• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Firedog3771 OFFLINE  

Firedog3771
  • Member No: 17852
  • 14 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Well, Here in Southern Maine we are expecting a snow storm Sunday into Monday night, and since I bought my GT to work, I have been 2 days getting the FEL ready, changed the Hydro fluid.... DEFIANTLY needed a change. Then I went to changing out the suction low pressure line, it came with radiator hose being used....I replaced it with a 3/4 Hydraulic hose and installed a quick coupling. Thats so if I can figure out how the Kwick-Way loader gets removed. In the event I want to put a different front end attachment such as a plow blade.All that went good.
Then I went to install a quick disconnect to the high pressure hose .. thats when it got difficult One end of the hose connected to the PTO pump with a 3/8 pipe thread the other end attached to the control block with a 3/8 hydo fitting. since the standard hydro hose has pipe thread on both ends I had to find a adapter 3/8 pipe thread female to 3/8 hydo male. sounds easy. well IT AINT THAT SIMPLE!!!! Tractor supply, Lowes, NAPA Fastenall,Plumbing supply store , and even tried at a Hydraulic shop. I ended up having to have a 6 inch pig tail made up., Now I still had to connect the two hoses. The old set up had some plumbing fittings micky moused and wrapped in duck tape....3/4 of an inch of it. I ended up finally figuring that installing a Hydo gauge between them allowed me the connections I could use. It ended up being a 2 day project. all done and testing we find out that the pipe fittings previously installed into the hydro pump (should have been hydro fittings) messed up the treads so it leaks. Tried pipe tape and pipe goop, and tread lock...NOPE!!
So I mixed up some JB Weld and coated the fitting threads. Plan is to let it set up all night and test it tomorrow. Dont want to have to buy a new pump.... yet

The Bones are Great on this Machine but being from 1983 The Micky Mouse club has influenced allot of fixes.

Attached Thumbnails

• FELpump.jpg
  • FELpigtail.jpg
  • FELquickconnect.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 12:34 AM

Thanks for posting and :welcometogttalk: Looks like you've got things taken care of. I'll be lookin' in to see how ya'll get through the weekend.
I'm in prep mode down here too while struggling to remember when I ever looked forward to seeing that stuff start to pile up; before I got my Bolens stuff. Don't forget to prep the pics and vid tools.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 04:39 AM

Welcome to the Forum! Sounds like you are having a fun time reworking things. Best of luck with it.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 05:29 AM

Welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#5 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 05:31 AM

:welcometogttalk: glad to have ya with us, look around, search , enjoy.....

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 06:59 AM

Welcome to GTtalk ! Nice idea using those coulplers :thumbs: By using quick coulplings on the pump does that risk damaging the pump if it was operated by mistake with the loader off ? I see on some snow plow setups they use one male and one female with one having a hose attachet so when not in use it get recoulped to the other , also keeps the coulplings clean . You don't want a piece of dirt keeping one from sealing when it's disconnect lol make a mess , Al
  • Firedog3771 said thank you

#7 Firedog3771 OFFLINE  

Firedog3771
  • Member No: 17852
  • 14 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 07:58 AM

Tractorholic, thanks for the Observation!!! :wallbanging: Thats why I joined this site :thumbs:
I will prob change out ends so I can attach a sort hose. Will I have a overheating Prob, with just a short one foot piece recycling fluid?

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 08:43 AM

Doesn't the pump have a way to shut it off when not needed ? Like and PTO ? If the pump is alowed to " deadhead" it might be damaged it . Like what you said even using a short hose it might not be a good if it ran any length of time other maybe just an instance . Maybe someone here has run into this and will be able to give you a better idea of what to do , Al