Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Vote Now For Featured Tractor Of The Month For January 2013

voting featured tractor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now For Featured Tractor Of The Month For January 2013 (120 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote now for featured tractor of the month for January 2013

1. Montgomery Wards Garden Mark - egward79 (8 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Wheel Horse Christmas Tractors - Hammerhead (56 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

3. John Deere 140 H3 - BTS (10 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. Simplicity 3414S - skunkhome (46 votes [38.33%])

Percentage of vote: 38.33%

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 09:13 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of January 2013 has now officially started and will end the last day of December. This month's theme is "Decorated for Christmas".

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of October and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. Our featured tractor winners are also printed in the Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine so if you are not a subscriber you are missing out.

We have four decorated nominations for this round:
  • Montgomery Wards Garden Mark - egward79
  • Wheel Horse Christmas Tractors - Hammerhead
  • John Deere 140 H3 - BTS
  • Simplicity 3414S - skunkhome
Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.
  • BTS and kiseestiday have said thanks

#2 egward79 OFFLINE  

egward79

• Member No: 2730
  • 52 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 08:21 AM

I would like to nominate my “Garden Mark Rudolph” for tractor of the month. This tractor is a 1966 Montgomery Ward Garden Mark 8hp. I had this tractor sitting in the garage and I thought what the heck, let’s be crazy and put some lights on it for Christmas. I got this tractor from a guy in Arkansas on Craigslist a couple years ago. I made the trip from Kansas City down to Arkansas one day and when I got there, I knew it had to be mine. As I was talking to the guy, I told him that I had a few other Montgomery Ward tractors and I was looking to get more. At first, he handed me a copy of the owner’s manual, but after talking to him for a while, he said that since I was a collector he would keep the copy of the owner’s manual and would give me the original copy that he intended to keep for himself.

The tractor is in fair condition, he included the mower deck, and it has a pull start Kohler motor. I had to get the seat recovered, but it still had all of the original Montgomery Ward’s tires, and I replaced the front tires and plan on replacing the rear tires soon. I plan on restoring this tractor first because it is in worse shape than my other 4 Montgomery Ward’s garden tractors. I am trying to find a paint to match and need to get decals made. I take my garden tractors to a couple of shows a year, Western Illinois Threshers in Hamilton IL and Midwest Old Threshers in Mt. Pleasant IA. I also have 5 Farmall’s and a 1929 12-24 Hart Parr.

IMG_4335.JPG IMG_4340.JPG IMG_4337.JPG IMG_4336.JPG
  • olcowhand, KennyP, LTD and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Hammerhead OFFLINE  

Hammerhead
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 17235
  • 65 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 06:51 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• 025.JPG
  • 005.JPG

Edited by Hammerhead, December 07, 2012 - 08:20 PM.

• Bolens 1000, tractorgarden, sacsr and 5 others have said thanks

#4 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Well..... I would like to nominate my John Deere 140 H3 with Kwik Way Garden Master model G loader.
I got this garden tractor off of Craigslist in Sedgwick KS, it isn't running now but i hope to put a Kohler V twin 18hp engine on it. I also have a pair of duels that i am planing to use with it.
I am also going to build a 4-in-1 bucket, and then hay tines with a grapple.

I normally don't decorate for Christmas but i thought i would do up a tractor and a garden tractor. I thought this John Deere would be perfect being it had the loader on it, although i live miles from town and not may people drive past, it is nice seeing them out there.
You can't tell from the picture, but the lights on the wheels make it look like it is moving.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden Tractor Lights 003.JPG
  • Tractor Lights 003.JPG
  • Garden Tractor Lights 023.JPG

Edited by BTS, December 14, 2012 - 11:47 PM.

• olcowhand, mjodrey, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#5 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 04:23 PM

I am submitting for consideration my 1974 Simplicity 3414S.

I started looking for an old AC graden tractor some time around 2003 after I discovered that there were a few of these still around and there was a bunch of people in America that were still enthusiastic about these little pieces of old iron. We had three Allis Chalmers garden tractors when I was a kid and spent many hours on my B10 mowing grass all over my home town from my mid teens all the way through college. The last time I saw an AC garden tractor is when I entered the Army in 1974. My dad sold the property and gave away three working tractors and an host of attachments. I was horrified that he would get rid of them but then again I had no place I could have stored a single attachment let along a garden tractor. I assumed that my days of interaction with Simplicity/AC garden tractors was a thing of the past.

Then one day I came across one on the internet and the hunt was on. I started doing a nightly search of ebay and craigslist. I soon discovered that I lived in a vast desert of Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Itractors called the Gulf South. I soon learned that there was nothing much available within 1000 miles of my home in southeast Louisiana. For three to four years I search and even bid on a few but was quickly outbid on ebay. My most promising attempt was on a Allis Chalmers 414s that was listed in Memphis with a low starting bid. I turned out to be the only bidder but the tractor was pulled off the market without explination just hours before bidding was to stop. In all my searches I grew a fondness for the lines of the early AC 700 and Simplicity. 3300 3400 and 7000 series. To me they are the prettiest small tractors to ever come out of the Port Washington Plant.

Then in the Spring of 2007 I found a repainted Simplicity 3414S on the plains of Southwest Missouri near Lamar. The seller said that it ran good and only smoked a little. I was the only bidder bidding in the last few minutes of the session only after exchanging emails with the seller. I ended up buying the tractor for something like $200-250 dollars which was not bad but I knew the biggest cost would be the cost of retrieving it from Missouri, a 1500 mile round trip. The cost of gas had recently risen to something around $4/gal and I had a truck which got no better than 13 mpg going down hill wth a tailwind. To add to the cost there was the cost of renting a trailer to make the round trip.
My wife thought I was nuts. "It probably won"t even run", she said. I assured her it would run, because the seller had told me it did.

Since it was going to be so expensive I decided to make an adventure of it so I asked my grown son to ride along to share in the fun of a THT (tractor hauling trip). I made arrangments with the seller to pick up the tractor a month later in the middle of June.

That Saturday morning we picked up the trailer and headed for SW Missouri. I struggled to keep my speed at or under 60 mph to try to squeeze the most out of my gasoline dollars. 10 long hours later we arrived in Lamar, Mo. I called the seller and told him we were in town and were on our way to his place. I was using a GPS system and with the sun hanging low in the sky I followed it out into the flat featureless farmland and got lost. We hunted around looking for his place and finally stopped at a house and got directions finding that we were about 1/4 mile from our destination. By the time we pulled up at the seller's little shack on the prairie the sun had set and it was quickly getting dark.

The seller came out and met us with a part in his hand. "I hate to tell you this but the ignition on your tractor burned up this morning", he said handing me a chared ignition switch. "The ignition switch shorted out when I tried to start it and burned up the magnito" he explained. I looked at the tractor as a skeptic and could see that there was no way that he had removed that ignition switch from that tractor because the corrosion on the battery terminals had not been disturbed and the screws in the dash tower had not been turned in years. I had to resist screaming "liar, liar, pants on fire".

"I'd, be glad to give you back your money if you want", he said sheepishly. " You must be joking", I said. "I have much more intested in this than the cost of the tractor and I ain't going home without it." We pushed it up on the trailer and I left with my tail between my legs.

I was so demoralized and felt so cheated I could hardly stand it. My son tried to reassure me but I felt like such a dope. We drove back down to Joplin, MO and got a room for the night (more money). When we got to the room, I called my wife and told her we were safe and sound in Joplin and that she was right as usual, because that tractor did not run. She said that she was sorry I was disappointed and that maybe I could fix it. That was probably the best phone call I have ever made. So she wasn't going to divorce me yet.

The saga continued on the way home with me receiving my first speeding ticket in 30+ years in a speed trap in Waterproof, LA. I was really off to a great start with this tractor.

When I got her home I worked the next couple of days to get the engine started and within a short period of time I had refurbished her and repainted and rebadged her to look like an Allis Chalmers early model 700. The tractor was so pretty my wife said that I could park it under the patio if I wished. I knew that with that I was finally vendicated.

Later that fall I purchased a Johnny Bucket Jr and even made enough money to pay for it and all that to date I had spent on my tractor moving crushed limestone up under some t-buildings where not even a skid steer could venture. since then I have added a new grader box, an original tool bar cultivator, a 10" moldboard plow, a Brinly Sweeper and now a 36" tiller. She will be receiving a "new" 16hp engine for Christmas this year. My little 3414 is still a work in progress.

Over the years Sweet Allis, as I call her, has had a number of shed mated, a Kubots G5200, a Kubota G1800 (loved the diesels), an Allis Chalmers B112 and now an Allis Chalmers 916H I got from Indiana but nothing has a place in my heart like my Sweet Allis. .

Sweet Allis is a working tractor so I decorate her with a wreath and bow.

Merry Christmas.

Attached Thumbnails

• AC7.JPG
  • AC73.jpg
  • AC148.jpg
  • AC 713.jpg
  • IMG_4860.JPG
  • IMG_4858.JPG
  • IMG_4861.JPG
  • 100_1124.jpg
  • 100_1111.jpg

Edited by skunkhome, December 15, 2012 - 12:31 AM.

• KennyP, LTD, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 01:41 PM

Let the voting begin.
  • Huskyfan said thank you

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 08:23 PM

I wish I could have made it in this month, oh well... I will be in it next year! :D

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 05:06 AM

We have just 18 votes as of this morning.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 06:51 AM

I'm trying to decide, they all look great!

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 07:04 AM

I'm trying to decide, they all look great!

I agree. It's a good thing we didn't have more to choose from. My vote is in!

#11 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 04:49 AM

My vote has been placed. Slightly disapointed when I seen the results this far. Yes there is a tractor I like the most outa these but the title clearly says "DECORATED" as the tractor of the month and the one winning clearly is NOT decorated.....just my opinion, no offense to anyone.
  • egward79 and Huskyfan have said thanks

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 06:16 AM

We have 27 votes in this morning.All good entries,but I have chosen.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 05:22 AM

Got a close race going now folks, 38 votes and counting!

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 06:36 AM

Yes,it's close alright.Are we taking bets on this one ? :D :D :D

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 07:01 AM

Not from me! Too far out on the end of this one yet! Could have a totally different one in the lead at the end of the month.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: voting, featured tractor