9 replies to this topic

#1 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 09:58 AM

My K301 has oil seeping through the oil pan. I have removed the pan and cleaned it to the point you could eat off of it. Then coated it with JB Weld in a thin layer over the whole inside of the pan. It took a couple weeks for it to start seeping again. I am not sure what the next plan should or could be. Any ideas?

Geno

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 11:20 AM

Have you checked the cost and availability of a new pan. Also check ebay or our site sponsors for a used one.
  • bgkid2966 said thank you

#3 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 12:45 PM

The problem is funds are not available. I have a lot of supplies and that is why repair is the only way for now. If a solution can't be found I will have to save pennies for a while. In the meantime adding oil will do, especially with a snow storm due tomorrow.

Geno

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 12:52 PM

If you could post a picture of the problem area would help with making a decision of which way to go with a repair. But with out seeing the damaged area I would think that it could be mig/tig welded.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, December 19, 2012 - 01:57 PM.

• bgkid2966 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 01:06 PM

Unable to get pics right now. It will be a winter of keeping a close eye on the oil. The cracks look like stress cracks around the engine mount bosses. I first coated these areas with the JB Weld. It started seeping again, so it then got a complete coating on the inside of the pan. It only seeps about a teaspoon every two weeks.

I am just looking for ideas in preparation for the repair in the spring. The tractor is for moving snow only.

Geno

#6 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,309 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 01:51 PM

My K301 has oil seeping through the oil pan. I have removed the pan and cleaned it to the point you could eat off of it. Then coated it with JB Weld in a thin layer over the whole inside of the pan. It took a couple weeks for it to start seeping again. I am not sure what the next plan should or could be. Any ideas?

Geno

The Inside?? Sounds like it's a small crack that most likely gets worse when the engine heats up/ expands... I'd try the JB again but apply it on the Outside of the pan after a THOROUGH cleaning.. Wash the pan with soap and water to remove any oily residue before applying..

Another thought that comes to mind is that new 'spray on sealant'.. I wonder if it will withstand the high engine temperatures?? Investigate that a bit.. (hey- it worked on a boat!?!?)

Are you absolutely sure it's the pan leaking and not a crankshaft or points cover or breather seal? Just some random thoughts for ya on "Hump day" :firejumper: Good Luck!

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, December 19, 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#7 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 04:55 PM

Yes I am sure it is the pan. I like the idea of the spray on sealant. I will have to look into that for temp durability. The cracks are like hairlines. It does not leak much and it also does leak while just sitting too.

Geno

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 05:16 PM

The problem is funds are not available. I have a lot of supplies and that is why repair is the only way for now. If a solution can't be found I will have to save pennies for a while. In the meantime adding oil will do, especially with a snow storm due tomorrow.

Geno

I have an extra one here not sure if it is the right configuration for your engine or not; I know the JD versions don't have the "ears" for the mount bolts like this one does, the mount bolts thread directly into the pan on those; IIRC, some of the Cubs were the same way;
if yours is the "standard" style K 301, hey, kankakee isn't that far from Aurora... I've been thru there 2X in the last 2 weeks....
failing that; cast iron can be welded and/or brazed; no pressure there to retain besides gravity.

hey I'd let it go cheap!

Edited by dodge trucker, December 19, 2012 - 05:17 PM.

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#9 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 07:48 PM

Believe it or not my daughter lives in Manteno, Been to the malls in Kankakee several times, Small world isn't it...

I have an extra one here not sure if it is the right configuration for your engine or not; I know the JD versions don't have the "ears" for the mount bolts like this one does, the mount bolts thread directly into the pan on those; IIRC, some of the Cubs were the same way;
if yours is the "standard" style K 301, hey, kankakee isn't that far from Aurora... I've been thru there 2X in the last 2 weeks....
failing that; cast iron can be welded and/or brazed; no pressure there to retain besides gravity.

hey I'd let it go cheap!

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 08:13 PM

I've used this and it seems to work well , I would give it a try if you don't have someone to weld/braze it for you , Al
http://www.permatex....k-repair-detail
  • KennyP said thank you