• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Alcolvr OFFLINE  

Alcolvr
  • Member No: 20622
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 11:09 AM

Just want to say howdy and say I just picked a rough shape S10 Gear. Gonna take a heap of TLC to bring her back. I do hate those plastic rear fenders and of course mine are cracked but luckily still not completely broken off. I suppose some reinforcing with fiberglass mesh and epoxy on the underside should be a decent fix. Other issues are the front PTO shaft bearings, front axle support tube and the engine. I have a recently rebuilt 14 HP K321 Kohler in a Allis Chalmers model 314 which I restored but I'm not very impressed with and that engine might end up in the Ariens. The S10 Gear did not come to me with a deck. I have a 48" deck from a New Holland S series tractor and Iam hoping it will fit up to my tractor. :wave:

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 11:30 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. Congrats on the new Ariens. Another alternative for fixing the fenders would be long hair fibreglass instead of mesh and epoxy. Bondo makes this stuff. It comes in cans and you apply it to the underside of the weak or damaged area and it hardens quickly. You then fill the top side and sand/finish. I've used it to repair a badly damaged MF 8 nose piece and it worked well. I know how it is to get a tractor that needs TLC. I bought a JD 317 last summer and the ad said TLC needed. They were right and it's disassembled now for a restore!
  • jd.rasentrac said thank you

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,445 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 11:36 AM

:welcometogttalk: :wave:

It's as Brian said, and fibreglass allows armoring with thin steel plates aso.

Edited by jd.rasentrac, December 19, 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 11:52 AM

:welcome: to GTTalk, glad you found us.

Hope to see pics of the S10, we :love: pics

#5 Alcolvr OFFLINE  

Alcolvr
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for all the comments! Have been thinking about adding in some metal to that repair. The long hair fiberglass mentioned would also be known as "Tiger Hair"? I have seen that stuff at NAPA locally. Actually the mechanical things will be the first item I need to attend to. I had the starter working by jumping across the two solenoid posts only it doesnt engage the ring gear. I removed it and ran it outside of the tractor and it functions good with the drive gear spinning out the full extent of it's travel. I have a spare starter for my K321 and they are the same when compared side to side. This has me wondering if a 10 HP K241 might have a smaller diameter ring gear than the 14 HP? Or is there a different starter for the 10 HP engines? Is the one that came on it even correct? The air shroud says 10 HP but is it really? All that aside, I rolled the engine over by hand and there is a very noticeable scraping sound from the flywheel area as it turns. I will need to remove it from the tractor to really check it out. And then there's the wiring! WOW! Rats nest supreme! I think I might as well strip it all out and start with new wiring. Scary because I am not electrically proficient. Just hoping I can learn enough to get it wired good enough to run.
For pics I just had to get another desktop and it has Windows 7 OS which doesnt support my little Canon A10 camera. Most advice I've been given is get a flash card reader to upload pics to this OS. So I'll post pics as soon as I can get this little problem sorted out. It sure aint much to look at now. I think the old saying goes "making a silk purse out of a sow's ear" is pretty accurate.

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 04:48 PM

Alcoolvr welcome to GTTalk. Sounds like you have a good winter project to work on. Glad you decided to join, I hope you get your camera issue sorted soon I'd like to see your project.

My wife it the photographer in the family and she can connect to her big Cannon Rebel but the FujIfilm camera Win 7 can't seem to deal with so I end up uploading the pics to my pc and then transfer them over to her's.

#7 Alcolvr OFFLINE  

Alcolvr
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 05:05 PM

HDWildBill, My daughter is my resident computer guru. That is when I can get her attention LOL! I'm gonna get a card reader soon. She told me that is the easiest way for me to get my pics into this onry computer.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 05:11 PM

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a dandy there to work on. I'm sure some of the folks here can lend a helping hand. I know nothing about Ariens models.

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 05:15 PM

HDWildBill, My daughter is my resident computer guru. That is when I can get her attention LOL! I'm gonna get a card reader soon. She told me that is the easiest way for me to get my pics into this onry computer.

To bad your not closer, I just yanked one out of a computer w/ bad mother board.

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,562 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 09:02 PM

Welcome to the site! Sounds like an interesting winter project. I never heard much about the gear drives, does it have the hydraulic lift? If you need manuals, they are available here. Also at the Ariens website, last time I tried there it was down not sure if it is fixed.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 05:29 AM

Welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

Edited by mjodrey, December 20, 2012 - 05:29 AM.

#12 Alcolvr OFFLINE  

Alcolvr
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 03:03 PM

No hydraulics on it but from what info I have gathered this particular gear model was available with hyd. Would like to locate an original hyd setup for it but that would probably come under the heading of needle in a haystack.

#13 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,562 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 08:49 PM

That could be an interesting add on. I wonder what they used for a pump.

#14 Alcolvr OFFLINE  

Alcolvr
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 10:03 AM

Probably would take some serious digging but I might be able to find a parts list for the hyd setup. That would give us an idea just how Ariens applied hyd to a gear model. There is an old Ariens mower shop in southern ny state I have visited a few times and he might have an old file on the gear tractors. It's worth a try.

#15 Alcolvr OFFLINE  

Alcolvr
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hope to get a few pics up soon, ordered a flash card reader supposed to be windows 7 compatible.