Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 11:59 AM

Well one isnt enough so..

Gravely1.JPG

This one the serial # is 946, anyone date it by this?
Im hoping to have my Belos with a blower and this one with the blade so how big a job is it to swap wheels, not sure its wise to trundle around with these on...
Cheers.

#2 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,839 Thanks
  • 9,459 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 12:51 PM

It's a 1938 model.

The wheels would work well on ice, I bet. :D
  • Sam said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,595 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 04:33 PM

It's a 1938 model.

The wheels would work well on ice, I bet. :D

Just don't run over anything you don't want crushed. Those are serious looking paddles on those wheels. Looks to be in excellent condition.

#4 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,233 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 04:51 PM

you're right, ONE is never enough of many things.....lol

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,750 Thanks
  • 2,936 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 05:17 PM

That is an EARLY Gravely! You might want to do more research and see if it should be restored to show condition. I realize you just want to use it, but there are plenty of later models out there that aren't special at all, that can be run into the ground, but a 75 year old machine ought to be pampered a bit.
As for changing the wheels, some of the earlier Gravely's used a two piece rim and six bolts held the rim to the hub. It was a real pain to try to make sure the tube wan't getting pinched between the rim halves while you attached it to the hub. Later models used the same 6 bolt rim, but the hub was modified so that it took 3 bolts to hold the rim to the hub and the other 3 bolts held the rim together. It LOOKS like you have a variation on the 6 bolt hub, so you should be able to use the two piece rims, but everything will have to be assembled to the hub before you air up the tires.
  • Sam said thank you

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,578 Thanks
  • 6,403 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 05:20 PM

Congrats on a nice old machine. Those wheels look very tough. You could put some serious checks in a tarvia driveway with those babies.

#7 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 06:24 PM

Thanks guys, i must admit my plans were to change the wheels and swap the engine for a honda unit i have, but as it seems to be a 1938 model i think i should do the decent thing and leave it original.

Problem is those wheels, i cant cut the grass/plough snow etc with wheels like those, although i could band them i guess, they would be good for the rotary plough but i only use that a couple hours a year, there is a problem with the bearings on them anyway so if i could get it onto rubber easily then they could be swapped back to original if required. I have a pile of various axle parts and a lot of wheels so im guessing i could do that with the parts i already have, also although model L's arent exactly common here they do come round now and again.

Interesting to read in the manual "it will serve you long and faithfully if you take reasonable care" 75 years? wow.. anyway im thinking i will restore it but i will also use it, i will just make sure i wont do anything irreversable to it, just means i have to look for a third one now...i think this one deserves an easy life.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#8 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,285 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Thanks Sam for doing the right thing. I agree with using old machines as long as can come up with repair parts. I have never restored one ,I did not use.

#9 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 11:26 AM

Thanks, this will bring up the old question of restore to showroom or leave alone, i like to see old machinery shiny and new but also i like to see them in their working clothes, the way i see it you can always restore a machine but once restored, you can never unrestore it to how it was. I did a chainsaw a couple of years ago to better than new condition but that was because it was so far gone it was really my only option, this machine seems to be in good condition and im sure it would look good unpainted, although i have a suspicion it has already been, were the chassis painted black or red? this one is black, if black was never an option then i would probably repaint it the proper red.

The spare petrol tank and fan i got with it is green? i see no evidence of it ever being red and if it was a repaint it was done a very very long time ago, if the whole machine was like that i would leave it green as it is part of its history, but as my chassis looks to be freshish black paint i would change it.. incidently the S# for the green tank is 2554 which im guessing is from another early machine.

So let me run a couple of things past you all to see if things tie in to 1938,
Magneto - Edison Splitdorf Corporation T 8732, thankfully we have a spark from that, Carb - embossed with Stromberg UR 3/4 So.Bend USA, Simplex air cleaner, is this about right for a 1938 model?

#10 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,750 Thanks
  • 2,936 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 11:59 AM

I'm not an expert, but have you found the oldgravelys website yet? Lots of information there. From what you have listed and from what I see, this looks like a reasonably complete, unmodified machine. Of course, more pictures would help. I think the paint scheme it is in is an early one, but again, you should do more research to be certain.

PS, Sam, what country are you in? You mention a Belos, which was a Gravely partner in one of the Scandinavian countries, Denmark I think? And I see you calling gas petrol, which is a British term. I'm also aware of Gravelys in Australia and South Africa, just wanting to pin more countries on my personal map.

Edited by HowardsMF155, December 16, 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#11 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,839 Thanks
  • 9,459 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 10:33 PM

So let me run a couple of things past you all to see if things tie in to 1938,
Magneto - Edison Splitdorf Corporation T 8732, thankfully we have a spark from that
Carb - embossed with Stromberg UR 3/4 So.Bend USA,
Simplex air cleaner, is this about right for a 1938 model?

All of those check out to the affirmative according to one much smarter than I. You have quite the find, there. More pics, please!

Also, here's a pic to compare to:
Posted Image
  • Sam said thank you

#12 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 11:38 AM

Thats great, thanks..just checking as im sure its all too easy for petrol tanks to be replaced through the years, replaced with whatever you have lying around be that a newer one or older. I will grab some pics next time i have light, its that time when you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark and there is no light where its sitting, so i will grab some at the weekend.

Howard yes, im in the UK, im also aware of the oldgravely site, seems a valuable resource although there are a few things i cant find info on.
Belos are a Swedish company although i have no idea if they imported Gravely as a complete unit or as parts and they assembled them, any idea? both my rotary mowers are marked Belos, The rest are Gravely, i do have some literature on them which i will upload to the manuals section, but to be honest its probably the same as the Gravely version, i will check and upload if not.

belos.JPG