• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• Member No: 4935
  • 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 05:15 PM

I picked up a Powermate 5KW generator last week for free! It has a B&S 10hp engine and after checking the serial number I find that it is nearly 20 years old. Looking at the muffler it looks like it may have been ran a couple of times. The throttle and choke on the carb were frozen from old gas that had gelled. I cleaned the carb, changed the oil and after putting a little gas in it, it fired up after the second pull.

I really don't know how much I will use it but I have thought about putting a regulator on it so that it would run off the natural gas coming to the house or gasoline. With natural gas, I won't have to worry about stale fuel and gelled carburetors.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0483.JPG
  • 100_0482.JPG
  • 100_0484.JPG
  • 100_0485.JPG

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 05:21 PM

Quick, go buy a lottery ticket.

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 05:29 PM

Great score! That is in excellent shape! Just use Seafoam in your gas so you won't have to worry about the carb getting gummed up.

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 05:35 PM

Nice find. The Natural Gas idea sound pretty good. If you should loose pwr for and extended period then at least you will have some Elect. Pwr and not have to worry about getting gas. I just cleaned the carburetor on our Generator, the Electronic shut off quite working so while I had it off I decided to go ahead and clean it out since I hadn't started it in a while. I was surprised it wasn't that dirty.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 08:26 PM

That one is just like Dad's it works great, you'll love it.

One thing I noticed is that it seems to start & run better on 93 than the regular gas. With 87 I keep having to fidget with the power jet..
  • philips100 said thank you

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 08:33 PM

You are best off putting Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and running it out completely before you put it away. If the oil has more than a couple of hours on it, change it too. Turn the crank by hand until you feel compression and leave it there. That is a good generator if you take care of it. Unfortunately, most owners don't take care of them.

If it only has a few hours on it you may run into a problem with the generator. At about 5 hours, mine and several others stopped producing electricity. It turned out that the outboard bearings leaked grease onto the sliprings. Remove the plastic cover between the outlets. Unscrew the brushes and remove them. Wash the brushes with carb cleaner and file the brush faces a little until they are clean. Clean the rings with Q-tips soaked with carb cleaner. Just stick them down the holes that the brushes were in and rub the end. Turn the engine to progress the cleaning of both rings. Go around atleast twice. I usually use 40 Q-tips. Then reassemble and try it.

I point the above out to let everyone know that these older generators had a problem but it is easy to fix. I was given one that didn't work anymore. I did the above and it worked. I gave it back. Good Luck all.
  • MH81, Alc and philips100 have said thanks

#7 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• Member No: 4935
  • 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thanks, that is good advice to hand crank it to the compression stroke and thanks for the heads up generator bearing.

I like to use fogging oil when I store an engine for long period and always run the carburetor dry.

You are best off putting Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and running it out completely before you put it away. If the oil has more than a couple of hours on it, change it too. Turn the crank by hand until you feel compression and leave it there. That is a good generator if you take care of it. Unfortunately, most owners don't take care of them.

If it only has a few hours on it you may run into a problem with the generator. At about 5 hours, mine and several others stopped producing electricity. It turned out that the outboard bearings leaked grease onto the sliprings. Remove the plastic cover between the outlets. Unscrew the brushes and remove them. Wash the brushes with carb cleaner and file the brush faces a little until they are clean. Clean the rings with Q-tips soaked with carb cleaner. Just stick them down the holes that the brushes were in and rub the end. Turn the engine to progress the cleaning of both rings. Go around atleast twice. I usually use 40 Q-tips. Then reassemble and try it.

I point the above out to let everyone know that these older generators had a problem but it is easy to fix. I was given one that didn't work anymore. I did the above and it worked. I gave it back. Good Luck all.

• boyscout862 said thank you