• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:18 PM

It's not like a young man who is all twisted up in his head is gonna give one iota about a permit.... ^^^ There is entirely too much conjecture about how he might have gained access to the firearms. Maybe they were in a locker, and he knew where the key was,,, sheese, let the authorities do their work, gain some knowlegde, then act accordingly. Rant mode off,,,, ;-)

Great article you posted there Toolpartzman, thank you.

Edited by marlboro180, December 17, 2012 - 06:20 PM.

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#17 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 07:54 AM

I really don't understand the access to the guns. I've had family members get Alzheimers and the first thing to do when the paranoia stage comes is keep them away from the guns. It would seem to be common sense that if you live with a mentally ill person who talks about violence or has outbursts that you would do the same.
  • dstaggs, Toolpartzman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#18 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 12:26 PM

I really don't understand the access to the guns. I've had family members get Alzheimers and the first thing to do when the paranoia stage comes is keep them away from the guns. It would seem to be common sense that if you live with a mentally ill person who talks about violence or has outbursts that you would do the same.

Unfortunately the "common sense" these days is very dumb. Common sense used to mean good sense, unfortunately these days it doesn't. The common sense is; we're entitled, its someone elses' fault, and we want it now(pay later).

The violent video games make violence seem like just a game. The players are numb and detached. I'd like to put alot of them through a real firefight where friends are hurt and you're scared spitless. Then it may not seem like a game. BTW, I don't play them.

Edited by boyscout862, December 18, 2012 - 12:32 PM.

• dstaggs, Texas Deere and Horse and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#19 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 04:54 PM

From another set of eyes, as told to me by a family member,
Think if he/she was your kid? The good times out weigh the bad, and no matter how old he/she is still your baby.
You look at him and you know he's an adult but you still remember the little boy and hope all will work out right, because you want the best for your baby. As a parent and I think just about any parent who is truthful can understand this. My wife is a social worker and some for the things she deals with are unbelievable, and trying to get help is easy to say, but in reality it's not. Take a look at your health insurance policy and see what they cover, you may be surprised how little and the hoops you need to jump, but you can get something for "erectile dysfunction". no problem.
  • dstaggs, Texas Deere and Horse, Toolpartzman and 2 others have said thanks

#20 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 08:17 PM

This is particularly troubling to me as well, and hopefully more and more will be known. ABC interviewed the mothers'
friends at a local watering hole and ALL of them were aware of her problems with Adam yet this "connection" with her guns and him still persists.

#21 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 08:22 PM

I just wanted to say thank you for not attacking the weapons themselves.

I dont know how the guns were secured in the house but I am sure we will find out in the next few days. Its not improbable that she had the guns locked up and the Kid killed her and then got the keys.

I do find it unusual for her to have a Bushmaster AR. Its not really a "girls" gun, but I do know a few that own them.

A report from ABC said she was shot "multiple times" apparently while sleeping. Presumably, she was found in bed which indicates he was armed, and therefore had access-or knew how to get them. I agree that the media is likely as clueless as all of us wanting answers-sadly most will never come. My big one is like yours-Why the Bushmaster?

Edited by Toolpartzman, December 18, 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#22 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 08:32 PM

From another set of eyes, as told to me by a family member,
Think if he/she was your kid? The good times out weigh the bad, and no matter how old he/she is still your baby.
You look at him and you know he's an adult but you still remember the little boy and hope all will work out right, because you want the best for your baby. As a parent and I think just about any parent who is truthful can understand this. My wife is a social worker and some for the things she deals with are unbelievable, and trying to get help is easy to say, but in reality it's not. Take a look at your health insurance policy and see what they cover, you may be surprised how little and the hoops you need to jump, but you can get something for "erectile dysfunction". no problem.

And after a 900 page, $Trillion Health Bill, its still ignored.
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#23 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Why the bushmaster, is a good question. Probably its because they, like all AR15/M16s, are easy to shoot, low recoil, accurate, light weight and ammo is readily available. I had 6 different M16A1s in the Army, they were all tack drivers and I never had a problem. They are easy to shoot accurately and are reliable. If you watch the reality shows from Alaska, you'll see they are popular there also. The AR15s and AK47s are for the people that want to be able to shoot with minimal training. Personally I prefer an 03 Springfield.

Edited by boyscout862, December 18, 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#24 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 01:06 AM

We have to agree with you all on this one, especially Joey. Nowadays especially, if you have a child, it's because you WANT a child, and it's your unspoken responsibility to raise him responsibly. We all love our kids, but it's up to us to recognise a problem and deal with it, and that's where our medical system and gov't. are failing us. It's no different here in Canada than what you are saying happens in your country. Then the anvil drops and a whole bunch of reactionary laws are put into place instead of dealing with the real problem. Plain old common sence and respect for others seem to have gone out the window.
  • Toolpartzman and boyscout862 have said thanks