#16 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hi Hank,
Yes, exactly like that. According to the information, you CAN use URLs in your signature. Mjodrey has done it with the member map, so it can be done.

Well I'll tell you if you want to know. When I go to edit signature it says your signature may contain:
  • • Up to 0 images • Images up to 0 x 0 pixels • Up to 0 URLs • Up to 2 lines
Maybe they just don't like me.

Anyway while in edit mode when starting a new thread, replying to one or setting up your signature, use the link button to insert the link you want. Then click on the button at the top left of the edit window, "Toggle editing mode". Find the link you inserted, the window may scroll some when you hit the button you'll see: the link or URL you inserted twice.

The first one, starting with left brace url=, wrapped in quotes, and ending with right brace is the actual link. The 2nd one, following the closing quote and right brace and up to the ending [/url] is what gets displayed. It may be shortened up with ... in the middle somewhere if the URL is long. You can change the text of the 2nd one to whatever you want people to see, the actual URL is hidden underneath. I can't insert all the actual codes here to show you because the software will try to interpret them when displaying this reply and it will get confused.

Do not remove any braces, [ ], or quotation marks. Only change the text as I mentioned above. Toggle the editing mode again to see what will actually be displayed. Some forums provide two boxes when entering links, one for the link and one for the text to be displayed, that's easier but this way works too. Just be careful to only change the text to be displayed or you'll mess up the link and it won't work or display as you want.

Edited by HankS, December 14, 2012 - 11:12 AM.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#17 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 11:20 AM

If I could get some help here. I'm trying to post a link in my signature to this post. However, I want it to say "Click :here: for" not "Click gobble-de-gook for" and I can't figure out how to mask the http link with the word "here". Anybody able to help with that? When I try with the 'chain' icon, it tells me there is no 'anchor' in the text.

Howard; simply type the text you want to represent your URL like "Click here" w/o quotes. Then Highlight the text and click on the URL button on the tool bar. A window will pop up and put the URL in the text box and click OK. That's it.
  • HowardsMF155 and HankS have said thanks

#18 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 11:22 AM

Something like this?

Click here for ...

I can tell you how but it won't do you any good. I tried to put the above link in my signature but this forum does not allow URLs, links, in a signature.

Sure you can look at mine. It won't take HTML tags but check out my reply to Howard.
  • MH81 and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#19 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 11:26 AM

Howard; simply type the text you want to represent your URL like "Click here" w/o quotes. Then Highlight the text and click on the URL button on the tool bar. A window will pop up and put the URL in the text box and click OK. That's it.

That sure is a lot easier. Seems like every forum has different software and ways to do things.

#20 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 11:36 AM

Sure you can look at mine. It won't take HTML tags but check out my reply to Howard.

Not sure I understand. I copied the link from your signature into an edit window and toggled editing mode. It has the standard html tags in it. I also tried the method you described for Howard, again standard tags. I tried to edit my signature again, the way you said, and it still won't allow it. Maybe as a mod you're allowed to place links in your signature while I'm not.

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,296 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 11:46 AM

could you post the link here, in a reply?

#22 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 11:54 AM

That sure is a lot easier. Seems like every forum has different software and ways to do things.

This is true and sometime it will drive you :loosing_it:

#23 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:04 PM

Not sure I understand. I copied the link from your signature into an edit window and toggled editing mode. It has the standard html tags in it. I also tried the method you described for Howard, again standard tags. I tried to edit my signature again, the way you said, and it still won't allow it. Maybe as a mod you're allowed to place links in your signature while I'm not.

No that is not an issue. Maynard has one and I believe I added mine before I became a mod.

I just added one to mine. Do you get any error's? What happens when you try to add one?

#24 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:05 PM

could you post the link here, in a reply?

You mean the link in Bill's signature? This is the first one, to become a site supporter.

Click Here

#25 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:10 PM

No that is not an issue. Maynard has one and I believe I added mine before I became a mod.

I just added one to mine. Do you get any error's? What happens when you try to add one?

No matter the method I get the following

Oops! Something went wrong!

You may only use up to 0 urls in your signature.

Edited by HankS, December 14, 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#26 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hank, I fixed Howards sig link. Is there a link you'd like in your sig line? If so, let me know how you want it and I'll see if it will let me add it.
  • HowardsMF155 and HankS have said thanks

#27 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:45 PM

Well. I didn't mean to cause quite so much furor. Perhaps once things are straightened out, the mods could clean up this thread (providing those affected agree) so that it is beginner friendly.
Daniel, you did just what I wanted. Thank you.
Hank, I wonder if you aren't allowed some privileges because you haven't posted "enough", I remember there were two 'hurdles' when you were new, one was a restriction on manual downloads until you passed about 10 posts, then another which I don't remember around 100? Regardless, thank you for your attempts to help me.

#28 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:48 PM

Daniel you beat me to it.

From the error it looks like a permissions error. Think I'll do some research in this.

#29 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hank, I fixed Howards sig link. Is there a link you'd like in your sig line? If so, let me know how you want it and I'll see if it will let me add it.

No that's okay, I was just trying to help Howard, not put a link in my own sig. Just happened upon the problem in the process.

Thanks anyway.
  • olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#30 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 07:40 PM

I'm putting the ideas posted here together into one thread in the Site How-To folder. Here's a shortcut for you all to look through and give suggestions for improving it below.. Then I'll do a final edit and we can make it a sticky for newbies or a subtle reminder for multi-posters or folks that the MOD's feel may need to read it.. Please feel free to share any thoughts! Thanks for reading!

Perhaps our Mod Squad can take this and make their own post then delete that thread?? Go ahead!

http://gardentractor...on-it-deserves/
  • Cat385B said thank you