Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How Much Did It Cost You To Have A Cylinder Bored?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 03:46 PM

After searching for someone to bore my K301 .020 over I finally found a shop to do it.

I am just wondering if this is an average price for the job. I was quoted $100 to have this done.

Interested in hearing what others have had to pay.

#2 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 17, 2012 - 03:52 PM

I have had a few done in that price range but that usually includes the piston and rings. Usually when I drop off the parts and tell them to make it fit, the price is around $50

The big engine shops dont like to mess with the small stuff. I take mine to a local racing gokart shop that deals with small engines every day. Good service, great product and they usually have it done pretty quick, unless it is between seasons and everyone is getting their engine rebuilt.

Edited by rat88, December 17, 2012 - 03:56 PM.

• chris m and bja105 have said thanks

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 03:55 PM

I have had a few done in that price range but that usually includes the piston and rings. Usually when I drop off the parts and tell them to make it fit, the price is around $50

I just think It is higher around here because no one does it anymore. And I had to buy my own piston and rings.

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 04:50 PM

Sounds about the right price. Has anyone had a sleeve job? That runs more.
  • chris m said thank you

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:01 PM

Around $50 for a bore around Ky. Sleeving runs around $125+.
  • chris m and A.C.T. have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:11 PM

After searching for someone to bore my K301 .020 over I finally found a shop to do it.

I am just wondering if this is an average price for the job. I was quoted $100 to have this done.

Interested in hearing what others have had to pay.

We are in the Gold Coast area(DC to Boston) most labor costs are higher here. The shop overhead is higher too. On the other hand, We seem to get a lot of good stuff being thrown out or given away. Most of my tractors were freebies.

Look for the tools and do it yourself. I picked up a Soiux valve grinder for $135. With a little more practise on junk valves I can do them myself. I picked up a boring bar but haven't figured it out yet.

Edited by boyscout862, December 17, 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#7 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:37 PM

We are in the Gold Coast area(DC to Boston) most labor costs are higher here. The shop overhead is higher too. On the other hand, We seem to get a lot of good stuff being thrown out or given away. Most of my tractors were freebies.

Look for the tools and do it yourself. I picked up a Soiux valve grinder for $135. With a little more practise on junk valves I can do them myself. I picked up a boring bar but haven't figured it out yet.

I don't have access to a milling machine anymore and I have looked for a Boring bar that is it's own machine, but the prices are just to high for me to justify buying one atm. And yes labor is higher here and one reason is also because they know most have gone out of business or just don't do machine work anymore.
I used to have a real nice valve grinder it was an old (red) Black and Decker that I got from a tech school, it had everything on it even the setup to grind the stems. I kept it at my families summer cottage in the garage. A young couple stopped by when my Mom was there wondering if she had any junk to get rid of so they could make some money. Well... she forgot the grinder was mine and didn't know what it was and let them take it for scrap money :( On a brighter note the money went to people that needed it.

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Moms are great for that. When I left for the Army, my mother threw out; my comics from 57 - 65(in good condition), my special toys that I had saved, and tried to get rid of my footlocker full of old Lionel trains. Fortunately nobody wanted the big old trains just HOs at that time. I rescued the trains when I was home on leave.

Be patient, the old machine tools show up occassionally for a very low price. Good Luck
  • chris m said thank you

#9 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:53 PM

It's ok I still love my Mom :D And yes I will keep searching, This engine I will have someone else bore it for now, as I just want to get her up and running before (or if) we get any snow.

Glad you were able to rescue the large trains. I always loved those.

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:16 PM

I have been watching some of the "fixed stone" hone on ebay,they seem to be going for less than $150. These fixed stone hones are used for boring out cylinders to a precise diameter. They are not the flex hones. They can be expanded in increments so that you can bore out to an exact diameter. They are used in drills and drill presses.

On ebay search for ''amaco cylinder hone" "lisle cylinder hone"

I want to pick one up so that I can do my own but its that time of year when I am broke.

#11 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:19 PM

Have it bored by a reputable person that knows how to keep it centered to the crank ;) makes a big diff. For longevity.

#12 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:21 PM

Be careful with the "oversized brake hones". They may be good enough to get the job done, but not always good enough to get it done right. Cylinders will egg out and the flex hones will only take off the same amount all around and leave you with a bigger egg. Its best to get them bored on a mill.

#13 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,717 Thanks
  • 4,275 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:57 PM

The hone Coldone is talking about isn't a flex hone. I always heard them called a rigid hone or dial hone. Back in the 80s, Ford had a problem with piston slap in the Pinto engine. Their fix was to make pistons in about .003 increments and then hone the cyinder with a rigid hone until round then fit the next size up piston to it. After using that I had to have one. Mine is badged a Snap-On but it was built by Lisle I've done V8s with mine and haven't had a problem. I can take a small engine cylinder out pretty fast. It's seen a lot of use.
  • sacsr said thank you

#14 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 17, 2012 - 07:06 PM

Sorry about that. I did my homework after the essay test

#15 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 07:08 PM

Is this what you guys are talking about ?
http://allentown.cra...3416296103.html
  • Bruce Dorsi and chris m have said thanks