wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 11:49 PM

How many know this question? Can a side glass on a topper be replaced without replace entire window? The sliding section of the sliding window is broke out on the topper I bought over the weekend, best idea I've had is plexiglass, but how to get it in there...

This is the topper, brand is Hop-Cap and the pass side slider is the broken side. I only paid $150 for the topper. Not a bad fit for it since it is design to fit a truck older that mine, and not even Ford lol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355287616.847332.jpg

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, December 11, 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#2 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,637 Thanks
  • 1,329 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:54 AM

I've done a few windows in toppers and removed them for painting, but from the pics its hard to tell. Usually they're not to bad to take the whole window out (a hand full of screws on the inside). Plexiglass would be the quickest and maybe the easiest way to fill the hole.

If it looks to complex to remove there is always the handymans secret weapon... duct tape. LOL
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 01:39 AM

See, the issue isn't the entire window, just the panel that slides, so... I was originally thinking plexiglass but after a good bit of research I and investigation of my topper. Those frames don't have any real seams, and I can't figure out any way I would get any cheap plexiglass in the frame without bending it... which is a 100% chance of breakage. However, Lexan is looking pretty good on flexibility and similar cheapness. Luckily I only need 1/8" think and I have the original handle from the glass panel so might even end up with something as functional as stock if all goes well ! :dancingbanana:

I do know this, the last guy used duct tape... which I will still have to scrape off of the outside. I was just exited to get my hands on any topper that actually fit the truck reasonably well for under $1000 bucks lol. All said and done I will have around $250 in it (had to buy some seals and mechanisms for the hatch) but I will have dry stuff, even tractors. I was surprised at one dimension, overall interior height results.... of 46 inches! which is shorter than most average GTs. :dancingbanana:

My last truck with topper was only 33 inches of clearance and pissed my off a bunch of times lol.

Oh, and anyone care to guess what the topper originally came off of that I mounted to my 2004 Ford F150.?

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 01:54 AM

congrats Casey! Nice cap. I would prob go the lexan root also.

My guess will be hmmmm. 1997 Chevy Z71 full size 4x4
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 02:21 AM

Mr. M sound like a Chevy guy LOL.

Yes, it seems to be off one of those Chevy trucks, but hey, for $150 plus $100 to repair some things and trimming for the gat to close properly; it sure will be cheaper than new topper. You just can't find used 8 foot toppers for these newer trucks... same reason you can't find a used long bed truck quickly. Everyone seems to get an extended can short box. I can understand, as I had that setup with my last truck, and learned two things about myself and that setup. I never had enough room in the bed for everything I wanted... and the extended part of the cab was an oversize waste bin LOL.
  • chris m said thank you

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 02:40 AM

I'm a what ever is made good type of guy. But no you can't beat the price and even here it is hard to find a good used full size truck.

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:22 AM

Nice looking truck. I like my F-150 with the 8 ft bed and extended cab.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:56 AM

I had to open your thread Casey to see what a" topper " was !! I've never heard of it called that lol . Anyway looks good :thumbs: lexan should be fine but I wonder how you would go about if it was glass ? Could the weatherstripping where the window slides be remove to give clearance like a side window on a car when they get removed ?

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 07:02 AM

Some close ups of the offending window would go a ways to figuring out how to replace the broken one. They had to get it in there to begin with.

#10 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 07:03 AM

Good deals are great when they come around. Look to be a great fit.

Alc, what do they call toppers in your neck of the woods?

Edited by Moosetales, December 12, 2012 - 07:04 AM.

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,538 Thanks
  • 3,924 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 07:33 AM

I have heard them called toppers and caps. Any one else have a different name?

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Casey: This might take some research. I know that all the Body Shops in this area have completly quit installing glass.
They found that the cost, vs breakage and loss, made it more practical and economic to leave the Glass work to Glass installers.
There are specialty installers that come out in a van and will install in a parking lot for less than they can and guaranee their work.
You very well may well find that it is cheaper to have a pro do the job. They can usually do in less than an hour what the less experienced would take all day to do.
No doubt Lexan would work, but cutting to fit and install may be pretty difficult to do and it is pricey stuff to mess up the job.
It has to be just right to fit and not leak when done. If that has no break in the gasket then the glass/lexan has to be fit to the gasket and then a Handle with a hook on it is used to roll the gasket into the frame. The hook looed like a utility knife handle with a very stiff #9 wire U shapped hook.
It's not really that bad if you have done a few hundred, but it takes a knack and learning the technique or you will discover that you vocabulary is much more developed (or is that underdeveloped?) than you knew.
I installed Lexan windows in Grinder Mixer tanks at the factory for a short time, but learned quickly that there were others much better at it than I.. BTW that's a nice Topper and would be well worth repairing.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 12, 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 09:20 AM

Mr. M sound like a Chevy guy LOL.

Yes, it seems to be off one of those Chevy trucks, but hey, for $150 plus $100 to repair some things and trimming for the gat to close properly; it sure will be cheaper than new topper. You just can't find used 8 foot toppers for these newer trucks... same reason you can't find a used long bed truck quickly. Everyone seems to get an extended can short box. I can understand, as I had that setup with my last truck, and learned two things about myself and that setup. I never had enough room in the bed for everything I wanted... and the extended part of the cab was an oversize waste bin LOL.

Boy can I relate to that!! Before I bought my 05 F150 I had borrowed my sons 96 Chevy Extended Cab short box from my son. Bailey is hopelessly hooked on Fishing, Hunting and Trapping and had a tool box in the back to lock up his equipment.
Any time I needed to haul anything I had to take the box out. I bought the 8 ft F150 from Bailey and while it too has a toolbox I sits up off the floor so I can slide building materials under it. Still debating taking it out?

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 12, 2012 - 09:21 AM.

#14 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 09:42 AM

It looks like a good deal and a decent fit Casey. Good luck with your repair and remember to take photographs.

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 10:58 AM

I looked at the gasket and all and it looked good, so I hate to screw it up by not trying to "pop" in lexan. I think I can shape it fine. I have the ability, and worked with a glass installer friend of mine for a few weeks. I did not see a break in any gaskets. It is troubling to say the least cause it had to be built somehow...

I am quite thrilled with the topper so far, except for it not bing a common brand name so parts are tougher.. But if you don't lose them you are fine lol.

I'll get a pic of the window after bit for the curious ones.