Garden Tractor Forums banner

spewing oil on the HH120

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tyler 
#1 ·
hi all, did an oil change on the massey mf12 and after using the tractor for some work i noticed quite a bit of oil had blown out of the ...breather drain holes?...i'm talking a lot of oil, to the point i had to add more to keep it full. after i add more it continues to come out...it's not a steady flow, i think it blows out in spurts...the tecumseh manual gives a few possibilities why this could happen....excessive speed, usually use just half throttle or two thirds at the most...over fill, put in what the manual calls for 2.5 quarts......i'm stumped as to what may be going on with this thing...is it possible a new breather assembly could be the issue?...thanks for any suggestions anyone can offer.:confuse:

#2 ·
So you put a new breather assembly on it? Could you have installed it upside down? There are drain holes in the bottom of the inner side of the assembly. If it's installed upside down, OR too much gasket sealer is used and they get blocked off, then you'll definitely dump oil out of there.

#4 ·
The breather cover has the word's "this side up" on it so you know which way it goes on, could be plugged up inside or broken parts inside the cover, there's a spring in there.
Pull it off and take a look. Use RTV if the gasket fall's apart.

#5 ·
The reed could be broken inside the breather. If the dipstick seal is bad, that can cause oil use through the breather also. Not to go against anyone's advice, but I stay away from RTV & engines any more. I use Permatex Ultra-Gray, and sparingly I might add. It doesn't squeeze out as bad as RTV. And what squeezes inside doesn't tend to come loose as much to clog stuff up. Best to replace the gasket if torn/broken. I just buy gasket material in rolls at auto parts stores & cut my own gaskets. For the price of just a few little gaskets, you can buy a roll that will make 50 or more. Available in different thickness of paper, impregnated paper, & rubberized cork.

#6 ·
about a month ago i change the breather tube as a branch got in there and snapped it off..took the breather off the engine to inspect and i dont remember ever seeing a gasket..hmmm..i guess i'm taking the breather off tomorrow..thanks for your responses gentleman.

#7 ·
JoeA said:
about a month ago i change the breather tube as a branch got in there and snapped it off..took the breather off the engine to inspect and i dont remember ever seeing a gasket..hmmm..i guess i'm taking the breather off tomorrow..thanks for your responses gentleman.
If you don't see an obvious problem, can you post pics so we can help?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.