• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 11:09 PM

I have seen welding the front axle pin mentioned several times. I am not clear on what the advantage is or was in welding it. If the nut is tight and pined why should I care whether the bolt is welded from the back side or not. In my tractor"s case the bolt is drawn up snug, pined, and there is minimal play. I am not clear on what the advantage would be in my welding the bolt or it having ever been welded. For those discussing welding the bolt, do you mean the head of the bolt in place? What am I missing?

#32 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 12595
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 07:56 AM

I have seen welding the front axle pin mentioned several times. I am not clear on what the advantage is or was in welding it. If the nut is tight and pined why should I care whether the bolt is welded from the back side or not. In my tractor"s case the bolt is drawn up snug, pined, and there is minimal play. I am not clear on what the advantage would be in my welding the bolt or it having ever been welded. For those discussing welding the bolt, do you mean the head of the bolt in place? What am I missing?

The pin has a nut on each side. The axle has bearings in it but the frame has nothing buy a hole. Without the nut being welded the hole in the frame becomes egg shaped.

Good idea on the bulbs. I'm going to give that a try. I painted what I had done one evening after dark and really haven't had much time since. Also been assembling my k361.
  • KennyP said thank you

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 08:11 AM

The pin has a nut on each side. The axle has bearings in it but the frame has nothing buy a hole. Without the nut being welded the hole in the frame becomes egg shaped.

Good idea on the bulbs. I'm going to give that a try. I painted what I had done one evening after dark and really haven't had much time since. Also been assembling my k361.

That should clear things up. Thanks!

#34 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 12595
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 08:08 PM

Pretty much finished painting the frame today and assembled the k361 and painted it. Things are going well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: k361, axle, clutch, throwout bearing, flywheel