#1 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10345
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Quote from a forum somewhere:

"My parts list has caburetor kit part number C29002 to replace the R20T carburetor. The kit consist of carb, new intake manifold, new intake pipe, new air cleaner and other minor parts."

Anyone know if this tractor has the replacement carb in question? Seems to fit the bill.

Attached Thumbnails

• A2410A.JPG
  • A2410B.JPG
  • A2410I.JPG

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,722 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 03:30 PM

I've never ran into that but it could very well be. Any idea on the year of the parts list? I've seen that same basic carb and aircleaner set up on a 50's Walsh and also the Subrbanite so it was something Standard was using.

#3 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 04:03 PM

I will have to look up that parts list. I thought I had a picture of it. The serial on that tractor is 403C6954 so that make it a 1943. Seems too early to have been something that it rolled off the line with. That's why I am thinking it's a replacement part.

Here are a couple more, or at least variants of it. The rusty one in the green grass is a 1952.

I will keep looking for the parts list Doug.

Attached Thumbnails

• Clipboard02kjniytctgc.jpg
  • P7210022.JPG
  • tractor 057 (1).jpg

#4 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 04:13 PM

Ok, I found it but it is really bad. Scan down the left column until you see carburetor somewhere. No date on it that I can see, but it must have been pretty old. Someone corrected some of the prices and that would seem to indicate that they could buy them somewhere. That must have been quite a while ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• Standard Twin Parts List with replacement carb kit number.jpg

#5 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 04:32 PM

Notice further down that they also offered an air cleaner for the R20T carb AND for the 210A carb. I think a 210A is a Tillotson, but I understood that the Tillotson that came on some twins from the factory was an M-15A. Maybe the 210a came in the replacement kit they have listed. The 210a seems to be a side draft and I assume the M-15A was also. Couldn't find any pic of either one.

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,722 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 09:23 PM

I think this is one of those instances where you look for answers and only come up with more questions. Did You look at the Tillotson list over on asecc? They show the M-15A as being sold to American Farm Mach Co and used on the Walsh and Std twin 31-34. Problem is the twin didn't start until 34 and I thought they were the Zenith. The normal Walsh carb for that era would have been a tube style carb like the Briggs PB used. They show an M-8A and M-8B as fitting Std and Std twin 29-31. The only twin being produced in that era would have been the Viking. There are some other listings over there but the 210a doesn't show up. That list only goes to 41. It would be nice if there were pictures over there with the listings. I'll have to start checking carb numbers and taking pictures. Standard dated their literature like they did their tractors. They would put a number in small print in a corner that was the date code and number for the brochure.

#7 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:40 PM

Yeah, real can of worms. I did see that line "M-15A as being sold to American Farm Mach Co and used on the Walsh and Std twin 31-34" although I couldn't tell you what site it was. Only thing I can think is that maybe it did come on a twin in 1934, but maybe not all of them. Most of them do seem to have the Zenith like mine. Could be that the m-15a didn't work out too well or who knows, so they went to the Zenith and then offered the 210a as a service unit later. Who's to say that the Zenith and Tillitson sales reps didn't keep showing up and cutting a better deal and getting them to flip flop. Sounds silly I guess, but who knows. LOL. We may never know. Too bad we don't have somebody that worked there and still had a good memory. I know you find strange Deere units because of leftover parts being used up on stuff going down the line.

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,722 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 11:01 AM

After further review....... The M-15A is an updraft, flange mount carb. I have it on the Viking B and 34 Twin. It's aso on the 32 Walsh-Handiman. I looked at one tube style carb and it is a MS-36B. It shows in the list that it was 30-31 Walsh and Kincade. MS-36A shows ftting 28-29. Both of my Walsh and the 31 walsh handiman has that style carb. The model K Kinkades use it too. I'll have to check the 34 Std Walsh. It didn't have a caarb but I thought it had the tube style manifold. Of course, we've already seen about my thinking. I can guarantee these guys were always looking for the best deal. Seems like a lot of poor design mags show up on these units. I always figured it was because the mfg was trying to dump them and offed them at a good price.
  • mrf1002u said thank you

#9 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the update Doug.

#10 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,722 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 04:32 PM

I took a few pictures of the carbs over the weekend. Hopefully this will help I.D. them.

The first one is the MS-36B Like used on the Walsh and the Kinkade.

DSC01255.JPG DSC01257.JPG DSC01258.JPG

Next up is the M-15A as used on the model B Viking, 34 Std Twin and at least some of the later Walshes. It would have a banjo style nut where the bolt is on the top for the fuel inlet.

DSC01261.JPG DSC01259.JPG DSC01262.JPG

Last one I pictured was the Zenith that was used on the Std and Viking Twins. This style carb was used on later Monarchs too but not sure if the number was the same. This particular carb was on a 38 Viking twin.

DSC01263.JPG DSC01266.JPG DSC01264.JPG
  • mrf1002u said thank you

#11 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 04:47 PM

Great pics Doug! Thanks. I have seen the M-15A on tractors in pictures before and didn't realize it. Very similar to the Zenith from a distance.

#12 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 04:50 PM

Wonder what difference there is between the Zenith you posted and the one I have. Mine is stamped 9711. Yours apperas to be 7138A.

#13 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:51 PM

Y'all are talking about carbs, that I have never seen nor heard of, so I am of no help.

Dick

#14 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,722 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Wonder what difference there is between the Zenith you posted and the one I have. Mine is stamped 9711. Yours apperas to be 7138A.

It would be nice to find a Zenith chart that showed these numbers. How did you determine that yours was an R20T series?

#15 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 17, 2012 - 11:32 PM

Good question Doug. Hmmmm. Funny you should ask, because the kit I bought has one less bolt hole in the gasket for the float bowl than I need. When I bought it it said it was for an R20T, but I have never seen a chart that links the number on the tag to any model numbers. I.E. R20T. Looking at the pics of the Zenith you posted, the gasket seems to be an exact fit for yours!

It came off a twin, it looks like it came on the twin....now I don't know for sure. Although I swear that I read that they used a Zenith 9711A or a 9711B somewhere. It may have been the old "looks like a duck.....", that is biting me in the butt.

I CAN say that the kit literature referenced the R20T and a whole bunch of other variations of that number with a bunch of different letters. That is out in the garage, but I will post it here for you to see.

Remember what you said?

"I think this is one of those instances where you look for answers and only come up with more questions."

Well, I am knee deep in it now buddy! LOL LOL !!!!!!!

Look at this picture of mine and compare it to your Zenith and you will see that the difference isn't obvious unless you are looking closely. You can't see it from this angle, but mine has an extra screw holding the top on, just to the right of the fuel inlet. Yours is just a straight line with no screw there.

I will post some more detailed pics of mine later.

Attached Thumbnails

• StandardTwin1e.JPG