Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Anyone Know What's Inside This Fitting?

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ggsteve OFFLINE  


    New Member

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts
  • Location: North Central MA

Posted December 16, 2012 - 02:17 PM

I am thinking I should grease the bearings at each end of my snow thrower auger. There are no zerks anywhere on the auger or bearing. Does anyone have a snow thrower with this fitting? If you greased it can you tell me how you did it? If I take it apart are there pieces inside that I will undoubtedly lose?

Posted Image

While we're at it, is there anywhere else I should grease? I checked the gear box a few months ago.

Posted Image

#2 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  


    Fun With Horsepower

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts
  • Location: Little Rock,AR

Posted December 16, 2012 - 03:04 PM

Someone will know better than I, but it looks to like a low-speed floating bushing that needs dis-assembly to lube. ?



    Proud to be Deplorable

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,975 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 03:12 PM

If its a bearing, it's probably a sealed unit. Unless they are stiff, I would leave them be.

When you have to replace them, you may be able to install a fitting and take one side of the seal out so you can grease it in the future

If it's a bushing, you will have to take it apart to properly lube. You may be able to install a fitting while you're doing it.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  


    Super Moderator

  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,644 Thanks
  • 14,158 posts
  • Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia - Canada

Posted December 16, 2012 - 03:42 PM

Have you got a parts manual. It should give a description that would tell you if it's a bushing or a bearing. My Ariens commercial blower has bearings at the ends of the auger and I think it also has grease fittings.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  


    Getting Out!

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,741 Thanks
  • 7,978 posts
  • Location: Huntington, IN 46750 North East in State

Posted December 16, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Those are common bearings that have that sheid/mount usually on each side of the tin. The bearing is rounded and the sheild is tapered to match ad allows some movement and tightens down when bolted tight. Common item. Most are sealed bearings till you get into bigger ones. Most farm stores have those to buy in pieces. Some will also have a collar to lock the center to the shaft to make sure it moves with it. Don't think this lighter version has that. Just oil it. Looks new to me, will last long time.