Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

"heavy Duty" Garden Tractor Or So He Says

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 12:44 AM

This looks like a real ripoff. Not even a real GT. Must be all that valuable rust.LOL.

http://syracuse.crai...3443628506.html

#2 greggn OFFLINE  

greggn

• Member No: 1857
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 01:34 AM

That ain't rust -thats called Patina !! :rolling:

#3 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 01:36 AM

Heavy Duty Garden Tractor, Mower & Snow Thrower - $900 (Liverpool)

imagesCAPKIL3J.jpg

#4 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 04:39 AM

lol....yea, I'm gona haveto say he's tryin to foot the bill of his move. I hope he ain't goin far... :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

#5 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 08:19 AM

Heavy duty is a relative term, everyone has their own opinion. Heck, some people even think MTD makes tractors.

EDIT: Speaking of MTD, I just found this add on CL for a heavy duty MTD garden tractor.

Heavy Duty MTD

Edited by HankS, December 21, 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#6 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 09:12 AM

I had one of those once. I paid about $200 for it and it was, indeed, a beast. It must have weighed a thousand pounds, and could easily have pulled a ton with that low gear. I needed a good jack to lift the back when I put new tires on. I couldn't find cheap rear tires so I kept plugging them till one day, in walleyworld, I spotted a pair of ags for $20 each. Of course, that was around 1995. I lived in a coastal town in Florida and didn't keep it covered so if left for a few weeks, it wouldn't start. The flywheel and magneto was easy to sand. I had nothing to remove. Fresh gas and it would start right up.
Now mine had patina. LOL A good solid redish/brown rust. You should have seen them gawk when I drove it to my new home. I took back streets where possible but did have to take it about a block or two down the 5 lane street. I just waited till I could get across into the middle turn lane and rode that till I got to my turn.
I wish I had that twin cylinder Briggs now.

Edited by robert_p43, December 21, 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#7 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 12:00 PM

I had one of those once. I paid about $200 for it and it was, indeed, a beast. It must have weighed a thousand pounds, and could easily have pulled a ton with that low gear. I needed a good jack to lift the back when I put new tires on. I couldn't find cheap rear tires so I kept plugging them till one day, in walleyworld, I spotted a pair of ags for $20 each. Of course, that was around 1995. I lived in a coastal town in Florida and didn't keep it covered so if left for a few weeks, it wouldn't start. The flywheel and magneto was easy to sand. I had nothing to remove. Fresh gas and it would start right up.
Now mine had patina. LOL A good solid redish/brown rust. You should have seen them gawk when I drove it to my new home. I took back streets where possible but did have to take it about a block or two down the 5 lane street. I just waited till I could get across into the middle turn lane and rode that till I got to my turn.
I wish I had that twin cylinder Briggs now.

Which one, the Snapper or the MTD?
I think that larger GT type Snapper is a little better that some people give it credit. Don't get me wrong, I'm saying it is a great GT.
I think when we hear Snapper, we all think of the rear-engine Snappers that were Lawn Mowers only, and not an overly good drive system.

#8 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 21, 2012 - 12:16 PM

I cant imagine doing any real work with the MTD sotg mowers. The belts slip bad enough mowing hills. I have hot rodded a few and ended up with busted axel housings from hammering them too hard.

#9 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 01:38 PM

I had the snapper. I had a snapper lawn tractor too but it wasn't like the old beast I had in Florida. I have also owned a rear engine mower and a self propelled too. That self propelled was a good one. I would take any of them back.

#10 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 11:54 PM

I know that the Hydro version of that tractor has a Horizontal Briggs opposed twin and shaft driven trans-axle.They are pretty stout.The rear tires are what fools you until you look at the tractor closely.They are 8" rims with 4 lug bolts.

I'm trying to find a set of tires for my uncles Snapper LT 16 Hydro.They have been tubed a long time ago but they're splitting now.Very strange size tires for sure 21 x 8 x 8 is the size.

Edited by EricFromPa, December 21, 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#11 Oo-v-oO ONLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 11:55 PM

Heavy duty is a relative term, everyone has their own opinion. Heck, some people even think MTD makes tractors.

EDIT: Speaking of MTD, I just found this add on CL for a heavy duty MTD garden tractor.

Heavy Duty MTD

You are apparently not familiar with the MTD 990?

#12 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 08:32 AM

You are apparently not familiar with the MTD 990?

I said makes not made. I was referring to what they crank out today.

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 08:42 AM

Heavy Duty MTD

I know what your saying, Hank. My primary mower is a 1994 14/42. Have to repair the spindles every 2 years. I hate the plastic front wheel bushings, can't keep them from wearing out, even with lots of grease on them. But it get into places the larger tractors can't, so I'll keep fixing it. Not the quality of the older units!

#14 8tyman8 ONLINE  

8tyman8

• Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 10:39 PM

the blower (looks like its from a Ariens) is the Only thing that has value there 

#15 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 02:42 AM

Good news this heavy duty monster is still available. You will also need to get used to that massive 36 inch deck. :D