• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 975 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Others have probably already done this, so probably nothing new. The old driveline in my 314 had wallowed the hub keyway about 1/4 of the way around and the spirol pin in the rear had had apparently gotten loose and someone just put a pin in it's place and it had wallowed thru the hub about 1/8 of the way around it. Got a good used driveshaft and drilled and tapped two 1/4" threaded holes for setscrews in the front hub after cleaning shaft and hub so the hub will slide easily on to shaft. This enabled me to install driveshaft w/o having to move engine or rear axle. Hopefully this will keep the shaft from wallowing the hub keyway. I suspect the kohler engine being idled too much would contribute to this problem. I'll try to make a habit off keeping it at full throttle all the time it's running.
I received the hydro I bought from Joe's outdoor power and it works great.Thanks,Joe!! Haven't moved it around much as my next project was replacing a front tire that had so many weather cracks it wouldn't hold air for long.Got the old one off after quite a wrestling match w/ tire spoon and large screwdrivers. Cleaned a ton of Slime of the wheel w/ a cup brush. Replaced valve stem and managed to get the inner bead of tire on the wheel. I'm afraid of cutting the outer bead getting the it on the wheel so will take it to my tire guy tomorrow to finish it.
We're supposed to get quite a bit of snow the next few days so I won't work on taking the plow off the wheeler and mounting on the 314 until I have a day or two w/ no snow.

Attached Thumbnails

• tiller 010 (Small).jpg

#2 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 09:46 AM

Do you have a picture of the old driveshaft hub? I hope having it locked into the hub with the set screws doesn't cause a vibration.

The drive hub roll pin on my CC 129 had worn it's way about the same as what you describe. My friend was able to make a new drive hub at work to replace the worn part. I put a grade 8 bolt through it with a nylock nut. I sheered it one time during the blizzard of 2011. This works pretty well.

Geno