• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TedS OFFLINE  

TedS

• Member No: 1113
  • 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 08:46 PM

I am looking for a Assembly, Shifter (part #106594X) or a complete transaxle for a model 917-255720 lawn tractor. I would be greatful if some one could tell me where I might fine one, I have been looking for quite a while.

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 27, 2010 - 07:53 PM

Ted Sears, Craftsman probably made millions of lawn tractors over the years, you can get parts from Sears for these tractors, you already have the #s needed.
They used alot of Peerless Transaxles which can be found in many different makes of tractors.
When I'm looking for something I find alot of the time it's easier to buy another tractor similar to what I have, you might try this sometimes you get lucky.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 27, 2010 - 08:15 PM

Ted, can you post a pic of the tractor, and if possible, a pic of the transaxle? There should be a tag somewhere on the transaxle stating the make & model of the trans unit.

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 27, 2010 - 08:54 PM

"Sears Parts Direct online" say's trans-axle part# 105693X

Pic in parts direct show's front engine lawn tractor, looks something like the one I have with same type of trans-axle in my Sears tractor, 5 speed

Attached Thumbnails

• sears electric 00&.jpg

#5 TedS OFFLINE  

TedS

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 08:53 AM

I have it stored in the back of my garage but I do have the Sears owners manual that has a picture of it on the front and I have an exploded view of the transaxle. I do know it has FOOTE on the transaxle. If that will help Ican surely put that on the thread. By the way I too am a south central KY man. I live in Leitchfield, KY

Edited by TedS, August 28, 2010 - 09:01 AM.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 02:14 PM

... Shifter (part #106594X) or a complete transaxle for a model 917-255720 lawn tractor...

Hi TedS, welcome to GTTALK! May be that I'm missing something, but I can't find that pt# under that model at sears.com. The closest I could find was a 106594X shift rod & a "Plate" that is NLA... If you got the pt# from the book, could you please verify? If this is a transmission internal part, it may be pretty tough to find it... Went thru a struggle recently myself with Craftsman & Discontinued parts. The parts list is really bad, if you send a pic of what it is you're looking for, someone may have one & not know it by that pt #. There's a place up this way that may eventually run across one. Jamestown Pa Lawn & Garden Lawn Mower Grave Yard Used Tractor Parts Salvage Guy's name is Bill. He's a nice guy & will look for one for you. Good luck in your search

#7 TedS OFFLINE  

TedS

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 02:56 PM

Thanks guys I have taken all my numbers from the Sears owners manual and from the parts page and here are the #s. The part I accually need is Part #106594X and according to the description it's call a Assembly, Shifter it is on page 37 and the model # of the tractor is 917.255720 I am going to try an send pics. Not qiute sure how to do it but i will try. If you can make out the #s 55 is the part I need. It is the part that shifts the gears. This is a 4 foward and 1 reverse.
Craftsman3.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Craftsman1.jpg

Edited by TedS, August 28, 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#8 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 03:42 PM

What is wrong with the part (55) that you have?

#9 TedS OFFLINE  

TedS

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 03:53 PM

What is wrong with the part (55) that you have?

DH1 The bottom part of it is broken off and I could not find it when I put a new reverse chain in. I broke the chain by putting my fishing boat in the grage hit a pole. It will not stay in gear.

#10 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 04:06 PM

Bottom part you mean the arm?
If you had the missing part could it be welded back on?

#11 TedS OFFLINE  

TedS

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 06:13 PM

I am sure it could be. It is the piece that goes under the ring that slides on the bar that moves the gears.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 06:32 PM

I am sure it could be. It is the piece that goes under the ring that slides on the bar that moves the gears.

It has GOT to be in there...no way for it to get out. No way it was chewed up to oblivion. If it's stuck in that grease somewhere, if/when it comes in contact with some gears, it's "crunch time" again!

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 06:35 PM

It has GOT to be in there...no way for it to get out. ...when it comes in contact with some gears, it's "crunch time" again!

AMEN, Time for that tranny to get inverted. Or at least go fishing with a cow magnet.

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 31, 2010 - 05:18 AM

Ted, you definitely need to get the old piece out of there. If you don't it may not happen right away but sooner or later it is going to wreck havoc on the rest of the tranny.

#15 TedS OFFLINE  

TedS

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 31, 2010 - 07:34 AM

Ted, you definitely need to get the old piece out of there. If you don't it may not happen right away but sooner or later it is going to wreck havoc on the rest of the tranny.

Planning on getting it out sometime this week if I get the roof work done for my daughter. By the way does anyone have any idea how to get the wheels off this thing. I have tried wheel puller,penetrateing oil, blocks of wood and hammer.Nothing I have tried has worked.