• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted August 30, 2010 - 10:11 AM

Does know the difference between a stock kohler coil versus lets say a gm coil off a old smallblock. I know bosch makes a coil for garden tractors. i was in the part store and i saw a accel coil on the shelf , said it was 12 volt for hei or points on it . last week i tried to fire up my 100 after i put a new bat. & plug in it. No sspark , not sure if i mentioned but the key is on the " on possition " but its missin! Anyways it does turn over when you hit the button. I went and got a new set of points & condensor " kohler " and as far as the ignition i got a toggle switch with pigtailss on it just incase it does start, i want to be able to turn it off. i put a meter on the coil and it looks on the week side , i havent pulled the points cover off yet to see how bad there are corroded. i thought i would clean them up and see if maybe my problem is in the points , if not i'll get a new coil for it. i just wants to see if it starts up b4 i start cleanin it up and makin it look nice. back to the coil , should i stay with a stock coil or go with the bosch? any advise?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted August 30, 2010 - 10:26 AM

The Kohler coil has a built in resistor. The auto coils even if made for points style ignition, may or may not have a built in resistor. If you use a coil without a built in resistor, you have to use an external "ballast resistor" along with it or you will fry your points, & maybe the coil.