• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 04:57 PM

There are very few economy tractors in my part of the country. In fact only three other than mine that I know of. I am looking for a front blade for mine and contacted one of the guys with a tractor. He did not want to sell his blade. In the conversation I found that he had a cycle bar mower that he would sell. I purchased it! I know nothing about these but that he says it is all there. He seems to be a honest guy and I don't doubt him. It does not look bad at all in that the bar and blade all look good. The bearing that is next to the pitman arm is very stiff so will need replaced or maybe taken apart and lubed. I am not really clear on how the mower mounts and lifts SOOO could someone please post or forward to my e-mail some pictures of their mower attached or even un attached so that I can see someone elses complete mower. The owner indicated that it is necessary to take the motor on the tractor loose or use a link belt to run the mower. SURELY there is something easier than that to mount the mower! ANY AND ALL ADVICE AND PICTURES WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.
I will pick this mower up in the next week or so and can provide pictures when I get it home.

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 05:15 PM

I don't recall off hand of any sickle mower that drives off the clutch pulley.They used a Haban on the later years and I think Dearborn made the earlier ones.What color is it,any pictures?

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 06:09 PM

I wished you lived closer I'm sure it would be big $$$ to get it shipped .
http://lancaster.cra...3397369206.html

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 06:14 PM

SICLE mower! Hope that is a Haban brand for ease of parts. The mount on these is kinda complicated. Yes it can run off the front pto IF you got all the mule drive and parts with the unit. Haban parts might still be bought thru them I think, but not that mount for PK. I'm also thinking IH systems are same blades and other parts. Think the info I have on thumbdrive covers the Haban, maybe I can dig it out and see what is there on it. The Yahoo Groups / Power King page will have info on it, I think and photos. Couple people there have some on tractors too.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Alc, that s ONLY for the smaller fiberglass body tractors, won't fit the metal tractors or bigger ones. Nice blade and not too bad a price, but kinda limited on what it fits. 1200 series are a smaller lawn tractor, not the garden tractor series. Blades aren't hard to find for PK, fit many years if you get right ones.
  • Alc said thank you

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 08:15 PM

Looked at the thumn drive and has articles and manual for the mower IF itis a Haban brand. Have one on same brand for a Cub Cadet too. Was 23 pages, so didn't print out for posting here. Think I can send to an email addess if you send me yours. glperry4 at yahoo dot com is mine. Don't know how to send info here to post, not that sharp on puters. Looks fairly complicated and Lots of parts shown! It does show the mule drive like system running off the front pulley too.

#7 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hi,

Here are a couple of pics of my 1967 Economy Power King with a sickle bar mower.
This is not a Haban. It is a period correct model for the front drive non electric pto tractors.
I bought it on ebay from a guy in Illinois. It is in pretty good shape and only required one knife section, paint
and a new grass board.

If your sickle bar mower is driven off of the clutch v-belt area, then it probably is an earlier model.

The pictures were taken at the 2011 Portersville show that had over 30 different Economy/Power King/Jim Dandy tractors and I understand that they are planning another big showing with Economy/Power King/Jim Dandy tractors for 2013.

Good luck with your sickle bar mower.

Chuck

Power king 005.JPG Power king 006.JPG Power king 007.JPG

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 07:22 PM

Nice tractor Chuck :thumbs: I didn't see the belt on yours would it run back from the front kind of like the mower deck would be ? Thanks Al

#9 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Hi,

Yes, the belt was off the front engine pulley during that show.

Thanks for the compliment. The tractor was "free" but located in Florida.
It had sat for 10+ years and was in pretty sorry condition.

It also was the start of this collection disease!

Chuck

#10 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 06:04 PM

I will pick the mower up in the next few days and get some photos of it. This mower for sure does not drive from the front of the tractor. It drives off the pully at the rear of the motor. The belt goes directly down from the pully to the mower pully. The mower bolts to the 2 frame holes one either side just in front of and just behind the pullies behind the motor. I am not sure if it has a manually activated idler or exactly what to engage it.
Pictures will follow.

#11 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 12595
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 07:35 PM

Next to a toolbar the sickle bar mower is my most desired implement.