Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Topper Windows... Replace?

  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Alc OFFLINE  



  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 9058 Thanks
  • 8309 posts
  • Location: Bangor Pa

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:35 AM

Moosetales I've never heard the word " topper " used in our area just " cap" , Al

#17 bhts OFFLINE  


    Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1493 Thanks
  • 2181 posts
  • Location: ohio

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:03 PM

Casey: This might take some research. I know that all the Body Shops in this area have completly quit installing glass.
They found that the cost, vs breakage and loss, made it more practical and economic to leave the Glass work to Glass installers.
There are specialty installers that come out in a van and will install in a parking lot for less than they can and guaranee their work.
You very well may well find that it is cheaper to have a pro do the job. They can usually do in less than an hour what the less experienced would take all day to do.
No doubt Lexan would work, but cutting to fit and install may be pretty difficult to do and it is pricey stuff to mess up the job.
It has to be just right to fit and not leak when done. If that has no break in the gasket then the glass/lexan has to be fit to the gasket and then a Handle with a hook on it is used to roll the gasket into the frame. The hook looed like a utility knife handle with a very stiff #9 wire U shapped hook.
It's not really that bad if you have done a few hundred, but it takes a knack and learning the technique or you will discover that you vocabulary is much more developed (or is that underdeveloped?) than you knew.
I installed Lexan windows in Grinder Mixer tanks at the factory for a short time, but learned quickly that there were others much better at it than I.. BTW that's a nice Topper and would be well worth repairing.

I would agree.It never hurts to go to a local glass shop and get a price may be cheaper then you think. And by the way nice topper.

#18 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  


    Squeaky Wheel

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4726 Thanks
  • 7423 posts
  • Location: West Virginia

Posted December 12, 2012 - 02:53 PM


#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  


    Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8994 Thanks
  • 8664 posts
  • Location: Ga

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:36 PM

Casey, from what I can tell in the pic, you will have to pull the window out repair it and then re-install it. I think JD Daniels has a very good point. It doesn't cost anything to get an estimate at a local glass place. It very well may be cheaper then you think and a whole lot less headache.

#20 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

    Live long and prosper

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 5478 Thanks
  • 6780 posts
  • Location: Upstate NY

Posted December 12, 2012 - 05:50 PM

Alc, what do they call toppers in your neck of the woods?

We call them truck caps here. Never heard it called a topper until here. What a difference some miles make.




  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 2011
  • 3791 Thanks
  • 3907 posts
  • Location: Newton.Ia

Posted December 12, 2012 - 07:11 PM

Yep that is one where you have to put the glass in the gasket and then roll the inside rib into the frame.
It looks like a two man job, one on the outside holding it in place and another inside rolling the gasket with a hook. I wonder if you could do it with a heavy cord with dowels tied to the ends. like a garrote used to strangle people in the gangster movies.
Here topper and cap are use interchangebly. But 9 out of 10 will call it a topper.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 12, 2012 - 07:17 PM.