#1 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 08:18 AM

This TITLE is the title of an excellent article I found on MSN News today and sorry I can't post a link-hope some one can help out. Its from the Blue Review, a non-profit journal based at Boise State. It depicts the real-life struggles a mother (the author) has in getting help for a mentally ill child. It points to the very thing we are grieving with today, the senseless and preventable murder of innocent school children. It further addresses the similarities between Adam Lanza, Eric Klebold, Jarod Loughner etc.
who have committed unspeakable crimes, and the solution we seek can only be found in medical illness overhaul-its not a gun problem. I Think I've got it http://now.msn.com/i...entally-ill-son

We must also be able to recognize an at risk child, and DO SOMETHING. The real Mrs Lanza new
this boy had problems, as did everyone who came in contact with him. No one acted. Now its too late.

Edited by Toolpartzman, December 17, 2012 - 08:24 AM.

• mjodrey, nra1ifer, tinner and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 08:41 AM

I must add a personal note about this subject, that I learned about the various stages of child development when my grandson was born. Child psychologists recognize that adolescents begin acquire to social skills at a very early age-those with older siblings, which whom to play learn it as early as 3 or 4.

#3 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 17, 2012 - 09:15 AM

This TITLE is the title of an excellent article I found on MSN News today and sorry I can't post a link-hope some one can help out. Its from the Blue Review, a non-profit journal based at Boise State. It depicts the real-life struggles a mother (the author) has in getting help for a mentally ill child. It points to the very thing we are grieving with today, the senseless and preventable murder of innocent school children. It further addresses the similarities between Adam Lanza, Eric Klebold, Jarod Loughner etc.
who have committed unspeakable crimes, and the solution we seek can only be found in medical illness overhaul-its not a gun problem. I Think I've got it http://now.msn.com/i...entally-ill-son

We must also be able to recognize an at risk child, and DO SOMETHING. The real Mrs Lanza new
this boy had problems, as did everyone who came in contact with him. No one acted. Now its too late.

There in lies the problem. A tortured mother can see it, but the political system in this country cannot. How ironic!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#4 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 09:51 AM

Only one question here. If you know you have an at risk child why have all those guns and ammo not locked up???
  • tractorman604, Toolpartzman, Joeys446 and 4 others have said thanks

#5 Toolpartzman ONLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Only one question here. If you know you have an at risk child why have all those guns and ammo not locked up???

Yeah, she may have had a screw or two loose herself.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#6 Joeys446 OFFLINE  

Joeys446

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7621
  • 24 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 12:29 PM

The problem is not gun control, it's parent control. If you let your kids watch murder shows on TV when they are young (3-12), then they know no differences. And we don't even want to start on the video games that I se Parents buying their kids, mostly to keep their kids in another room out of the parents hair.

It is time for parents to be responsible enough to raise their children with manners and respect among other things.

I will get off my soap box now.
  • dstaggs, tinner, jms180 and 8 others have said thanks

#7 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 01:20 PM

The problem is not gun control, it's parent control. If you let your kids watch murder shows on TV when they are young (3-12), then they know no differences. And we don't even want to start on the video games that I se Parents buying their kids, mostly to keep their kids in another room out of the parents hair.

It is time for parents to be responsible enough to raise their children with manners and respect among other things.

Thanks for your post I agree with you
  • Toolpartzman, Joeys446 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 John@Reliable ONLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 01:24 PM

There in lies the problem. A tortured mother can see it, but the political system in this country cannot. How ironic!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen it first hand in our family, to say the mental health system is broke would be an understatement. Many things like bi-poplar issues only come to light after a "kid" is over 18 and legally an adult. No easy answers for sure.
  • Toolpartzman and marlboro180 have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 02:58 PM

I have to wonder if sparing the rod contributes too. The kid in the article sure doesn't fear his mother nor punishment. The brain dead bleeding hearts will attack the tools not the operators. I'm sad and afraid that it will only get worse because our leaders will do what is popular but not do what is necessary.

Edited by boyscout862, December 17, 2012 - 02:58 PM.

• dstaggs, tinner, Texas Deere and Horse and 4 others have said thanks

#10 Joeys446 ONLINE  

Joeys446

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7621
  • 24 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 03:26 PM

When you are out in the public and you see a back talking or sassing their parents, the parents are not in control of their children. My kids know if I look at them a certain way, they have crossed the line.
  • dstaggs, caseguy, tinner and 4 others have said thanks

#11 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 03:34 PM

We need an entire nation to get on the soap box and read this ladies article. I believe the people on the front
line of a solution are knowledgeable parents, teachers and school psychiatrists to stop this where it starts.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Personally I have ZERO TOLERANCE for a mouthy child! I was brought up to have respect for others and will bring mine up the same way. Start young and maintain your ground. My brothers son is pretty mouthy but not to or his grandpa, unless he wants a boot in his butt!
This was truly a sad event that now has full attention, maybe this was his full intension? We may never know.... my prayers go out to allthose affected by this tradgity .
  • dstaggs, tinner, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#13 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 03:46 PM

This may ruffle some feathers here, but in my opinion, this case can be blamed partially on the access to the guns....The guns belonged to the mother, so I understand anyways.....\\\\the mother also knew her son had mental problems......Why the hell then would she have the guns around?

That said, I have no issue with people owning guns if they wish......However, they need to qualify somehow to have them......It goes without saying that to drive a car, you pass a test...Should be the same for the guns, to show that a person is qualified,...Why is that such an issue?
  • dstaggs, jms180, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:00 PM

This may ruffle some feathers here, but in my opinion, this case can be blamed partially on the access to the guns....The guns belonged to the mother, so I understand anyways.....\\\\the mother also knew her son had mental problems......Why the hell then would she have the guns around?

That said, I have no issue with people owning guns if they wish......However, they need to qualify somehow to have them......It goes without saying that to drive a car, you pass a test...Should be the same for the guns, to show that a person is qualified,...Why is that such an issue?

In Connecticut you need a carry permit for the pistols. The permit requires an FBI background check, local police approval, and a 4 hour safety course and test. If you keep the pistols in your house you don't need the permit. We have a mandatory 5 years added onto any sentence where a firearm is used in a crime. In almost 20 years, I've never seen it applied to a bad guy. Carrying a pistol without a permit is supposed to be a mandatory 1 year sentence. This is usually plea bargained away unless you have no criminal record, then they throw the book at you.
  • dstaggs, tinner and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#15 coldone ONLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:08 PM

I just wanted to say thank you for not attacking the weapons themselves.

I dont know how the guns were secured in the house but I am sure we will find out in the next few days. Its not improbable that she had the guns locked up and the Kid killed her and then got the keys.

I do find it unusual for her to have a Bushmaster AR. Its not really a "girls" gun, but I do know a few that own them.
  • dstaggs and Toolpartzman have said thanks