#61 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:22 PM

bolens 850 restoration 004.JPG bolens 850 restoration 006.JPG

finished painting everything that needed to be brown. a few pics... has some dirt in it but has a nuce gloss an that paint it rust-oliem for when i restored my 1050 in 2002
. mounting the engint tomarrow an start running the new wireing harness

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens 850 restoration 007.JPG
  • bolens 850 restoration 001.JPG
  • bolens 850 restoration 002.JPG

Edited by 1967bolens collector, January 08, 2013 - 09:31 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#62 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:24 PM

Looks Good

whats with the extremely long muffler pipe?

#63 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:34 PM

Looks Good

whats with the extremely long muffler pipe?

my grandad put that on 35 years ago an this was his sine new so i want to keep it the way he had it. if i removed it i think it would ruin them memories for me i use to ride on his lap until i was 4. i got to run it at 5 or 6

Edited by 1967bolens collector, January 08, 2013 - 09:35 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and KennyP have said thanks

#64 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 02:17 PM

What's with the extremely long muffler pipe?

I was actually wondering that myself as well.  IDK if his Grandad put that on to direct the exhaust away from him and more towards the ground maybe?  It does seem odd to me as it is not a different style muffler or anything, but just some pipe extensions used to relocate the stock muffler...

I have to say though that it is a very brown engine now, lol...  IDK if that is how they came when new and I'm just used to seeing the older engines now with worn paint on them or if they only painted the engine covers and baffles brown and the rest of the engine was just natural cast-iron colored?  I'm assuming you masked off the engine model number plates and such?

Edited by MailmAn, January 09, 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#65 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 04:53 PM

I was actually wondering that myself as well.  IDK if his Grandad put that on to direct the exhaust away from him and more towards the ground maybe?  It does seem odd to me as it is not a different style muffler or anything, but just some pipe extensions used to relocate the stock muffler...

I have to say though that it is a very brown engine now, lol...  IDK if that is how they came when new and I'm just used to seeing the older engines now with worn paint on them or if they only painted the engine covers and baffles brown and the rest of the engine was just natural cast-iron colored?  I'm assuming you masked off the engine model number plates and such?

yes i taped the plate off and as far as i know the engine is all brown on them, i was going to paint the flywheel sliver but i didnt feel like takeing it apart

#66 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 04:56 PM

The engines were painted brown (Cordovan) at the factory. Usually the engines were all together when the brown was sprayed.

I've never found an answer if they were painted by Wisconsin or if Bolens did them in their plant....

• MailmAn said thank you

#67 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 05:17 PM

The engines were painted brown (Cordovan) at the factory. Usually the engines were all together when the brown was sprayed.
I've never found an answer if they were painted by Wisconsin or if Bolens did them in their plant....

i beleave bolens painted them because i think wisconsin painted there engines green

#68 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:16 PM

how does it look now i put the new starter/generator, starter selinoid, coil and plug wire? then i blast the carb ans rebould it that will be bare aluminum so it will look better but i think it came out great.i got a N.O.S wireing harness for it. i got a late start today and my dad had to goto NY so nothging got painted

bolens 850 restoration 001.JPG bolens 850 restoration 002.JPG bolens 850 restoration 003.JPG
  • sacsr said thank you

#69 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:18 PM

how does it look now i put the new starter/generator, starter selinoid, coil and plug wire? then i blast the carb ans rebould it that will be bare aluminum so it will look better but i think it came out great.i got a N.O.S wireing harness for it. i got a late start today and my dad had to goto NY so nothging got painted

bolens 850 restoration 001.JPG bolens 850 restoration 002.JPG bolens 850 restoration 003.JPG

#70 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:12 PM

Looks good!!  Although I'm kinda curious why you didn't paint the Starter/Generator brown as well and left it black?  I'm assuming that it was rebuilt?  When I got mine rebuilt, it was painted black and grey and I had to paint it brown before I installed it.  Everything else looks really good.  I love the nice clean and freshly painted black voltage regulator box.  Did you just paint the old one or did you buy a new regulator for it?  Looks like it is coming together nicely. 

Where did you get the wiring harness for it and how much did that set you back?  It must be a lot nicer to work with fresh, new wires than the old, cracked, stiff wires.  I wish I had run all new wiring through my 850, but it wasn't that bad overall, although some of the wiring, especially the small wires attached to the coil (+) and (-) terminals, were very brittle on mine.  I'd like to get a fresh set of wires on my EK while I am working on it as well.  I could just cut and run my own new wiring, but if the price is right, might be nice to have an OEM-style new wiring harness in it...

Edited by MailmAn, January 09, 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#71 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 06:21 AM

it was rebuilt and i like it black... this starter is the only 1 i seen with a oiler hole for the bearing you lift a tab an you can squrt oil in there
  • MailmAn said thank you

#72 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:46 AM

. this starter is the only 1 i seen with a oiler hole for the bearing you lift a tab an you can squrt oil in there

The ones with the bushing on the end had those but often they would come out and no one would replace them. When they went to sealed bearings oiling was no longer necessary.

• 1967bolens collector and MailmAn have said thanks

#73 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 03:41 PM

well today has been a terable. i wet sanded the fenders came out nice, start doing the hood and the paint starts getting ripples in it like it was still wet but it wasnt, then i was supose to get my new front tires yesterday but didnt get here until today so i open em up and 1 is defective.. the inside you can see the belt if the tire... and on top of that my tooth is broke and it hurts so im done for the day. my dad is blasting the posthole digger now so i hope he gets that done today

#74 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 04:08 PM

Sorry to hear about all the troubles today.  Hopefully it will get better to-morrow.  You've been making really good (and lightning fast compared with some of us...) progress on your 850 so far, so don't feel too down about it.  You're bound to have a few slow or bad days here and there...

Have you gone to see a dentist about your tooth?

#75 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 04:54 PM

yea it just dissapoints you when you pour your heart and soul in something then stuff happens like this the tire toped it for me