• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 04:52 PM

The wind is crazy here! One of the barn "man doors" keeps coming open, as the wind is banging the door back & forth till the latch lets loose, so I screwed the door shut, and also had to screw some loose tin on my shop. Things you'd not think would get blown around are. I also had to wire some sliding barn doors to the end barn gates, as they were swinging straight out. Hang onto your hats!!!

Wow that's crazy Daniel! Be safe!!!

#17 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 05:05 PM

we got all that blowing and snow stuff here too. You cant do anything with it right now as the ground wasnt fozen, and the first couple inches up is pure slush. Cant really tell how much we have as every time i look its either higher or lower, depending on the wind speed, which is pretty high right now. I decide not to even try and go to work, as i couldnt see much past the driveway at noon. Here some pictures of thesnow for all you that cant seem to get enough of it.

snow 004.JPG

snow 003.JPG

snow 002.JPG

snow 001.JPG
  • Cat385B and twostep have said thanks

#18 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 05:57 PM

That's a pretty good snow Jeff! I can live without snow & like it, BUT, if it gets really really cold, I like to have some snow on the ground. Some of our water lines on the farm aren't quite deep enough, so without a blanket of snow to help insulate, we can end up with frozen water lines.....never fun.

#19 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 06:52 PM

Had rain last night, saw lightening too. The temperature dropped to about 28 degrees F. by this morning and I drove to work in a near blizzard condition. It was snowing sideways, there were cars in the ditches all the way to work. There was ice under the snow-packed roads and the wind was blowing snow all over the place. I made it to work , but it took an extra 30 minutes plus to get there. Real glad I left for work early this morning.
Got home from work this afternoon, and there was a package on my doorstep. It was my tire chains for the 8-16 tires on big Red that I had bought on ebay. I got them on my tires, (I already had the snowblade on it) and out the garage door I went! Mostly had ice on the driveway, but there was also some snow. I cleared off my neighbor's driveway too. Yea man! Seat time!

Edited by JBBR, December 20, 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#20 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 07:01 PM

It just started snowing here about 5:30. It has rained almost constantly since midnight last night. The wind is definitely howling. I am hoping for some seat time!! I'll take all the snow we can get, the 129 is bored!!

Geno

#21 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 07:23 PM

3-4" here, had to tell with up to 47 mph gusts, I'll wait until tomorrow to clear the drive!

Dottie had fun in her first snow:

HPIM2538 (Custom).JPG

HPIM2537 (Custom).JPG

Lowell
  • twostep said thank you

#22 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 07:23 PM

Jeff, thanks for the pictures of the snow. Here in NC, we rarely have frozen ground, and hardly ever when the snow falls. In fact, I doubt we get snow but once every couple of years, so we are probably due for at least one good one this year.

#23 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 07:32 PM

Jeff, thanks for the pictures of the snow. Here in NC, we rarely have frozen ground, and hardly ever when the snow falls. In fact, I doubt we get snow but once every couple of years, so we are probably due for at least one good one this year.

I moved down there( In between Greensboro and High point) in January 97. We had snow the next day. it wasn't a lot but I spent my day pulling cars out of ditches. That hole winter we had ice storm after ice storm. And here I moved there to get away from all of that lol.

#24 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 07:44 PM

West of Durham, the odds of frozen stuff being on the ground do increase quite a bit. And there are some spectacular exceptions, such as the massive storm in 1999 that dumped between 17 and 20 inches of snow on the area. We even had a VERY rare Christmas holiday snowstorm that maxed out at about 6 inches. We had all gotten together at Mom & Dad's house for Christmas, and the following day, snow started falling out of the sky. Had a marvelous time with family in the snow. Called my boss the next day, said I couldn't make it in for work, he sounded pretty skeptical on the phone, that's when I found out that Raleigh barely got dusted.

#25 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 07:49 PM

I moved down there( In between Greensboro and High point) in January 97. We had snow the next day. it wasn't a lot but I spent my day pulling cars out of ditches. That hole winter we had ice storm after ice storm. And here I moved there to get away from all of that lol.

I'm not certain, but around 1993, the winter was so mild we had people wanting to sunbathe in February, and instead of waiting to open our pools in April, which was customary, we opened them in early March.

#26 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 07:51 PM

We had wind gusts up to 49 MPH late last night and early this morning. Supposed to get down to 19 tonight. I'm going SOUTH.

#27 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 09:22 PM

Dang Ronnie, surely that's rare as frog hair to get that cold down there??? NOAA shows 24F for Ding Dong tonight, so maybe it won't get down to 19.
Been getting gusts over 50mph all evening here. Worried it's gonna blow the glass out of my shop window!
  • tinner said thank you

#28 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 09:27 PM

same here... the wind gusts have be crazy.

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,441 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Wind has finally died down here. Supposed to get down to 28*, so Texas will be colder than OK for a change! Might want to come North, Ronnie!

#30 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 09:57 PM

well I have no clue how much snow we got? News says 10 inched in Newton. But it blew off down to grass in placed and 4-5 ft drifts in others. There is a 5 ft drift about 100 ft long at the end of my dirveway. I got a call from my boss about 7:00 saying the office was closed till noon. And another call at 11:00 saying we were closed for the day. Little point in trying to dig out tilll the wind lays down, so I only cleared out enough to get to work in the morning. The 1500 did ok without chaiins but I am puttiing them on Saturday morning to finish up things.
After tomorrow I have 4 days off too dig the rest out. I80 is closed both directions 20 miles east of here. I35 is down up north and South of DesMoines. I would not say this was unusual but we have been spoiled the last couple years.