• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for looking, i have a 3 cyl diesel motor.(Kubota) the motor turns over fine, it has a decompression lever you can pull and it speeds up considerably when pulled, at first i thought no fuel as i had no smoke, so i cracked open the fuel line over the injectors and got fuel while cranking, tightened up the lines tried to start it thinking it might have been air, still no go and no smoke, went out and bought 3 new glow plugs and installed, no i have a tiny bit of smoke( less than a cigeratte burning in an ashtray) well now i am still thinking fuel, i did something i really hated and gave it a shot of quick start which should of given me at least a pop but nothing. i am thinking the injectors are plugged,this is a new tractor to me and i have not had it running,it was sitting many years, the plastic tank is stained and i think he was using coloured fuel which can really cause a mess, any thoughts, do i buy new injectors or can they be cleaned? and how? always looking forward to hearing from GTTALK members so much insight and useful advice thanks all

#2 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 09:11 PM

There are so many things that could be causing your problem that it is hard to help you get started troubleshooting the tractor. Since it has been sitting for awhile is the air filter plugged or is there any else that would block the air flow? Does your tractor have a fuel pump between the tank and the injector pump? If so when you open the bleeder valve on the injector pump do you get a good stream of fuel there? When you cracked the lines going to the injectors did you crank until there were no bubbles coming through and continue cranking until you had tightened the line nuts?

Personally I have never had any problems with the dyed fuel plugging anything up. Plugged injectors would make no difference when you gave it a shot of starting fluid and didn't get a pop. The no pop there leads me to believe you may have an air problem and not a fuel problem.

The injectors can be cleaned by a shop equipped to do so but you can test one by disconnecting the injector fuel line, remove the injector and hook the line back up and crank the engine while watching the injector, if you do this stay away from the injector tip. You should get an even conical spray pattern.

I am sure others will be along shortly with more ideas.
  • farmer john said thank you

#3 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 09:46 PM

I'd say don't buy parts until you've conducted a proper engine analysis!
You didn't mention the manual, get one,read it and work from there!
Diesel's can get really expensive fast if you just replace parts!
Those fuel injectors are really high pressure. Diesels need high pressure and heat to run.
If you don't have both you get nothing. I don't know for sure but, I believe you can test the
Glow plugs while removed from the engine. And, you should see them get good and hot.
I think you should check compression too. May need a higher gage than used on a gas engine.
But, you should get one and do that.
Injectors may need to be tested. You may need to bleed them or, take them to a diesel shop.

You may already know this, or I could be all wet! But that's where I'd start.

Joe

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for looking, i have a 3 cyl diesel motor.(Kubota) the motor turns over fine, it has a decompression lever you can pull and it speeds up considerably when pulled, at first i thought no fuel as i had no smoke, so i cracked open the fuel line over the injectors and got fuel while cranking, tightened up the lines tried to start it thinking it might have been air, still no go and no smoke, went out and bought 3 new glow plugs and installed, no i have a tiny bit of smoke( less than a cigeratte burning in an ashtray) well now i am still thinking fuel, i did something i really hated and gave it a shot of quick start which should of given me at least a pop but nothing. i am thinking the injectors are plugged,this is a new tractor to me and i have not had it running,it was sitting many years, the plastic tank is stained and i think he was using coloured fuel which can really cause a mess, any thoughts, do i buy new injectors or can they be cleaned? and how? always looking forward to hearing from GTTALK members so much insight and useful advice thanks all

My thinking is the fuel is your trouble- period.. Drain the fuel tank and discard the old stuff.. Drop the sediment bowl on your fuel pump and inspect it and clean it up. Open the bleeder valve on your pump and drain the fuel line.. Put things back together and bleed things and get fresh fuel in everything.. You should be able to loosen the injector lines a bit @ the head a bit and bleed the lines as well while cranking the engine. (A helper is great for this) As soon as things are flowing well, tighten things back up and you should now have fresh, air free fuel going into your engine. If it still doesn't work the other steps above will be necessary.. I had to do this to my neighbor's JD earlier this year due to bad fuel.. It had the same symptoms just a puff and bump or two while starting.. Fresh fuel and the thing runs great! Hope this helps! :wave:
  • boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 10:45 PM

If it won't fire with starting fluid ( I hate the stuff on diesels) than low compression could be the cause. Take your valve cover off and make sure that the valves aren't tight. If it has been setting for awhile your valves may not be closing all the way or your unloader may not be completely releasing your valves. You can take a spritz bottle and shoot a little diesel into the intake as it is turning over and see if this gets you any results. If it does then you know you have a fuel problem. Go easy as you don't want to hydraulically lock the engine and you want it shoot a fine mist not a stream. Another thing that will help is if you are working in a warm shop. If the engine has a crankcase heater use it. How fast the engine turns over makes a huge difference. Make sure your battery is fully charged and all connections are in "excellent" shape. The other guys have covered the rest.
Good luck.

#6 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 10:55 PM

thanks for the info. i took the air breather and filter off and took a good look inside, the new glow plugs were only $36 and the ones i took out looked pretty sad. i took the lines completly off the fuel injectors, only getting an drip, should these not be under pressure? tomorrow i will take the shroud off and check for flow, fuel filter and pump hopfully its not the injector pump

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 12:08 AM

Fuel. Always fuel. Purple won't plug it...every farmer in Canada uses it, and they never complain, at least about that purple dye. A change of seasons will bring waxing though. You should have plenty of pressure...the drip you describe is a big clue. My first stop would be a good diesel supply store (do you have farmers Co-ops where you are?) to look for an additive/cleaner. When you get home with it, drain your tank and add fresh fuel before you do anything else. Then clean things up, use the cleaner/additive, and sip on a big old glass of rye to dull the pain.

My best guess...because I prefer to be pleasantly surprised rather that brutally disappointed...is that you'll be needing an injector pump and likely new injectors too.

On the bright side, wrenching is fun.

#8 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 06:49 AM

Most diesels have a fuel filter and a water separator.
The water comes from condensation in the tank.
The water separator should be drained on a regular basis.
If the previous owner wasn't doing that...
The fuel system is low pressure (like a gas system) to the injector.
The injector converts that to high pressure.

Joe

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 08:05 AM

Sounds like you don't have enough fuel pressure at the injector. You need both flow and high pressure at the injector. As others have said you should go through the fuel system from the tank to the injector to get any problems sorted out. It's a different game then troubleshooting a gas engine but problems seem to be much less frequent if you do your basic maintenance.