• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 48willys ONLINE  

48willys

• Member No: 8184
  • 146 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 10:24 AM

I just thought I would get some thoughts on an engine swap for my HD12 Bushhog. The old Wisconsin is just so bad off I'm not sure it’s really worth the money to get it back to specs, and right now the Diesel swap I have been wanting to do with the VM Motori isn't happening.
So I'm thinking about a Kohler k341 just for the time being to get me through plow day. From what I’ve seen, if I find one with a flat oil pan it should almost bolt in place of the Wisconsin. So any thoughts on this swap? I really want to get a little more HP in this thing, as it sits now it has more than enough weight on it to keep it planted but it’s really lacking in power.

Edited by 48willys, December 19, 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 01:26 PM

I would say the HD-12 will be an easy swap with a Kohler. Just a matter of the correct size crank to fit the driveshaft yoke. If you're not wanting a working front pto, then it should be pretty simple.

#3 48willys ONLINE  

48willys

• 146 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 02:06 PM

The pto shouldn't be a problem, all that was gone when I bought the tractor.
As a side note, does anyone sell parts for the rearend. I'm thinking of takeing this one apart to clean it out and put seals in it, most of it I should be able to match up or make but I might need the valves or other hard to find parts. I checked with JD but most stuff for the 140 rearend is NLA.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 02:16 PM

Best bet for parts is to buy a used system. Seals will be easy, but as you said, valves/etc will be all but impossible to source. I may have some parts I'd be willing to part with if you need any.
Other than leaky seals, do you have any performance problems that make you worry you will need parts?

#5 48willys ONLINE  

48willys

• 146 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Well just little performance problems, it jumps a little sometimes and makes noise like it might be getting some air in the system.(it Doesn't sound like a normal hydro) The worst thing was the PO was running gear oil in it so I'm not sure what that did to the valves and charge pump.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 05:26 PM

All mine have a little hesitation once you push the pedal forward or reverse, so once they grab, they kinda jump. I take it that is normal for them??? Yes, these are lots noisier than most any other hydro I've ever owned or been around. One thing to check if you haven't already....there is a screen in the bottom of the hydro on the right side where you drain the tranny oil. The intake screen is behind this drain plug. To check the screen, you must drain all the oil out, then use a hooked wire or whatever works to pull the screen off the intake tube. One of mine got to where it would hardly lift the 3 point, and tractor movement was strange. I changed out to a NOS hydro & differential thinking it was just worn out. Turned out once I took it apart that the screen was clogged something awful with a slimy gel.

#7 48willys ONLINE  

48willys

• 146 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 07:32 AM

Well maybe It will fine with a good cleaning then :thumbs: . I noticed that screen on the parts list after I put atf in it. I just thought I would clean everything out when I change the gaskets. I'll try posting some pictures before I start.

#8 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 03:37 PM

yes i agree with olcowhand if that screen is gummed up it can stop everything i learned that messing with old cars keep the screen clean.
in Christ bobby

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 10:37 PM

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do with the Wis?

I will be following this thread to see how you are coming along, and "olcowhand" is one of the best on these Hogs !!

#10 48willys ONLINE  

48willys

• 146 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 09:00 PM

Posted Image
  • olcowhand and sacsr have said thanks

#11 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 08:08 AM

Love the Goodyear ags! I just bought some to put on mine! Thnks for posting the pics, look forward to seeing what you end up repowering it with!

#12 48willys ONLINE  

48willys

• 146 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 09:32 AM

Here's a few more pics.
Posted Image
Posted Image
  • sacsr said thank you

#13 48willys ONLINE  

48willys

• 146 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Well I got a kohler in it. I found a really nice 12hp engine with a flat oil pan and 1-1/8 shaft, so the swap was very easy. Though the engine had a gear starter I was able to fit the oem BH starter generator with a new bottom bracket and useing the BH top bracket. The only holes drilled on the tractor were for the rear engine mount but the rest lined up so over all it really hasn't hurt the tractor itself, I might need to drill one in the side though so I can get the screw out for the points cover. I'll try to get pics up tomorrow .
  • olcowhand, Titus and sacsr have said thanks

#14 Cub123 OFFLINE  

Cub123
  • Member No: 27785
  • 94 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Uploading some pics of the kohler swap for my brother, it was a pretty easy job putting the K-301 in it.
1363220506_zps88913654.jpg
1363219199_zps3d717076.jpg

#15 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 09:00 PM

Nice job!

Jack asked me to see if I could find out through my Bush Hog contacts whether a Kohler was ever put in any of the bush hog models at the factory. My contact said he was not aware of one, but if there was one, he was sure it would have been put in one of the HD models.
It looks like it belongs there!