Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Why Is It To Far Away Once A Price Is Settled?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 03:48 PM

It has happened a few times now, negotiating a sale then after that I am too far away? I was talking to somebody from Jersey about the Cub and a deal was settled. I called him and it was a bad time. He texted me at 4 am the next day saying it was to far away, and he could only buy it if I delivered it. I said no, and he said he wouldn't have either! He was two hours away, and he knew this after the second email! Why must people do that? :mad2:

Ok... rant over...

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 04:02 PM

I just don't know Ryan, Some times I think people do this type of thing on purpose. Almost like it is just a game to them.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 04:10 PM

Yes,I have had that happen more times than I can remember.If they are too far away,then why negotiate in the first place.
That is something that does bug me as well.

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 04:19 PM

I don't think some people comprehend what they are reading. Their to interested in the deal and then once the deal is struck they suddenly realize how far they have to travel and it doesn't mean that much to them.

What gets to me is when you post a question and you give all the particular detail to the question and system details and then someone ask's for the details. I get this a lot on the Linux forums. You give your system details like processor, memory HDD size and sure enough 2 or 3 posts down some one ask's for the system details. Hello, anyone home.... :mad2:
  • mjodrey, chris m and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 04:22 PM

I don't think some people comprehend what they are reading. Their to interested in the deal and then once the deal is struck they suddenly realize how far they have to travel and it doesn't mean that much to them.

What gets to me is when you post a question and you give all the particular detail to the question and system details and then someone ask's for the details. I get this a lot on the Linux forums. You give your system details like processor, memory HDD size and sure enough 2 or 3 posts down some one ask's for the system details. Hello, anyone home.... :mad2:

Hi Bill I am home thanks for asking. I was just curios as to what your system details are? :deadhorse: :D
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#6 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 04:44 PM

I think it is a case of buyers remorse. It has also happened to me.

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,740 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:08 PM

I only talk numbers if I'm face to face. If someone wants to talk numbers over the phone, I refuse. Emails with price negotiations in them get deleted. Period. I just reply on the phone if they think it's something they're interested in to come on out and take a look. And if they decide when they're here they want to have it, it would be a good idea to have the same amount of cash along with as my asking price. I might not be in a haggling mood at that time.

Ryan, quit wasting time. Second email or phone call, tell em to show up or shut up.
  • Team_Green said thank you

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,943 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:12 PM

It might be his way of trying to get you to drop even farther. Or to save his gas money and to make you spend yours.

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,801 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:15 PM

There is an old saying: " Money talks, B.S. walks". Sometimes people realize that they are reaching too far.

Edited by boyscout862, December 17, 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:28 PM

It's frustrating selling stuff sometimes Ryan. It's all part of the "cost" of doing it. You can't count your money until it's in your pocket and the item you sold is leaving your yard. You will run into some real jerks but then you will meet some nice folks who are a pleasure to work with.

#11 OLDDOG140 OFFLINE  

OLDDOG140
  • Member No: 16302
  • 10 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:32 PM

thye thing that bugs me more than anything is a deal is made over the phone then when they show up they say all i have maybe half of what was agreed on . if you don,t have it don,t agree to it

#12 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:31 PM

Ryan, one of my recent faves was a lady was buying a fancy jogging stoller from me, ya know, the knid that are 300 bucks at the store? My asking price was 30 bucks, and she showed up with only twenties, I firmly believe in a thinly veiled attempt to get it for twenty.... I directed her to the nearest ATM location a few miles away. She returned with the proper amount of money the second time around...

On a better note, I had traveled some 80 miles ( one way) for some esoteric batteries from a private seller. When he figured out how far I had actually traveled, he knocked a chunk off his asking price without my input . I gratefully accepted.

#13 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:40 PM

One tactic when dealing with jokers like these is to identify a hard to get part or parts that make the item worthless without them . If bad faith rears its' ugly head you have a snappy comeback . And you could also add , oh by the way , those tires are staying with me . If jokers want to play games have some chips to play .

#14 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Got PayPal ? Get a deposit from them, then when they don't show tuff pattooties to them.

#15 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 06:22 AM

2 hrs is 'too far'? Balderdash! There are a whole lot of people that spend 2 hrs just commuting to work every day.

As for counting the cost of the trip as a part of the cost of the tractor/implement...I guess that's up to the individual.

Personally, I don't. Especially when I take the wife with me as she likes the traveling and seeing new country.

My last trip to pick up a tractor and some attachments took roughly a week, and was very close to 1700 miles in a motorhome that gets 7Mpg. Adding in the gas used for the generator when we were parked, lets call it 1700 even. Now gas was @ 3.30 at the time so that was $800.00 in gas alone. Add $130.00 for the trailer rental, now we are at 930.00. We were gone for a week, so add in $70.00 for meals/snacks, and we are at $1,000.00 just for the trip. That's what I paid for the tractor. The attachments were $525.00.

I did bring back a motorcycle for a fella who paid me $200.00, so my total out of pocket was roughly $2,325.00.

Now, for that $2,325.00, I ended up with an extremely rare Bolens Large Frame, a Haban Flail-Mo for the Tube Frames, a MacKissic rear mounted sprayer for the Tube Frames, and a VERY nice Brinly planter with 8 seed plates.

All in all I think it was well worth it, plus I got to meet some nice folks and see some nice countryside. Not to mention that the wife had fun as well, and as we all know...when momma is happy everyone is happy :D :D :D
  • HDWildBill and marlboro180 have said thanks