• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:43 PM

The last time I used my torches the oxygen line pressure gauge would make a strange humming noise and the needle would vibrate. I figured it was just a bad gauge, since it had to be replaced anyway. Today I got a new gauge and I wanted to test it out. It is worse then before! While I had the gauge off to take to the welding supply store I put a piece of tape over it so it would stay clean, so no dust got in it. What do you guys think the problem is? Maybe I will just oil the the regulator... :D
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:50 PM

O2 pressure in your tanks is quite high! What is your 'tank pressure' reading? If the tank is over full the regulator could be hard pressed to regulate the ~40 PSI you use @ the torch.. The bladder is what is making the noise. It's still OK as long as you don't hear a hissing or leakage. When that happens the bladder is cracked and the regulator is junk. I just replaced my O2 regulator last year and they do get quite pricey so shop around if you need one

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:06 PM

No! No! Don't put oil on any torch equipment with Oxy around! Not sure the outcome, but is a bad thing like igniting or doing so easy or something. It's one of the satety tips in most manuals. Other than that, have NO idea of fix, sorry! :smilewink:

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:16 PM

DO NOT PUT OIL IN YOUR TORCH!!

Pressurized Oxygen mixed with oil will cause a MAJOR EXPLOSION !!

More then likely, you have a diaphragm going bad and you need to take it to a welding shop to have it rebuilt.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#5 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • Member No: 11470
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:27 PM

Did you screw the pressure-adjusting screw fully out before you open slowly for the Oxy bottle?

Edited by Per, December 12, 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Head the warning's Ryan. NEVER, NEVER, mix oil and O2!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do like Brian suggest's!!!!
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#7 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Per. is right if you are using compressed ox. and not liquid bottle be sure you turn the tee handle till no pressure on it. There is cases that people crack the valve open on fresh canister and the 2000 psi blow the tee handle out with a enough force to go though concrete block wall.A good practice to do on gauges when you hook them up point the handle up and keep body parts out of line with the tee handle.there is lubricant for oxygen applications non petroleum product get from oxygen dealer only. Be safe.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:49 PM

It's so dangerous, if I had his phone number I would call him !!

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Ryan i am hoping that smiley means you know better !! Are you saying you got a new gauge or regulator?
I know just about enough about Oxy/Acetelene to be dangerous. Like the time I held the striker cup so the acetylene blew back at me and my hair was an orange ball of fire for a second. LESSON LEARNED. I have run them in the past a lot though. Texas Deere does more welding in a week than I do in year. I would take his advice and have that regulator rebuilt.

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 07:30 PM

Sorry for the scare guys! I know better then to mix oil with the regulator. Has anybody tried the kit HF has? I think it is $200 and it comes with everything, including different heads. I'm not mistaken I have a coupon in the last flyer, but I don't remember how much it takes off.

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Hmm....Guys, I saw his post about adding oil, then thought about his welding class and figured he knew better. Have no clue about the noise. Sometimes I've had it happen with a nitrogen regulator. Often, opening the tank more smooths out the flow or something.

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hmm....Guys, I saw his post about adding oil, then thought about his welding class and figured he knew better. Have no clue about the noise. Sometimes I've had it happen with a nitrogen regulator. Often, opening the tank more smooths out the flow or something.

Yes, the thing about adding oil comes up every time we have any lesson that involes the oxy-acetylene.

When you say opening the tank more, do you mean the cylinder valve, or the regulator? With the oxygen the cylinder valve is all the way open.

#13 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Try shutting the tank valve, bleed off all the pressure, turn the reg adj handle all the way out 'til you don't feel anymore resistance. Close torch valves and open the tank valve, then adjust low pressure back to where you want and try using some oxy to see if still chatters. Sometimes the flow control valve in the reg just doesn't like the way it's sitting and a little adjustment will stop it from chattering.
BTW, I never open oxy or acet tank valves all the way. One turn from each is enough for most cutting operations. Reason I do it is yrs ago on the job I got a hose fire going and when the valves are all the way open it seems an eternity to get them both closed. I've never had a tank valve leak around the stem when partially open. I've heard of it happening but in 50 yrs of using them it's never happened to me or anyone I worked with.
Mike
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 09:05 PM

Try shutting the tank valve, bleed off all the pressure, turn the reg adj handle all the way out 'til you don't feel anymore resistance. Close torch valves and open the tank valve, then adjust low pressure back to where you want and try using some oxy to see if still chatters. Sometimes the flow control valve in the reg just doesn't like the way it's sitting and a little adjustment will stop it from chattering.
BTW, I never open oxy or acet tank valves all the way. One turn from each is enough for most cutting operations. Reason I do it is yrs ago on the job I got a hose fire going and when the valves are all the way open it seems an eternity to get them both closed. I've never had a tank valve leak around the stem when partially open. I've heard of it happening but in 50 yrs of using them it's never happened to me or anyone I worked with.
Mike

I tried bleeding them off, several times. Still makes noise!

I open the oxygen cylinder all the way; acetylene I crack it so the tank pressure gauge moves, than another 1/4 turn.

#15 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:00 PM

The welding shop I talked to when mine went told me that the rarely rebuild them because of the liabilities involved with the high pressure and they'd be happy to sell me a new one for $200.. here's a link to a new one: http://www.ebay.com/...=item5649f2ad97