• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 mdwoodcarver OFFLINE  

mdwoodcarver

• Member No: 7329
  • 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 09:01 PM

well christmas came early here for me, my wife and son located a chief 100-a in a barn and now he is in my shed !!
I'm looking for a parts reference...any ideas? here is bubba J 20121215_133556.jpg Dec 15th.jpg

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 09:28 PM

Great looking score. I like them old Jake's, but no room in my collection for them... as I am out of space...
  • mdwoodcarver said thank you

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 09:29 PM

Thats nice! Bubba J looks in great shape for his age! Thinking around 1963 from the looks of that hood and grill. And great score on the front wheel weights! You rarely see them around.

Does he still have a model and serial tag on him?

As far as any parts reference we should have manuals for that in our manuals section.

If you can get the numbers off the tractors id tag and the motor tag that would help a lot. It should be a Kohler K241 though if it is a Jac 1000

Good luck with Bubba J :thumbs:

#4 mdwoodcarver OFFLINE  

mdwoodcarver

• 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 09:39 PM

Jac.jpg Tag on tractor says: model 100-A and serial number is 4267. i found a sheet last nite online that put him as a 1962. Gettin those wheel weights with Jacobsen on them was as rare as rare could be.
The engine plate gives me the serial number 589608 and a spec of 28671E The area for the model was rubbed off and the decal on front was wore off. I think it is a 10hp.

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Jac.jpg Tag on tractor says: model 100-A and serial number is 4267. i found a sheet last nite online that put him as a 1962. Gettin those wheel weights with Jacobsen on them was as rare as rare could be.
The engine plate gives me the serial number 589608 and a spec of 28671E The area for the model was rubbed off and the decal on front was wore off. I think it is a 10hp.

I knew it was around the 63 mark. You don't see many of the old ones like Bubba J around. My oldest Jac is a 65 and it has a different grill than yours. And if I remember correctly the 100-A is very rare!
If you get a chance take some more pictures, I would love to see if yours has the brake on the Trans input pulley besides the band brake on the opposite side. and would like to see what it has for a pto.
Sorry if I'm asking to much, I just love the old Jac's and that is the 1st 62 I have seen so far :D

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 10:16 PM

Ok this is interesting research so far! It looks like that engine is a K161 (7hp). Still digging so I'll be back. :D

#7 mdwoodcarver OFFLINE  

mdwoodcarver

• 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 10:16 PM

I have the brake band on the right side if sitting in the seat. i need to repair that as it was welded before and the weld is broken I believe that on the left side is just the pulley for the belt i havent gotten in there yet to look around. I did get the hood and fuel tank off today 20121215_133529.jpg Jacobson.jpg Jacobson 3.jpg
  • chris m said thank you

#8 mdwoodcarver OFFLINE  

mdwoodcarver

• 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Jacobson 2.jpg Last picture i have for now. I know i need a shifter boot and a axel seal and a seal for where the brake pulley shaft comes out.i need to replace the wood under the seat.Not bad at all for the age of this baby.
  • chris m said thank you

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 10:28 PM

After seeing these pictures, the muffler is a clue also, and I looked up the K161 with your spec and it shows up. That spec# also didn't show up under the K181 or the K241. So a K161 ( 7hp) it is.

It looks like everything is there on this one even :thumbs:

Also you have the front mount for the snow blade or a snowblower, and the lift arm has the piece that is usually missing to mount the lift rod from either a blade or a blower. :thumbs:

#10 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 10:33 PM

I haven't found any info on these trans yet. I have been searching for myself and nothing so far. They appear to be units that Jacobsen made just for these tractors. Unlike the later ones that all use a Peerless.

I have to replace Bushings in the axle tubes on mine ( I don't believe there bearings)

So what I suggest is if you ever come across any of these old machines even if there junk save them for trans parts.

#11 mdwoodcarver OFFLINE  

mdwoodcarver

• 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for looking up the engine info Chris . I was on Kohler last night looking around but i wasnt 100 % sure.

#12 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for looking up the engine info Chris . I was on Kohler last night looking around but i wasnt 100 % sure.

NP! Like I said I just love these old Jac's and I love to help were I can :D

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 10:48 PM

One of these days I will find an old trans like these have and dissect it so I can mic everything up and see what it uses for seals, bearings and bushings.

#14 mdwoodcarver OFFLINE  

mdwoodcarver

• 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 11:01 PM

That would be a great idea. i always have my eyes scanning old farms while driving by looking for projects.I'm gonna get the measurments for the seal at the brake band shaft and try to get it crossed over to buy locally.
  • chris m said thank you

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 02:22 AM

Nice find, great looking tractor. Bet Bubba J looks nice setting in the shed next to the PK. Kinda like a little brother.

The whole unit looks to have been well cared for, even the mower deck looks to be in great shape.

Thanks for the pics and good luck on your info search.