but I did get Ryan to shoot a few of me pushing back the stuff the crack snow removal team left in the parking lot and on the street just down the road from me.

The 6000 didnt want to start. I had just about given up when the pump primed and she took off. I had it started just a month ago, so IDK what was up... but she started.

Ran great. and still pushes a butt-load of snow for a lightweight vertical shaft.

:boo_hoo: I'm starting to forget what snow looks and feels like. That looks like it did a great job! looks like it was a wet snow even??

#27 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 03:53 PM

We got about 1.5'' last night.
I fired up the 58' Bolens Versa-matic but didn't take any pics as it was pretty embarrassing plowing just an inch of snow :D

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 04:05 PM

That looks like it did a great job! looks like it was a wet snow even??

Yeah, it was pretty wet. The blower did a decent job, but I had to go slower than normal.

My wife had to work today, she said the plow trucks were going to fast and leaving chunks behind.
She texted it was like one continuous rumble strip.

#29 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, it was pretty wet. The blower did a decent job, but I had to go slower than normal.

My wife had to work today, she said the plow trucks were going to fast and leaving chunks behind.
She texted it was like one continuous rumble strip.

That's funny our plow guys must work up your way also :D

#30 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 04:14 PM

We have snow in the forecast, so I have the Cub and thrower ready to go.