• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 07:06 PM

My Johnson loader cylinders need some love, actually rebuilding.

Anyone ever do them ? Any places online to order seals for them ? The pistons are in good shape, and only one cylinder is leaking pretty bad, but I'm going to redo two of them. The tilt cylinders seem to be fine.

Any help would be great and much appreciated.

Someone I know that rebuilds Johnson loaders for resale does cylinder rebuilds for $120 each, I'm sure I can do it if I know where to get the seals much cheaper. He won't disclose his source for parts. : (

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,200 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 07:16 PM

Ken we did the tilt cylinders on mine all the seals are standard sizes that you can get at a car parts stores just take the seal with you there.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 07:17 PM

They will almost surely be simple O-rings for the main pressure seals, and they "may" have dust wipers, but I'm not sure of what you have. The Parker Store can get you anything you need. Below is a link that should show the locations near you.

http://www.parker.co...nextfmt=default

#4 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 07:53 PM

the packings should be easy to get at napa if you got a part number if you neeed a hand give me a call i will shoot up with the car

#5 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 09:56 AM

the packings should be easy to get at napa if you got a part number if you neeed a hand give me a call i will shoot up with the car

Thanks for the offer Sam, and thanks Dan and Jerome for the info.

I should be able to change them myself, just wanted some ideas as to where to get the seals before I take them apart.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get them done.

#6 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 06:45 AM

i think 1 hour to 1 1/2hrs per cylinder

#7 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:29 AM

Update :

I finally got around to pulling the cylinder off to fix the leak.
One seal and 3 O rings are needed.
Napa has the seal in stock at their warehouse for $6.99 but I found the same seal NOS on E-Bay for $3.00 ! So I ordered 4 of them. $14.50 shipped
The seal part # is CR 11130 in case anyone needs one.
I'm going to rebuild all 4 cylinders. I'll pick up the 12 O rings locally since they are all common sizes.
And since I have it all apart, I'm going to replace all the 1/2" worn pins with new 5/8" pins. The loader will be better then new when I'm done, I HOPE.

Since its in the garage and it's nice and warm now, I'm also doing a tune up and fluid change.

New Points, plugs, condenser, coil and wires.
Oil & Filter
Trans fluid & Filter.
New Air filter & Filter housing (it's an older kohler K-582 with the shallow filter, I bought the larger one last year from Rick Show)

This old HT-23 and Johnson loader might not be a pretty one, but I use the hell out of it moving firewood and stuff. She deserves all this work I'm doing on it for sure.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 01:17 PM

I should be able to change them myself, just wanted some ideas as to where to get the seals before I take them apart.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get them done.

You should have Hydraulics shop around you that stocks all the seals, wipers, and O-rings you need. They will measure up everything you need. I rebuild several cylinders every year in my shop, I always take all the parts to my local shop and they go over it with me, sometimes finding things I didn't see.

#9 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 05:03 PM

They will almost surely be simple O-rings for the main pressure seals, and they "may" have dust wipers, but I'm not sure of what you have. The Parker Store can get you anything you need. Below is a link that should show the locations near you.

http://www.parker.co...nextfmt=default

I'm going to the Parker Store tomorrow, the dam thing is leaking AGAIN !! I'll take the cylinder with me and hopefully they have what I need, looks like they stock just about anything I could need.

The seal I replaced, must have only been part of the problem.

#10 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Dang Ken, is it me or do you just have a way of having hydraulic cylinder problems,if memory serves me correctly your log splitter was having this same issue awhile back,best of luck at the parker store and getting you're loader back in action. :thumbs:

#11 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:05 PM

hey i need that loader you can just send it my way lol.. i been looking for a ht23 with a loader and i want to have the loader and trencher on the ht20d then have the mower and 3pt on the ht23. but im striking out so far

#12 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 11:17 AM

Good luck, it should have been an easy fix. Hopefully there's nothing bent or pitted/scored.  You will need to post a few pics of your setup.

#13 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 02:06 PM

Parker store was a no go, they sent me to another place that I decided not to go to. It was in Camden, and this guy don't go to Camden unless its an only option. The murder & crime capital of the entire US.

I'll measure and order the O rings from McMaster.

#14 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:25 PM

The below picture is a JOKE guys. <br><br>
Well, she isn't dripping anymore. Lol <br><br>
Seriously, I picked up the 3 O rings that are needed besides the seal at Napa. <br><br>
Put them in tonight very carefully, lubed them up so that they did not get damaged. <br>
And guess what ? It's still leaking !! <br><br>
Seems to leak when retracting not extending. What's a dummy gotta do besides ty wrap a towel around it ? <br><br>
Signed <br>
Frustrated in NJ <br><br>
Someone pmed me and asked about Camden NJ <br><br>
Watch the video in this link if you have a few mins. Sad real sad. Both my parents and many relatives once worked in this city. <br><br>
<a href="http://inplainsight....y-violence?lite">http://inplainsight....y-violence?lite</a>

Attached Thumbnails

• image-3472293866.jpg

Edited by NJKen, March 12, 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#15 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 09:37 PM

The below picture is a JOKE guys. <br><br>
Well, she isn't dripping anymore. Lol <br><br>
Seriously, I picked up the 3 O rings that are needed besides the seal at Napa. <br><br>
Put them in tonight very carefully, lubed them up so that they did not get damaged. <br>
And guess what ? It's still leaking !! <br><br>
Seems to leak when retracting not extending. What's a dummy gotta do besides ty wrap a towel around it ? <br><br>
Signed <br>
Frustrated in NJ <br><br>
Someone pmed me and asked about Camden NJ <br><br>
Watch the video in this link if you have a few mins. Sad real sad. Both my parents and many relatives once worked in this city. <br><br>
<a href="http://inplainsight....y-violence?lite">http://inplainsight....y-violence?lite</a>

It's pretty safe between 10 am - 1pm, make a run for it :bigrofl: