• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 31, 2010 - 09:24 AM

Heat is your only hope, and serious heat. Oxy/Acet & heat the rim center till good & red. Have your puller on beforehand & once heated, put the juice to the puller. I have had to completely cut a rim off an axle before though!!!!

#17 TedS OFFLINE  

TedS

• Member No: 1113
  • 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 31, 2010 - 02:05 PM

Heat is your only hope, and serious heat. Oxy/Acet & heat the rim center till good & red. Have your puller on beforehand & once heated, put the juice to the puller. I have had to completely cut a rim off an axle before though!!!!

Getting it that hot will it destroy the rim or fuse them together the axel and rim. I am not use to useing heat like that. The hottest I get anything is sweating a copper fitting. HaHA.

#18 TedS OFFLINE  

TedS

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 31, 2010 - 02:16 PM

Hi TedS, welcome to GTTALK! May be that I'm missing something, but I can't find that pt# under that model at sears.com. The closest I could find was a 106594X shift rod & a "Plate" that is NLA... If you got the pt# from the book, could you please verify? If this is a transmission internal part, it may be pretty tough to find it... Went thru a struggle recently myself with Craftsman & Discontinued parts. The parts list is really bad, if you send a pic of what it is you're looking for, someone may have one & not know it by that pt #. There's a place up this way that may eventually run across one. Jamestown Pa Lawn & Garden Lawn Mower Grave Yard Used Tractor Parts Salvage Guy's name is Bill. He's a nice guy & will look for one for you. Good luck in your search

MH81- I sent a msg to Jamestown, PA and they have not acknowledged that they even got the msg.

#19 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 31, 2010 - 02:53 PM

Getting it that hot will it destroy the rim or fuse them together the axel and rim. I am not use to useing heat like that. The hottest I get anything is sweating a copper fitting. HaHA.

Good luck then! But if you swell that axle just a tiny bit, you'll never get that rim off. And the heat will not fuse them together....as they already are!

#20 TedS OFFLINE  

TedS

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 31, 2010 - 05:06 PM

Good luck then! But if you swell that axle just a tiny bit, you'll never get that rim off. And the heat will not fuse them together....as they already are!

olcowhand:
What I was asking is, will it destroy the rim or axel? THANKS for the HELP....

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 31, 2010 - 05:18 PM

olcowhand:
What I was asking is, will it destroy the rim or axel? THANKS for the HELP....

Oh, sorry, but I was not intending to be rude anyway...I read it wrong, pays to read slower, but sometimes I'm in a fizz. The rims stands a chance of getting the metal weakened, but the axle will be ok, long as the axle isn't heated directly. If you heat her hot & the rim comes off, have some water handy to cool everything back off reasonably fast to temper the metal.

#22 TedS OFFLINE  

TedS

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 31, 2010 - 06:58 PM

Oh, sorry, but I was not intending to be rude anyway...I read it wrong, pays to read slower, but sometimes I'm in a fizz. The rims stands a chance of getting the metal weakened, but the axle will be ok, long as the axle isn't heated directly. If you heat her hot & the rim comes off, have some water handy to cool everything back off reasonably fast to temper the metal.

Hey olcowhand, no problem, I just did not want to screw up something else that I may have to buy. I am somewhat of a handy man but this is out of my league. Thanks for the help, I am glad I hung around

#23 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 31, 2010 - 07:12 PM

If you really don't have to take the wheels off why not leave them on and work around them.
My Sears was the same way, I wanted to take them off to paint but sized on solid like yours so I worked around them.

#24 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 31, 2010 - 07:37 PM

If you really don't have to take the wheels off why not leave them on and work around them.
My Sears was the same way, I wanted to take them off to paint but sized on solid like yours so I worked around them.

Done the same many times myself!