#1 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 09:55 AM

Is there a big difference between Gasoline and Diesel tractors when it comes to Fuel Economy? A guy is wanting to trade me a Ford Workmaster 601 for my Cub Cadet 7193. I like that the Ford can handle bigger implements but fuel economy is bothering me because I will use this tractor to mow my yard with. My riding mower took about 1.25 gallons of fuel every time I mowed the yard and Im thinking adding 3 cylinders will make that go up to 3 (10 -12 bucks every time I mow the grass) gallons every time I mow the grass. Am I thinking wrong? I mow about 1.25 acres every time I mow.

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 10:18 AM

I'm convinced the Diesel is more economic to operate. For the past two years I have mowed most of my 8.9 acres with a John Deere 318 and 22 hp Murray Yard Pro(the diesel is burning less fuel). In September I bought a 1980 Ford 1500(20 hp diesel).and while I have yet to mow with it I Have put about 38 hrs on the Ford. I have only put 15 gal of fuel in the Ford. That has been tilling my gardens(w/48" tiller), grading a 1/4 mile lane(W 6 ft blade 5 times) and moving tons of dirt(W/ 3 point dirt scoop). that works out to an average of around 1/2 gal per hour.Amd I suspect your Cadet 7193 will be close to that. You can look up the specs of the Ford 601 on Tractor Data and I suspect it will be rated around 4 gallons per hour.
When I bought my Ford, the previous owner told me it would out work any N Ford, having run it a while I don't doubt it.And The 8N Ford is rated at aroud 2.9 gal per hour. My Ford is facory rated to operate the same size implements an N Ford wil run.
I don't think I will go out and buy a 2-14 plow, until I have borrowed one and tried it on my place.
While the Ford 601 is a work horse it's going to use a lot more fuel, and I would not want to give up the compact manuverabilty of my Ford.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 14, 2012 - 10:51 AM.

• Alc and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,686 Thanks
  • 8,884 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 10:27 AM

Your fuel useage will double at a minimum, is my guess.

#4 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 10:44 AM

I have to agree with JDDannels thinking.
If you can only have ONE unit, consider renting or borrowing for the projects that the 601 might be able to handle better. You also might try just smaller implements. If your 7193 won't handle a 7ft or 8ft blade go find an old one and cut some off each end until your unit will handle it. Everybody keeps pushing bigger is better, frankly here at the farm I keep looking for units that can work in the tight quarters that I used to do as hand work as I get older. That is what got me into GT's in the first place. Seeing OldCowhands front loader GT cleaning stalls put me on the hunt for one. So my 16 horse can't handle a 6ft tiller, let me show you places it can work that the 601 can't even park in. Diesels virtually always use less fuel than a gas unit in comparable hp ratings. My 4 wd 27 hp Mitsubishi will run rings around any 8N in I've ever used and do it on much less fuel. Not knocking the 8N, its just they were designed for a different purpose, we are the ones that keep trying to make them do what a modern compact diesel was designed for. Good luck whichever way you go.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 10:59 AM

Look at the market values too. The cub is probably worth a bunch more than the Ford. If you need a bigger tractor, shop around and buy it as an addition not a substitution. Good Luck

#6 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:03 PM

here at germany diesel machines are more expensive than gasoline machines when purchasing. For such little works normally we use gasoline engines. Bigger engines, for example used in cars, are common rail diesel today.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 02:29 PM

Look at the market values too. The cub is probably worth a bunch more than the Ford. If you need a bigger tractor, shop around and buy it as an addition not a substitution. Good Luck

That is a good point! I looked up a 7193 on the internet last night and the one I found was $4800. When I was looking at Tractors a just ok 600 series Ford was $3200. I've seen them with new paint and tires not bring over $4000.

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 07:45 PM

Diesels are generally much more frugal with the fuel than a similar sized gas engine. This is especially true when comparing something like an older 20hp Kohler and a 20hp diesel. In your situation considering the value of the tractors involved is good advise. The Ford is an old tractor (I like them) and it wouldn't take much in the way of repairs for the whole deal to turn very bad for you. If it were me, I would walk away from the deal.

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 09:30 AM

Here is what I see as a typical price on an old Ford and this has a bucket loader. He is asking $1600. http://newlondon.cra...3472363322.html

Posted Image

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 11:07 AM

And that is an 800 with 45hp. I have one just like it with a loader. Nice tractor if you have a need for it but not a diesel and will use fuel. The 850 does not have a live PTO and the 860 does. All are referred to as an 800 and it is wise to know the differences. This goes for any of the Fords from this era including the 600's or you will end up with something you don't want.
If someone offered me a trade for a nice Fordson diesel Dexta for Super Dexta I would trade in a moment.

#11 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 11:44 AM

I did trade. Ford 601 runs great and works great. I am changing the all the fluids today and I have to get the radiator fixed. I was mowing around my pond when the front axle hit the radiator so I have to go get it rewelded tomorrow. I had the Cub Cadet on craigslist for about 2 months and got a few offers for 1700-2200 dollars. I figured if I get 3000 out of the Ford I'd be doing better. I have it on craigslist under Barter right now.

http://winstonsalem....3480049100.html