#16 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 12:01 AM

Never noticed turning radius, cept that one way goes quicker than other. Seems to be like that on most models of tractors I've had. Plus you have two brakes to help turn faster if you wanna skid around some. I have plastic kings, but none with power steering and they seem OK to me.

The Yahoo groups PK group has lots of info files to look at and pictues for PK's. Fella on there named Larry Goss has a great thumbdrive to buy for only $10 that has about anything to know about PK's and tons of parts books and manuals are in it. Get one!
  • Alc said thank you

#17 drivadesl OFFLINE  

drivadesl
  • Member No: 16725
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Since there doesn't seem to be much different between these models other than that mentioned, I may end upjust getting what looks like the best available. Sight unseen, I seem to be leaning toward the 16XX since I have a large machine as it is.

In reality I would rather get something like a small CUT 4wd Kubota with a loader (or similar), but dont have the funds for that at all.

A small loader would be handy to have in any case, and seems that the PK machines are capable enough to handle them as they were a stock option if not mistaken.

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yes, there where loaders offered for these tractors! If you are going for one with a loader, I suggest a 16 inch model. The 24 inchers had taller front spindles that could not handle as much weight, and would bend.
  • drivadesl said thank you

#19 drivadesl OFFLINE  

drivadesl
  • Member No: 16725
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 05:57 AM

Thanks Ryan, that's good to know. Any idea of the front spindle diameter? I know for IH cub cadets sometimes the front spindles need to be upgraded to 1" diameter to handle the greater load.

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 06:41 AM

I think they where all 1" spindles but some hubs where steel and some cast , my 2418 w/ fel broke a steel hub , lucky it didn't happen will a heavy load raised moving fast ect , I had a spare cast one I put on and welded the steel one , I don't think I ever switch it back come to think of it , lol , Al

#21 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 03:01 PM

I think your spindles will be fine, they are pretty hefty. Like I said before though, the models with 24 inch rears had taller spindles that would bend. Alc's 2418 had the front end modified, because somebody bent the front spindles. I don't remember if he did it, or if he bought it like that.

#22 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:19 AM

Here's a picture of the lowered front axle Ryan mentioned , the fellow did a pretty good job the spindles where shorten are now about the size used the the 16" rear wheel models . There is another post about the front axle nut being welded on the inside of the frame this was welded when it was modified but broke and I welded it since . Im not if you can tell from the picture but the front axle has a bow in it about 1/32" on each side ! You wouldn't think an axle that thick would bend but the loader must put so much extra pressure on all the points . At on time I thought of using a long axle and making a support mounted in front of the axle but I never want to be without this tractor for any length of time it's so handy , Al

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0234.JPG