Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 05:13 PM

well, I have been sinking money into my jeep cherokee sport for the better part of this year. I have over 3k in receipts (thank god I did all the work myself) and I have had it with this money pit. With the 4.0 inline 6 it is one of the best running vehicles I've owned, however EVERYTHING else breaks all the time. I personally believe from what I've seen working on it that the better portion is because of neglect of maintenance from the previous owner. Now it's on Craigslist and I hope it goes soon. Here is a pic......
jeep.jpg
Now, it just so happens that a friend at work just bought a newer 4x4 because he bought a large boat and he needs to get rid of his current truck. So I asked him what he wanted for it and he said I just need it gone I have no room for it with the boat and new truck. We talked a bit and I drove it and looked over every inch. We agreed on $1600. It's a 2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4-door pickup. It's 2 wheeldrive, fully loaded power everything even has heated mirrors. It is so clean inside I was almost afraid to step in it when I test drove it which by the way rides like a caddy for being a truck. It is immaculate inside and out and I now see why if he didn't need a bigger truck he wouldn't have gotten rid of it. It has 81k miles and should do me well for sometime. I don't have any pics yet but until then here's a pic of one exactly like it from the internet. Only difference is mine is black.
dodge.jpg

#2 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 07:38 PM

That kinda makes up for spending to much for the Sport, doesn't it? Good deal! I had a 92 sport for a couple of years. Mine was a real rust bucket. I ended up trading it for 4 cords of firewood.

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 08:28 PM

I've always liked the looks of those Jeeps but I've heard they can be a money pit. Your PU was a heck of deal. It's particularly nice when you can buy from someone you know and have an idea of how it was taken care of. And the price is unbelievable.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 08:32 PM

Sorry to hear you had so much troubles will Jeep , think we all had vehicles like that lol . Hope the next will treat you better , Al

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Only Jeep I ever had was just like that.

The PO had done a diesel conversion and lost compression about 2 yrs later. I got it for a song.

Then I found out the tranny had to have some exotic torque converter to work with the V6 I bought. Then the transfer case had issues. Got that dealt with and found out the fuel pump was wrong for the carb.

Got it running and driving (nice ride) but on the way to the inpection station, I lost brakes due to a failed master cylinder.

Got it home, cleaned the stains from the seat (kidding) and put it up for sale. I was done.

The 'Kota sounds nice. Can't wait to see pics, sounds like you got a steal.

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 10:26 PM

I'm on my 4th Jeep. 1st was a (84?)sport style with a GM 2.8 V6. Never gave real issues, but the carb would ice up in certain weather, and the engine had no power, and it was in perfect running order. So I went up to a newer 89 sport with the 4.0. Drove it several years with no problems at all. Sold it & got a 97 Grand Cherokee. Drove it years with only needing a fuel pump, then kids rolled boulders into the road, and Teresa came over the hill & missed all but the one rock. Busted up everything underneath, including busting the transmission like a holiday nut! So found a 98 Grand identical color, and now have plenty of spare parts, except for the trans. The only thing I've done to this one in quite a few years is the right front axle U-joint went out. Pulled one from the wrecked one & back to business. I've had great driving/dependability out of my Cherokee's.

But man did you get a deal on that Dakota!