• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tractorbuds OFFLINE  

Tractorbuds
  • Member No: 15069
  • 13 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi there. My son and I are working on a newly acquired Bolens 1250. It's really nice straight clean tractor, but has been stored for at least 5 years and was not put away properly. I took at least a quart of rust flakes out of the gas tank and it took half a day of hard work to get it back to useable condition.

Now I am working on the engine. The carb as actually deteriorated inside, metal has just corroded away. The nozzle is frozen in place and previous owner stripped the spot where your slot screwdriver fits in. I soaked it and gently tried to extract it with an easy out, but no luck.

The carb is a Walbro LMH-18. I am not familiar with these old iron block engines and I'm wondering what other brands/sizes of engines used this carb? I didn't see any on ebay....so I am a little worried about finding a replacement.

Is there an alternative more readily available carb that would work?

Your help would be much appreciated.

john.rinsma@gmail.com

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,250 Thanks
  • 17,423 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 01:59 PM

Welcome to GTT! :wave:

I would start off checking with our site sponsors (Bob's or Joes) as there is a very good chance they have a used carb in stock. http://gardentractor...-site-sponsors/

We would love to see some pictures of your Bolens!
Did it come with any attachments?

#3 Tractorbuds OFFLINE  

Tractorbuds
  • 13 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 02:18 PM

Here are some pics. It came with a mower deck that was modified to work as a belly mount or front mount. It also came with a home made snow plow and lifting assembly - rough. The throttle and choke cables are not original and the depth indicator gauge is gone.

First things first, I have to get it running.

Then I need to hope the hydro is good in it.

Presently, it is in neutral and seems to be stuck. It won't shift out.....?

The rear tires are in great shape, so I'm guessing they have been replaced at some point.

We are into it for $500, so I hope there won't be too many surprises...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1194.jpg
  • IMG_1195.jpg
  • IMG_1196.jpg
  • IMG_1197.jpg
  • IMG_1198.jpg

• MailmAn said thank you

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,421 Thanks
  • 2,124 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 03:01 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. Not a bad looking 1250.

As for the carb i should have a few of them here if you need one. Also as for the stuck in neutral remove the fender pan and look for where the linkage is hooked onto the relive valve on top of the trans and unhook it. That will tell you if it is stuck at the lever or in the valve.If it is the valve remove it and clean it out as i have had them stuck there from old grease and stuff. Just be carful when taking the valve apart and not loose the spring and ball in it.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#5 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 03:33 PM

welcome to the gt forum good looking gt go ahead and work with it it'll all come together and you be glad you did these guys will be there to advise and help . have a blessed day in christ bobby

#6 Tractorbuds OFFLINE  

Tractorbuds
  • 13 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 03:49 PM

As for the carb i should have a few of them here if you need one. Also as for the stuck in neutral remove the fender pan and look for where the linkage is hooked onto the relive valve on top of the trans and unhook it. That will tell you if it is stuck at the lever or in the valve.If it is the valve remove it and clean it out as i have had them stuck there from old grease and stuff. Just be carful when taking the valve apart and not loose the spring and ball in it.

How much for a carb. I can rebuild it, but everything has to be able to come apart and please check out the nozzle - mine was 'screwed'

cheers

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,354 Thanks
  • 7,841 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 03:58 PM

Welcome to GTT. That it a nice looking 1250.

I have many tractors and my favorites are my 1250s. Before you sink too much money into that engine do some checking. Does it turn over? Does it have compression? If no on either question, you have to further check to decide if the engine is worth saving. I fear that water got into the block. Check the transaxle for water too. Drain a cup of fluid from the bottom of the transaxle. That can usually tell you alot. Good Luck

#8 Tractorbuds OFFLINE  

Tractorbuds
  • 13 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 05:17 PM

Welcome to GTT. That it a nice looking 1250.

I have many tractors and my favorites are my 1250s. Before you sink too much money into that engine do some checking. Does it turn over? Does it have compression? If no on either question, you have to further check to decide if the engine is worth saving. I fear that water got into the block. Check the transaxle for water too. Drain a cup of fluid from the bottom of the transaxle. That can usually tell you alot. Good Luck

It does crank over. 50 psi is all I'm getting out of it for compression, but it has been sitting in a garage for 5 years, so I'm sure I could get that number up a little if I put a little oil down the cylinder. What should it be at?

We can also move the tractor back and forth with the motor cranking over. Hyd lift works as well.

Fluid is very clean, bring red and there wasn't any noticeable water coming out when I pulled the plug.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#9 Tractorbuds OFFLINE  

Tractorbuds
  • 13 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 05:19 PM

You we're right about the valve. The ball & spring were stuck. A good cleaning and anti-seeze, we're back in business!

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,250 Thanks
  • 17,423 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 05:32 PM

It does crank over. 50 psi is all I'm getting out of it for compression, but it has been sitting in a garage for 5 years, so I'm sure I could get that number up a little if I put a little oil down the cylinder. What should it be at?

These engines were furnished with compression release which is why you are getting the low reading.
Also like you mentioned sitting for so many years will cause poor compression as well.

#11 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,354 Thanks
  • 7,841 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 08:09 PM

You are on a roll so far. Check the spark next.

When you said that you soaked the carb, what did you soak it in? I've been slowly progressing on a carb for over a month. I soaked it overnight in vinegar and water which cleaned it and even ate out corrosion in the passages. The float valve is still stuck. Tomorrow I'll try blowing it out. Some of the guys like to soak the carbs in lemon juice. Good Luck
  • MailmAn said thank you

#12 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 295 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 11:38 AM

When you said that you soaked the carb, what did you soak it in? I've been slowly progressing on a carb for over a month. I soaked it overnight in vinegar and water which cleaned it and even ate out corrosion in the passages. The float valve is still stuck. Tomorrow I'll try blowing it out. Some of the guys like to soak the carbs in lemon juice. Good Luck

That is an interesting method to clean out the carb. I guess it would work though as both vinegar and lemon juice are acids and eat away at corrosion. You can also use vinegar, lemon juice, or Coca-Cola to clean corrosion off of battery terminals. It's just I have never heard of anyone cleaning a carburetor out with anything other than carb spray or soaking it in a tub of parts cleaner.

#13 Tractorbuds OFFLINE  

Tractorbuds
  • 13 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Well, my new carb came in today and my 1250 roared to life.

Can someone direct me to a post or website so I get get the carb set up properly. I have not played with these older ones. I'm thinking the adjustment on the bowl is the main jet and the one on the side might be for idle mixture? 

What are the factory recommended settings?

Thanks in advance.

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,250 Thanks
  • 17,423 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Here's the link to the Operators manual: http://gardentractor...12d-tra-10d12d/

Page 5 explains how to properly adjust the Carb settings

#15 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Deceased

• Member No: 1920
  • 652 Thanks
  • 1,441 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 08:31 PM

if you dont need a carb and can rebuiled it check out jestin at tubeframes.com he has rebuild kits for 20 bucks