#1 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:37 PM

bolens 850 013.JPG bolens 850 014.JPG bolens 850 015.JPG

this is what makes me mad... i owned this tractor 8 or 9 years ago it was a nice tractor kept inside since new i got it from the original owner. the seat was mint the mower deck was solid. my dad an i did a minor restoration on it. so after my grandfather retired his 850 i got it so i wanted a john deere 110, so my dads friend had one an it was rough but i was a stupid kid so i traded him the 850, deck and a (TF)front blade for the 1971 J.D 110 and $125.oo, that i later found out he found in the trash :wallbanging: :wallbanging: . well here we are now 2 weeks ago an i ran into the guy an i said "hey you still got that bolens" he says "yea but i havent used it in a while its in my back yard if you want it come look at it" so i go an i got sick when i seen it. it looked like he got from me parked it there and never touched it again it was sunk 1inch in the ground, steering rusted tight even the button to unlock the lift arm just about rusted away. so he owed me $50.00 for some corn so he gave me the 850 back. so i went there today with the 1050 w/loader on it an got it.. it could probly be all freed up and running again but im going to use the hi/low mech for my grand fathers 850 im pitting the CD-1 on and save what i can of whats left. i just cant beleave some people would have a beautiful tractor an let it turn into this.... and junked a perfect 38in mower deck. :mad2:

Edited by 1967bolens collector, December 12, 2012 - 05:42 PM.

• kwj427 and MailmAn have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:44 PM

Unfortunately, people don't seem to have the respect for well engineered GT's like they should. "it's just a lawnmower" in their minds.

Good luck on saving what you can. If you can't snap it around, at least it will be a good organ donor.
  • chris m said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:49 PM

That just sucks... that is why I never get rid of much... and you know what happens... I will have stuff that looks like that in 10 years if I don't fix my storage issues...

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:49 PM

Wow what a shame :(

Some people just dont have any respect for equipment. It kills me to see any running GT sitting out in the elements, If you have to keep them outside for extended periods you think they could at least buy a $2 tarp every few years! .... ok done venting now
  • 1967bolens collector and chris m have said thanks

#5 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Wow what a shame :(

Some people just dont have any respect for equipment. It kills me to see any running GT sitting out in the elements, If you have to keep them outside for extended periods you think they could at least buy a $2 tarp every few years! .... ok done venting now

i know.. i wish i had pics of what it use to be... it was almost as nice as my HT20D... and now its parts but im goin to save every organ i can... the engine i think is ok beacuse it has no water in the oil that i can see but its stuck an he had the air filter and cover off so there mite be just mice made a nest on top of the piston i dont know im going to work on it a bit tomarrow an see was good an whats not

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:41 PM

A shame is right.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,643 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:46 PM

I know how you feel. Several years ago I restored an MF14, and added a self built 3pt hitch. She was beautiful! I had more projects going on & needed money to finish them, so I sold it to a young fella that lives near here. In less than a year the new seat was chewed off by his dog, and the paint nicked & scratched all up. Some people just have no respect for anything. Treating stuff like this is disrespecting themselves by wasting their money too. :(
  • chris m said thank you

#8 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Shame!

#9 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 07:00 PM

Wow, thats too bad. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to own a real garden tractor. Give them a new MTD to destroy.
  • Cat385B, chris m and MailmAn have said thanks

#10 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 08:07 PM

i feel so helpless when i see one of these old boys go out like that!!!!! in Christ Bobby

#11 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 10:05 PM

Sorry to hear about that! I agree with everyone here. Some people just dont understand when we say its just more than a garden tractor! Its a work of art and should be treated fairly. What really gets me is when people sell things on cl or pennswoods and they say"if it doesnt sell soon its going to scrap" REALLY!? Only if I had the funds to save all gt's from the scrapper :(

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 12:32 AM

What really gets me is when people sell things on cl or pennswoods and they say"if it doesnt sell soon its going to scrap" REALLY!? Only if I had the funds to save all gt's from the scrapper :(

That hurts my ears every time. I assume not know sometimes... unless they are going to my local scrap yard with them which can mean I save em for less money sometimes (never happens though). I dunno, I wish I could afford to save every GT ever built, but I don't.
  • 1967bolens collector and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#13 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 01:44 AM

Most unfortunate. Glad you got it back before it rusted into nothingness.

#14 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 01:16 PM

I know, that sucks Bolens Collector! There is nothing worse than seeing something you had that was in nice condition or something that you put effort into restoring or making yourself get turned into junk. I just don't get people sometimes though. I mean, why would this guy have wasted the money buying your 850 just to let it sit and rot in his backyard and never even use it? Makes no sense. You could have sold it to someone who would have appreciated it and used it every day. (Or else the guy that let it sit could have sold it to someone who would have actually used it...) Just makes you want to wring some people's necks sometimes...

What really gets me is when people sell things on cl or pennswoods and they say"if it doesnt sell soon its going to scrap" REALLY!?

Sometimes I'm not sure if they really mean it or if this is just some sort of a marketing ploy to try to get someone to come and buy it for the price he wants for it without having to haggle over it. I have seen some cars on eBay where it will say in the listing that he doesn't want any lowballers or that it has the opening bid set a bit higher on it because he knows he could get at least that for it if he scraps it. I would think that would accomplish two goals: 1) It might get the seller more money for the item by appealing more to collectors or people who know what the item's true value is worth, and 2) It keeps away those people who might just look to buy it to make a quick buck scrapping it or trying to part it out rather than use it or restore it. Of course, there are always those idiots out there that really will rather scrap it just to get rid of it if they can't sell it immediately for even $20 more than they would get for the scrap metal value for something...

Edited by MailmAn, December 17, 2012 - 01:17 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens 850