• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 11:54 PM

I put chains on the wifes MF12H tonight after work. It and the MF10 diesel are wearing 630 dozer blades. The one on the MF12H took quite a bit of work to put back in service, it had a hard life. The talks of significant snow (4-10") are in the news. If they go any higher, I might have to drop the blade and put the blower on one of them.

Looks like the MF12H may see some plow time Wednesday night or Thursday. This is the first big job it will have since it was put back together from 2 basket case machines.

The MF10 diesel starts alot better with the group 51 optima, but with 33 degrees of injection timing cold starts are "fun". There are all kinds of angry diesel smoke and noises when it finally wakes up! I did acquire a new old stock ether start kit for $10 at a garage sale this spring and found some short ether cylinders.. but haven't gotten around to the crazy tight install in the tool box yet!

The thought of a backup machine is very nice, regardless of the fact it is 40 years old and all of the bugs aren't quite worked out yet. Cold starting the diesel at -30 with a little lawn and garden battery was a chore.
  • 1978murray and MFnut20 have said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 12:05 AM

Well it sounds like you are ready. I heard something about a crazy storm that's going to affect many. It's even supposed to bring heavy rain and wind here end of the week.

Well good luck! Hope all goes well with the MF12H on it's first workout and hopefully the diesel will start a little easier for you this time. :thumbs:

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 05:07 AM

lets get some videos if that snow falls....lol

#4 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 08:31 AM

I want a start up vid of the diesel

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 08:39 AM

I can't imagine trying to start anything at -30 ( including myself lol ) What kind of preparations do people do where you live ? Thanks , Al

#6 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 09:52 AM

I can't imagine trying to start anything at -30 ( including myself lol ) What kind of preparations do people do where you live ? Thanks , Al

Good question Alc i was wondering that myself.

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Sure would be nice to organize a SNOW plow day LOL! Of course, I'm not sure people could make it to the event in large numbers if there was enough snow to plow!

MF10, I think I've seen a partial write up of your diesel installation, but you were having issues with the exhaust routing. Could you give us some pics of the final installation and how you solved your exhaust problems?

#8 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Today the forecast changed... now we're in a blizzard warning till noon tomorrow. I worked like a madman today over in Iowa to get off early and get out ahead of the start of the storm. It actually started to get dark at about 3:30.

I will see if I can get some video of a cold start of the MF10 diesel for you guys, it is supposed to be about 20F out there after this thing blows through. Its kind of like starting a super farm pulling tractor, but there are no other cylinders to help the engine carry RPM. The MF10 diesel is equipped with a charge air heater and I can plug in a 120V oil pan heater and fuel tank heater if need be. The oil pan heater helps the 15W40 oil flow quicker when its cold, which in turn increases cranking speed. The tank heater usually don't get plugged in till about 0F, ultra low sulfur diesel has trouble gelling at about -7F with fuel anti gel additive mixed in heavily. the MF10 diesel likes to have a little snort of ether if it isn't plugged in to come to life.

Those -30F temps I mentioned aren't common for us, but occasionally we get arctic clippers which bring stupid cold weather this way. In 1993 it happened bigger than life, the wind chills with that one were -60F. We were warned not to have skin exposed outdoors. The starter broke the nose off on the 396 in my chevy pickup (I was 18 years old that year) my hand actually froze to the ratchet when I was changing the starter. We didn't have a garage, I remember seeing the steam coming out of my hands in the still air under that truck. I can still feel that cold in my body from that night...surreal.

Howard I'll have to look back at that old thread. I ended up cutting the lister petter exhaust up into weld els and then using all the bends to reroute the exhaust out the right of the tractor under the hood. I wrapped it with header wrap just in case. See the picture below.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by MF10 DIESEL, December 19, 2012 - 08:59 PM.

• MH81 said thank you