caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 10:18 AM

Saw this post on FB and I have to agree with what it says..

TURN OFF THE NEWS.......

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed
people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

This post has expressed my thoughts exactly. This discussion in the media disgusts me. I have children in Elementary school and don't want to confront the horrors that those parents must be feeling. God bless all of the families of the fallen. There is no earthly punishment that fits this crime. The best we could do to this and the other monsters who commit such atrocities is to have them die nameless and in obscurity!
  • jpackard56, twostep, Team_Green and 1 other said thanks

#47 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 10:48 AM

Saw this post on FB and I have to agree with what it says..

TURN OFF THE NEWS.......

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed
people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

My thought's exactly, The media is still running hour long coverage of this. Leave those families alone and let them be in peace with their sorrow and grieving. It is all about the $$$ and to heck with every thing else.
  • twostep said thank you

#48 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 11:16 AM

Remember these people? Jarod Loftner, Ted Bundy, the "uni bomber" ? These and many more, share exact personality traits with this killer.
(The AP this AM)
friend of the mother " ...she was worried about him", said he was ..." a recluse"
his brother "......... personality disorder"
school mates and security guard---a loner, couldn't relate to others, very shy.

At this time , at least:
no one knows whether he ever had any treatment.
Why did his mother teach him to shoot?
did something tramatic happen to him in the first grade to cause him to target these kids?
even if this disorder is diagnosed early (I believe it can be) is there a remedy?
Out of the list above, none committed such a horrific crime as this.

#49 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,670 Thanks
  • 7,688 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 11:59 AM

Everyone is rushing to have the latest coverage, what the President said, the list of names what the little six year old girl's father said,blah, blah.......

I'm sorry, I'm not jaded, I'm not! I'm just cynical, because we've heard it before, and we'll hear it again. Just the names are different.

I don't understand how we, with all our "Homeland Security", think we can prevent terrorism abroad, when we can't even stop street gang violence.

I'm so glad my tree fort doesn't have TV.
  • marlboro180 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#50 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 12:59 PM

My pastor put it right this morning. He said we live in a broken world. It's broken in a way that no human effort can fix. Only God can fix the world but... we have to let Him.
  • jpackard56, twostep, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks