• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 06:57 PM

I have been trying to download my e-mail all day. Cox just finally put out a notice that they are having an e-mail outage (at 5:30 PM Eastern time). It's been that way all day folks. So if anyone out there has Cox and having e-mail problems, it's them, not your program!
  • MH81 and chris m have said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Are they connected in anyway with Earthlink? I've been having issues with mail delivery for several days, just got off the phone w/ Earthlink and they admitted to an issue "the last three days".

#3 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 08:28 PM

I called Cox earlier today (Sat). and the young lady told me they have been having problems since Thur. evening and didn't know if it would be fixed by this evening or not.

Dick

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 09:05 PM

Suddenlink crashed bout 2 weeks ago...I am still having issues with it

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 05:22 AM

Here's their posting as of 1:00AM Eastern time:

"Restoration continues and we are actively exploring multiple approaches to restore email services. All available resources are engaged across multiple teams.These teams will continue working around the clock until your email is restored. Based on our investigation, event logs, and other data available to us, we have no indication that this incident is the result of a security breach that would put customer information at risk. We will provide additional updates by 9 am ET. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you."

Still no e-mail!

#6 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 07:24 AM

I've never even heard of this email.....maybe it's just not in my area?...

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 08:15 AM

Cox is the name of the Company in this area for cable TV/internet. They are pretty big, Here is a map:

Cox.jpeg

Quite a large area.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 09:13 AM

I hope they fix this soon. I have purchased parts and the new Advanced System Care Ultimate. I would like to know if parts have shipped for one thing. Plus, I am waiting on the license codes for the ASC Ultimate. This is for 3 computers. I do like this program. I have been running the ASC Pro for 2 years and it sure does a great job of keeping Windows cleaned up. The Ultimate has a anti-virus built in and I want to try that out. Here's a link for those that might be interested.

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 11:56 AM

Hope you all get your email back up and running. Unfortunately this happens on occasion to all of them.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 03:38 PM

It's still down! Over 6 million families affected. They are making progress, but it's slow!

#11 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 03:56 PM

I am glad they are giving updates. What ever it was it took out the primary and secondary system. But they still don't think it will be back on line today.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 04:00 PM

That's what I'm seeing. They have to rebuild the whole system. OOPSY! Guess they need a backup to their backup system!

#13 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 05:49 PM

It must have been a major problem if it took out their main and mirrored system's. The do have multiple backup's, I suspect this is a hardware issue. I have a feeling that the problem is affecting their computer room instead of just a single server.

#14 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 06:01 PM

It must have been a major problem if it took out their main and mirrored system's. The do have multiple backup's, I suspect this is a hardware issue. I have a feeling that the problem is affecting their computer room instead of just a single server.

It was a huge problem what ever it was. they have like everyone working on it. Then they said it will take time to start the system back up, it will be done in stages.At least all of the new emails people are sending are being spooled, so they will send them out in batches 1st. Sounds like when I worked at the Nuclear Power plants, when we came out of a refueling we had to gradually power up before going back on line to the grid. And one plant I was working at they decided to rush things and a reactor cooling valve stem snapped and we were down for another 4 months. So... I hope they take there time and follow procedures.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 06:15 PM

A lot more major than they wish to let on. I couldn't get e-mail early yesterday. Took them until late afternoon to acknowledge they had a problem. I thought I had a virus get into my computer. Here's the latest update:

Email Outage Update as of 3:30 pm, December 16th
Detail

First we want to acknowledge the impact of the residential email service outage on our customers. We know this experience is not consistent with our promise to deliver reliable products and services, and sincerely apologize for the frustration this has caused.
Here is what we know:

• We have isolated the cause to an issue within the email storage platform that supports Cox Residential Email in service areas in our Midwest and East Coast regions. This outage does not affect Cox Business customers.
  • Cox technical teams are working around the clock with email platform vendors to restore service as quickly and safely as possible. Unfortunately, we do not expect services to be restored today.
  • This outage is not the result of a cyber-attack or any form of cyber terrorism.
  • Some customers have asked about a redundant backup system. Our enterprise infrastructure exceeds industry standards and includes multiple levels of support designed to ensure reliability. Unfortunately, this outage affected the primary and secondary failover (back-up) systems.
  • Our email service is supported by multiple servers. As we successfully bring each server back online, customers on that server will be able to access their email.
  • Currently, all messages that have been received since Friday are queued in our system and we anticipate delivering messages to customers on a rolling basis as we bring the platform back online.
  • We cannot provide a definitive restoration time, but are expecting multiple phases, including when customers will be able to send and receive new messages as well as the delivery of currently queued emails.
  • If you must send or receive an email during this outage, you may want to create a temporary new email account from a service such as Yahoo! or Hotmail. This will not allow you to gain access to your cox.net account; however, you will be able to send and receive email while your cox.net email is inaccessible.
We want to reiterate our commitment to restore services to our customers as soon as possible. As we stated earlier today, the multiple components and processes that make up our email system require care, and some time, to bring them back online.

Impact by Residential Customer Scenario
  • Customers who have and actively use a cox.net email account (username@cox.net).
    • Customers attempting to access their cox.net email account through webmail (Classic and/or Enhanced Webmail) will not be able to access their messages and cannot send or receive email.
    • Customers attempting to access their cox.net email account through an email client such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, iPhone and Android smartphones, or an iPad may be able to access messages received prior to Friday evening, however no new messages will be downloaded; they will receive an error message when attempting to retrieve new messages. When cox.net email service is restored, any queued messages will be downloaded at that time. They should be able to successfully send messages from their cox.net account.
  • Customers who have and DO NOT actively use a cox.net email account (username@cox.net).
    While their cox.net email account is impacted as described, they will not see any direct impact, as they do not use their account.
  • Customers who have an email account from a service such as Yahoo!, or Hotmail.
    These email accounts are not impacted by this issue. Only cox.net email accounts (username@cox.net) are impacted by this outage.
  • Customers who have created a new temporary email account from a service such as Yahoo!, or Hotmail since Friday evening as a result of this outage.
    These email accounts are not impacted by this issue, however do not allow customers to gain access to their cox.net email account. Only cox.net email accounts (username@cox.net) are impacted by this outage.

Product FAQs

Q: Are all Cox High Speed Internet Customers Impacted?
A: No, only Residential Cox High Speed Internet Customers in the East and Midwest who have and use a cox.net email address (username@cox.net) are impacted. Customers who use other email services such as Gmail or Yahoo! email will not see any impact to those services.

Q: If someone is trying to send an email to my cox.net account, will they get an error message?
A: No, people who send email to your cox.net email account will not receive an error message; they will not know you are unable to receive emails.

Q: What will happen to the emails that are being sent to my cox.net email address during this outage period?
A: Currently, all incoming messages are queued in our system and we expect to deliver messages to customers on a rolling basis as we bring our system back online. Full message delivery may take several days.

Q: If I must send an email during this outage, what options do I have?
A: If you must send or receive an email during this outage, you may want to create a temporary new email account from a service such as Yahoo!, or Hotmail. This will not allow you to gain access to your cox.net account, however you will be able to send and receive email while your cox.net email is inaccessible.

This alert will be updated around 6:00 pm ET.

• chris m said thank you