• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:03 PM

Glad to hear that you know better Ryan, it just worried me that you might have tried it. I have seen it in person and it can really hurt or kill someone. We all have tried things that would seam to be safe and found out it actually they aren't.

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:05 PM

The welding shop I talked to when mine went told me that the rarely rebuild them because of the liabilities involved with the high pressure and they'd be happy to sell me a new one for $200.. here's a link to a new one: http://www.ebay.com/...=item5649f2ad97

The shop that we get our supply's from every week rebuilds 15 to 30 regulators every week. If you can find a good welding supply shop, they can fix you up fairly inexpensively, or sell you a rebuilt one out of their stock. Our shop aways has a few that they rebuilt and don't get picked up, they will usually sell them for the repair bill.

#18 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:11 PM

Whew Ryan, I saw that smiley grin and new you knew better than to oil that thing....

My regs make a little noise once in a while, and more often than not I have them set too high. Tends to send the diaprams into a a flurry , but then again, I generally have a rosebud on the thing...

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 09:28 PM

I thought that it might have something to do with the cold, so I put them in the basement. An hour later I went and tried it... no noise! Looks like I found out the problem! Now I just need a heated garage; actually, I don't need a heated garage... I need a heated SHOP!
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#20 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 11:42 PM

The reg on my gas BBQ does it occasionally, Doesn't affect the flame so I don't let it bother me.
Mike

#21 Guest_Franz©_*

Guest_Franz©_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 02, 2013 - 09:46 PM

The last time I used my torches the oxygen line pressure gauge would make a strange humming noise and the needle would vibrate. I figured it was just a bad gauge, since it had to be replaced anyway. Today I got a new gauge and I wanted to test it out. It is worse then before! While I had the gauge off to take to the welding supply store I put a piece of tape over it so it would stay clean, so no dust got in it. What do you guys think the problem is? Maybe I will just oil the the regulator... :D

This one is SIMPLE.

The condition is called singing. 

It's fairly common in O2 regulators when the torch is overdrawing the regulators ability to deliver, especially with cutting heads..

The diaphram is slapping the needle valve open and closed so quickly it produces a song.

It can also occur in extreme cold conditions especially with cheap regulators.  

You either need a smaller torch or a larger capacity regulator.

• HowardsMF155 and Cat385B have said thanks