Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Spark Plug Thread Repair?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 5,117 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 04:30 PM

Some may remember I asked if the heads on a K321 where interchangeable with a K301 head. The answer was maybe, there where different style heads offered. Anyway, I needed to know because I dropped the head from the '71 and messed up the spark plug hole threads. I have a few spare K301 engines and none of them have the same style head as the K321 in the '71. instead of buying another head, I think I might try to repair the threads. Has anybody tried the helicoil thread repair kits? How easy was it to put in? Any other repair kits you suggest?

#2 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 419 Thanks
  • 748 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 04:34 PM

can yout straighten the threads with a tap?

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 5,117 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 04:35 PM

can yout straighten the threads with a tap?

No, I tried that.

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 2,850 Thanks
  • 3,796 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 04:41 PM

Ryan I have not had to replace threads in a head yet. But how bad are the threads? If there not real bad you can buy a thread restorer tool at most auto parts stores. as far as being able to swap heads, I would assume the head form the K301 would fit. I know on the K241 and the K301 you can swap the heads even if there different styles. The only thing you need to make sure is that the valve heads are the same diameter on the 2 engines.

I haven't had a k321 so I am not 100% sure.

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 5,117 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 04:52 PM

Ryan I have not had to replace threads in a head yet. But how bad are the threads? If there not real bad you can buy a thread restorer tool at most auto parts stores. as far as being able to swap heads, I would assume the head form the K301 would fit. I know on the K241 and the K301 you can swap the heads even if there different styles. The only thing you need to make sure is that the valve heads are the same diameter on the 2 engines.

I haven't had a k321 so I am not 100% sure.

The valves in the k321 are the same size, In the k301 the exhaust valve is smaller; although, I might have that backwards. HERE is where we talked about it.

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,850 Thanks
  • 3,796 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 04:58 PM

Do you happen to have a picture of the underside of all the heads you have?

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 5,117 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Do you happen to have a picture of the underside of all the heads you have?

The only one I can take a picture of is the one with messed up threads, the others are on the engines.. According to the link in the other thread I need a third generation head, I only have first generation heads.
  • chris m said thank you

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,850 Thanks
  • 3,796 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:14 PM

The only one I can take a picture of is the one with messed up threads, the others are on the engines.. According to the link in the other thread I need a third generation head, I only have first generation heads.

If you can post a picture I can at least compare it to both of the heads I have from a K301 and k241.The ones I have are 2 different styles but they work on both engines. I have swapped them around a couple times already.

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

The Impossible Task!!!!!!

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 5,100 Thanks
  • 6,128 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'd try a thread chaser first, I fixed some really messed up threads with mine. If that doesn't fix it get a machine shop to put a helo-coil in it.
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 13,293 Thanks
  • 20,524 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:31 PM

Several years ago, Dad had a Heli put in the head of the Teccy on his log splitter. It's held fine, but he had some $ it.

Another option he almost went with was buying a plug with the next size base & drilling and tapping to that. He decided that would be "Option B" if the Heli didn't pan out.

#11 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:49 PM

It been many years since I messed with a Heli coil but as I remember them, it is like a kit, you get a special tap and the tool to install the coil along with the coil and the instruction and it wasn't hard to do.

Dick

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

• Member No: 8360
  • 1,816 Thanks
  • 2,330 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Yeah, like JR said, there is a Kit with drill, tap, insert tools and inserts for plugs. The kit is not ALL the helicoil stuff, just for the one or two sizes you are working on. Nice to get the correct bit, as they are odd sizes. The tap in kit makes bigger threads, then the heli-coil part brings it back to standard when inserted. Doesn't have to be Heli-coil brand either. Ones I've gotten from my shop were a diff brand, but still good quality. Don't by Chinese junk one!

Always thought many heads interchanged, only needed to have correct bolt pattern. Didn't know of any valve clearance issues?

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,222 Thanks
  • 1,453 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:24 PM

Advance auto sales the one I used. It came with a reamer/tap combo and several different size inserts. It worked good (keep the reamer striaght) and the inserts fit well. I dont have much run time on the engine but it looks like it will hold up fine.

Costed around $20
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#14 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 3,308 Thanks
  • 3,670 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:30 PM

First off, I've been advised that a threaded insert is much better than a helicoil. Second, I went to my lawn dealer and he repaired it for $10. Cheaper than the kit.

#15 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8923
  • 3,722 Thanks
  • 3,606 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:34 PM

There are other type kits too. The one I will use on my K341 will be the K-D insert tool. It reams and threads at the same time. Then just screw in an insert with some loctite on its od and you are done. The kit comes with the tool and about 6 inserts. I will take the head of first and set it up on my drill press to get accurate alignment.