• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 13, 2010 - 11:21 PM

I guess I'm really wondering what were going to have in the future, what kind of crap are they going to foist on us next, first it was the vertical shaft engine, then overhead adjustable valves, then the ZTR, I think the ZTR is a good machine, but what you have is a freakin expensive lawn mower, nothing else, they don't do garden work or really any snow removal, so you have to have another machine for each season or job, machines that are cheaply built.:rolleyes1:

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted February 13, 2010 - 11:54 PM

I'm wondering the same thing as well. I cant imagine anyone being able to restore one of those new Boxstore plactic tractors 40 years from now.
Its sad to see these things happen, but in a throw away society no one cares about the quality. They are just interested in it being brand new and having the most HP.
But my Bolens 800 (8HP) could out work anyone of those 20HP mowers made today.

#3 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 14, 2010 - 12:31 AM

I REALLY don't understand this horsepower rating, I sold a 24hp Craftsman DLS3500 gold edition to buy a 1965 John Deere 110 that could out pull and out do everything about the Crapsman, I used a 24hp International 424 to pull my truck out of the field the other day after getting stuck bringing hay to the horses, my friends one ton dually couldn't do it.

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 07:30 AM

The horse power is measured differently today than the back in the 60's &70's. I'm really not shure how its done

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 08:23 AM

I thought I remember something being said about the older ratings were actual true horsepower and now a days they rate it differently. That's like look at all the motors now being rated by torque. I think it is just a way to get the motors to still sound like they have the power but actually have half the power of it's predecessors since it has to have all the emissions crap on them.

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 09:06 AM

Back in the day, they ran the hp test "as-is" just like engine sits when you buy & put to work. My old Briggs model 14 was rated in it's day as 5.3HP, while today it would rate around 9-10hp or better. Today however, they set the motor up with all the best stuff to crank out the numbers. They do not have anything on them that makes them meet EPA standards. Different carbs, different muffler systems, etc. I was told by an engine rep at the Louisville Garden Expo 3 years ago these things. He said engines were only 75% (at best) of their advertised rated HP. He also said that was why they were all going to go the "Torque Rating" road. This way they could fool the average guy for a few more years, as most have no idea as to what torque figures mean.

#7 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 02:33 PM

The small compacts have taken the place of the high quality lawn and garden tractors.I have a Yanmar 1300D thats 16HP 4WD,
3 speed PTO,Cat 1 3pt.Its a powerhouse in a very small package about the size of a Sunstar and I use it like a garden tractor.And it'll climb like a Billy Goat.Simplicity legacy is a quality garden tractor pretty much a updated Sunstar but they're not cheap but none of the large garden tractors like the Sunstar, MF 1655,Craftsman FF etc were cheap for their day either.I'm perfectly happy with my old ones.

#8 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 14, 2010 - 07:44 PM

Don't these small compacts start at well over 10,000, going well into the 20,000 range, I have a friend with a Massey 1010, I thought it was big until I got my Massey 1650 and Ariens GT's, but it is quite the machine, I'd like to get one just don't know which.

#9 NUTNDUN ONLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 08:10 PM

The john deere 3120 I had when I had the truck business was $29,995 out the door. That was the tractor, fel, backhoe and 3pt 5' finishing mower. I can't afford something like that now and don't have a need for that much but I am going to start my look out for a 1655 or a 1855 in the next couple weeks.

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 08:39 PM

Don't these small compacts start at well over 10,000, going well into the 20,000 range, I have a friend with a Massey 1010, I thought it was big until I got my Massey 1650 and Ariens GT's, but it is quite the machine, I'd like to get one just don't know which.

Mike, the Massey 1010 you speak of...you sure it's not an AMF 1010? My Massey MF1010 is a 3cylinder diesel & weighs in around 1600lbs+. Much bigger than my 1655.

#11 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 14, 2010 - 10:21 PM

I was exaggerating just a tad, they are a lot bigger, but seem smaller when I was driving a MF-8 LOL

#12 AriensGT OFFLINE  

AriensGT

• Member No: 575
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 04, 2010 - 10:00 AM

Interesting thread. They just don't make them like they used to, that's for sure. With the exception of Kubota (very pricey) and the Legacy and/or X-Series Deeres most other stuff out there is junk. Zero turns are definately a better mowing machine than a GT but lack the versatility of a GT. Market share of ZT's has taken away the benefits of mass producing GT's at a lower price (less units to spread the tooling costs over) and this trend will likely continue. Anything with a stamped frame and vertical shaft engine comes under scrutiny for me. The losses in efficiency with belt drive and "turning the corner" with the power flow are probably one reason why larger hp engines are more the norm these days but seem to actually get less work done. I haven't checked but I wonder if the hp ratings are typically quoted nowadays at higher rpm's than in the past? Nothing lugs down like an old high c.i. single. The lack of attachment interchange between older GT's at least from Cat 0 and PTO standpoint limits some of the flexibility that the newer compacts have. My 0.00002 cents