86 replies to this topic

#31 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 06:19 PM

well i got the final coat on the frame it looks great,, ordered a decal set from maple hunter decals for $34.00 + $7.00 shippping witch i think is high but what do i kno im jus a dumb farm boy

#32 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:07 PM

well got the final coat on the frame looks great... want to get 4 new tires but there 260 for 8.50x12s an 400-8 tri rib but not in the buget

#33 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 10:01 AM

well i got the final coat on the frame it looks great,, ordered a decal set from maple hunter decals for $34.00 + $7.00 shippping witch i think is high but what do i kno im jus a dumb farm boy

That is cheap for decals and Maple Hunter is the cheapest out there for decals.  I almost ordered from them for my decals, but I ended up talking with Corey Foerster over at Vintage Reproductions (http://www.clickitandstickit.com/) instead and he talked me into paying quite a bit more for better decals.  Of course, he also worked with me to help create some custom decals for my 850, like the Hi/Lo Range decal and the red stripe decal for my hood, both of which were not available at the time.  He also custom made Model and Serial Number decals for Bolens 1000 and myself.  They aren't cheap though at $72 a set plus shipping (which is like $5-$7 as well), but I have to say that I was very pleased with the quality of the decals and they seem very thick and like they will last a long time.  (Now if I could have done a better job actually applying the decals, that would hawe helped a lot, but that's another story...)

I don't have any personal experience with Maple Hunter myself, but I thave heard some mixed reviews of them from people on the site that have used them.  You'll have to let us know how you make out with them.

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 10:11 AM

well got the final coat on the frame looks great... want to get 4 new tires but there 260 for 8.50x12s an 400-8 tri rib but not in the buget

No Pics? I need a fix here!

#35 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 10:14 AM

bolens%20850%20restoration%20008.JPG

Nice job on the steering wheel.  What color paint did you use?  I wasn't sure if the steering wheel is the same color as the rest of the tractor (like the hood and fenders) or if it is more of a bright white?  I should paint mine as well.  It looks out of place on mine to have most of the rest of the tractor nicely painted while the steering wheel is old and cracked and parts of it look black for some reason, lol...

1) Are you going to fill in those cracks in the steering wheel? I have had great success using epoxy then sanding it down to a smooth finish.

What kind of epoxy do you use to fill in the cracks with, Doc?  Is there anything special in particular you should use on it so it adheres better to whatever material the steering wheel is made out of?  How hard is it to fill and sand it down smooth so it looks good and it is not all lumpy or uneven?

Edited by MailmAn, December 30, 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#36 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 10:44 AM

What kind of epoxy do you use to fill in the cracks with, Doc?  Is there anything special in particular you should use on it so it adheres better to whatever material the steering wheel is made out of?  How hard is it to fill and sand it down smooth so it looks good and it is not all lumpy or uneven?

I believe on the last one I did I just used a good quality body filler.....

#37 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 05:37 PM

i would think after a while the vibration would make it come out but i will give it a shot. my big air compresser is down so i cant get the hood an stuff blasted :(

#38 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 10:00 AM

What kind of epoxy do you use to fill in the cracks with?  Is there anything special in particular you should use on it so it adheres better to whatever material the steering wheel is made out of?  How hard is it to fill and sand it down smooth so it looks good and it is not all lumpy or uneven?

One of the epoxy products which is commonly used to repair cracked steering wheels is "PC-7."   .....It was sold by Eastwood for many years for steering wheel repairs. .....It can be found for less $$$ at hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

PC-7 is a two-component epoxy.   ....It is usually sold in a pair of metal cans.  .....It is more viscous than some epoxies, so it does not "run" as easily. 

There is also an epoxy putty which may be easier to use. 

Most epoxies can be sanded, but it is easier if the epoxy is applied neatly to begin.

• Bolens 1000 and MailmAn have said thanks

#39 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 10:31 AM

One of the epoxy products which is commonly used to repair cracked steering wheels is "PC-7."   .....It was sold by Eastwood for many years for steering wheel repairs. .....It can be found for less $$$ at hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

PC-7 is a two-component epoxy.   ....It is usually sold in a pair of metal cans.  .....It is more viscous than some epoxies, so it does not "run" as easily. 

There is also an epoxy putty which may be easier to use. 

Most epoxies can be sanded, but it is easier if the epoxy is applied neatly to begin.

I have used that brand on quite a few Steering wheels and holds up quite well.

I think they are using a plastic tube now instead of the can as I cant seem to find it in the can anymore...

#40 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 02:42 PM

i have like 15 thinks of good 2 part epoxy, i didnt want to put it on there then not be able to sand it that stuff gets hard as metal seems like

#41 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 10:57 AM

well my dad did alot of sanb blasting for me yesterday, i was in bed until 3pm with a new years hang over but will have some pics today

#42 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 08:26 PM

bolens 850 restoration 001.JPG bolens 850 restoration 002.JPG bolens 850 restoration 005.JPG bolens 850 restoration 006.JPG bolens 850 restoration 010.JPG bolens 850 restoration 008.JPG

well i got the fender pan, front wheels and counter weight brakets in primer. should get the hood, engine, and some other stuff in primer. the back wheels came out nice i used ford red. hopeing on getting the decals tomarrow in the mail

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, farmerall and 1 other said thanks

#43 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Looking Good :thumbs:

• 1967bolens collector said thank you

#44 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 11:41 AM

well i got the decals in the mail and im kinda dissapointed there is no red tape that goes on the hood or the "BE CAREFUL" decal that is on the dash tower. there nice looking decals but they should of came with the set

#45 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 12:19 PM

well i got the decals in the mail and im kinda dissapointed there is no red tape that goes on the hood or the "BE CAREFUL" decal that is on the dash tower.

Vintage Reproductions (http://www.clickitandstickit.com) has the red stripe decal and I'm sure the "Be Careful" one as well.  I worked with him to help make the red stripe decal for my 850.  I'm sure if you call him up or E-mail him and specifically request those 2 decals that he will sell them to you for pretty cheap.  I can't say for certain, but maybe $10-20 for the pair for the individual decals?  He doesn't have to sell you a whole set - whatever you need he will be most accomodating.  It's worth a shot at least, right?

(Oh, and BTW - here is a direct link to the full decal set at least so you can see what I'm talking about:  http://www.clickitan...-decal-set.html  Just call him up and ask for only the missing decals you need though.  Also, now that I read it again, I'm not sure what the "BE CAREFUL" decal on the dash tower is that you are talking about as I don't have one on mine.  Was that a deck decal that someone slapped on the dash for some reason?  Is this what you are talking about? ->  http://www.clickitan...-careful-decal/)

Edited by MailmAn, January 03, 2013 - 12:25 PM.