#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 01:59 PM

I took my Cub 123 out of the shed yesterday evening to remove the tiller and attach the mower deck. I had serviced the deck and blades and was wanting to see how well it ran and cut. Well, it ran good..... BUT...... I was almost finished with the yard when I needed to go backward to get around a turn (steering still needs to be adjusted), moved the hydro lever to reverse, and noticed that it seemed like I ran into something (In a wide open part of the front yard). Guess what was laying on the ground? The mounting frame that attaches to the rear of the hydro with 4 bolts (with the 90* gearbox mounted to it)! And, of course, hydro fluid was steadily draining onto my lawn...... (That sucker holds a BUNCH of fluid!!) Although I have only recently acquired this 123, I hadn't thought to check the tightness of those 4 mounting bolts. So, before too much hydro fluid had drained out, I hopped on the tractor and high-tailed it back to the shed so I wouldn't have to drag or push it back there. I found 2 of the 4 original mounting bolts, but the other 2 were nowhere to be found. I dug through my "I might need it someday" pile of bolts and found a couple to put back in the rear cover of the hydro.

Although I was eventually going to service the hydro, it looks like I'll be doing it sooner than I thought. Just need to order a filter, a gasket, and some fluid.

(I still LOVE this 123! Makes tilling MUCH easier!)

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 05:28 PM

Well, look on the bright side nra1ifer. There's a spot of grass in the yard that you wont have to mow for a while. Sorry you had some troubles and I hope that nothing was damaged too badly.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 05:29 PM

Wow, Sorry to hear about your mishap.....

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 05:59 PM

Wow, Sorry to hear about your mishap.....

:ditto:

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 06:11 PM

Those "always something" moments have happen to most of us at one time or another... guess it was your turn today!

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 07:39 PM

I am glad you got her to the shed. Just like mentioned before don't have to worry about mowing that spot for a while lOL. I like the hydro cubs, especially for mowing and I can only imagine how well they work for tilling. It is hard to fight the tiller and keep a steady pace with a gear drive tractor.

#7 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! I actually look forward to this little project. Always up for something new! I'll keep you posted.....

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 10:42 PM

Well, look on the bright side nra1ifer. There's a spot of grass in the yard that you wont have to mow for a while. Sorry you had some troubles and I hope that nothing was damaged too badly.

Hey Caseguy, I didn't have to mow a spot in my yard for several years after your SC "Marked it's territory" ....
Posted Image

nra1ifer, I'm glad there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage done.

#9 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted September 03, 2010 - 12:04 PM

Yesterday evening, I took the 90* drive off of the rear of the hydro, drained what was left of the hydro fluid (quite a bit, actually), and cleaned everything I could reach through the hydro rear cover. (Still amazes me how stout these old tractors are. The rear end of this Cub looks like it came out of a TRUCK!!!) I cleaned all of the old gasket off of the case and cover, and also replaced the hydro filter.

Today, I'll be picking up the gasket I ordered, then with any luck, I'll have time this evening to put it all back together and fill it up with fluid. Before I put the gasket on, I'll make a template to use next time on a piece of gasket material (thanks for the suggestion, olcowhand!).

Making progress with this new-to-me Cub. It'll be up to nra1ifer specs before long!

#10 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted September 04, 2010 - 10:42 AM

Got the hydro filled and working again. And, took some pictures of the tractor outside in the sun.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2287.jpg
  • DSCF2286.jpg
  • DSCF2285.jpg