14 replies to this topic

#1 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 06:47 PM

so everyone knows i bought kens ht20d.. it does not have power steering so i was on ebay an i seen 3 hyd cylinders that were off of ht20s so if i got the cylinder will it bolt right on or will i have to get other parts? i dont see a spot for it anywhere. i should of looked at kens ht23 with PS when i was there but forgot.. thanks sam

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 07:43 PM

Ummm! You need control unit!? Usually steering column goes into the unit under dash and not to the gearbox anymore. Is hydraulic and directional. Might run off a hydro rear-end port? Seems you'll need a lot more than just a cylinder and a couple hoses. Steer box control is most importand part and probly expensive. Best to get tractor with one on it that is being parted to get ALL the needed items.

#3 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,193 Thanks
  • 5,213 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 08:15 PM

so everyone knows i bought kens ht20d.. it does not have power steering so i was on ebay an i seen 3 hyd cylinders that were off of ht20s so if i got the cylinder will it bolt right on or will i have to get other parts? i dont see a spot for it anywhere. i should of looked at kens ht23 with PS when i was there but forgot.. thanks sam

Um what cylinder are you talking about? the one that goes on the side of the frame?

#4 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 08:17 PM

its sold as a whole unit thats got the valve cylinder and linkages in one when i did my power-steering conversion on my h14 i needed control valve/column/valve mount/custom cylinder all new steering linkages hoses and ON if you were to purtace parts for it off of Ebay you you would pay more than you did for the Tractor ! the Eaton valve i have is worth $600 ALONE how ever i got the stuff from the scrap yard for its weight

#5 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,193 Thanks
  • 5,213 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 08:23 PM

its sold as a whole unit thats got the valve cylinder and linkages in one when i did my power-steering conversion on my h14 i needed control valve/column/valve mount/custom cylinder all new steering linkages hoses and ON if you were to purtace parts for it off of Ebay you you would pay more than you did for the Tractor ! the Eaton valve i have is worth $600 ALONE how ever i got the stuff from the scrap yard for its weight

Say what now?

#6 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 08:31 PM

the power steering is not Just a cylinder for the large frames its a cylinder and control valve thing all in one with linkages and what not's the series 10 eaton hydro steering control valves are around $600 From surplus center there $515 No tax from Eaton Or any place in my town there upwards of $600 http://www.surplusce...tname=hydraulic
i also hear if you buy something oem for Jd or clark and case ... they will sell you the same for almost $1200 ! just a different color

#7 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 08:32 PM

Ummm! You need control unit!? Usually steering column goes into the unit under dash and not to the gearbox anymore. Is hydraulic and directional. Might run off a hydro rear-end port? Seems you'll need a lot more than just a cylinder and a couple hoses. Steer box control is most importand part and probly expensive. Best to get tractor with one on it that is being parted to get ALL the needed items.

i thought so. i knew there had to be more to it but now thinking about it i should of known since i work on tractors and im a farmer i feel dumb!!!

Um what cylinder are you talking about? the one that goes on the side of the frame?

yes thats the one. the ines on ebay look like there off a power angle plow but they say there off a ht20. so i guess this would be a heck of a project?

#8 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 08:34 PM

i dont have a 2 stage blower or anything so i dont really need it but i thought about putting a loader on it if i ever found one and makes it easier to steer

#9 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 08:39 PM

If you are looking for a power steering unit for the HT20D i have one here.

#10 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,193 Thanks
  • 5,213 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 09:33 PM

the power steering is not Just a cylinder for the large frames its a cylinder and control valve thing all in one with linkages and what not's the series 10 eaton hydro steering control valves are around $600 From surplus center there $515 No tax from Eaton Or any place in my town there upwards of $600 http://www.surplusce...tname=hydraulic
i also hear if you buy something oem for Jd or clark and case ... they will sell you the same for almost $1200 ! just a different color

I dont think ps on a tube is worth that much money to spend.
Think I'll stick with my 3 NOS ps units I got for my large frames. :D

#11 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 12:01 AM

I really enjoy the power steering on the JD318, my first tractor with it, it would be hard to go back now.

#12 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 07:25 AM

I dont think ps on a tube is worth that much money to spend.
Think I'll stick with my 3 NOS ps units I got for my large frames. :D

its already done the tractor is used for jobs so its payed me back :)it think i have $250 or so in the conversion

Edited by 8tyman8, December 11, 2012 - 07:26 AM.

#13 kingkab55 OFFLINE  

kingkab55
  • Member No: 71870
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 27, 2015 - 07:39 PM

Hello every one. I'm chiming in rather late in the discussion. But I would like to add to this question about power steering on the HT20. Has any one done a converstion that does not involve the origanal one from Bolens? Youtube have a few here and there on tube frames but there mostly hack jobs. If I could find the right cylinder and control valve I could combine them on one unit like the bolens.

Other wise I have seen some power steering setups for under $400 from the 400 and 300 series John Deer tractors. But don't know about the steering wheel working with any of those. $300 is not bad to go Power steering if it works. I would emagine you could still tap into the main manafold for hydro from trhe Sandstrum pump.

Any way any links or info would be appreciated.

#14 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 01:54 AM

Hello, I've seen it chronicled somewhere I believe with the JD set up , I'm looking.. a PS set up off the Bolens DuraTrac model has been retro fitted to large frame's by their owners as well, if you archive on MTF Bolens forum Justin R 's diesel conversion on his 1886 I believe he used this set up.
http://www.mytractor...ect-update.html.

The original Cessna control valve that directly fitted to the cylinder I believe was unique to Bolens, I've looked far and wide , visited many "old school" hydro shops and apparently it wasn't that common.

The link: http://www.surpluscenter.com/ from above post will direct you to PS valves that will fit in the LF steering column and they also carry the splined shaft steering wheels that fit. Considered expensive thou.

Your HT 20 has a Sundstrand hydro pump in it with two ports : inlet/outlet or supply/return if you will. The original set up the PS is proprietary and comes from the supply first and then from it to the tractors remote hydraulics valve.

Check with our site sponsors here , Bob Hill "Bob's lawn and garden tractors" and Rick Show "Ricks Bolens tractor parts" both salvage old Bolens and their parts, both have sold salvaged original set ups , and the DuraTrac set ups, Bob may be able to help with the JD set up as well.

Good luck, PICS ARE MANDATORY HERE! (Kidding... maybe... well... yeah you better pic post)

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, October 28, 2015 - 10:56 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#15 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,349 Thanks
  • 1,758 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 12:16 PM

Hello every one. I'm chiming in rather late in the discussion. But I would like to add to this question about power steering on the HT20. Has any one done a converstion that does not involve the origanal one from Bolens? Youtube have a few here and there on tube frames but there mostly hack jobs. If I could find the right cylinder and control valve I could combine them on one unit like the bolens.
Other wise I have seen some power steering setups for under $400 from the 400 and 300 series John Deer tractors. But don't know about the steering wheel working with any of those. $300 is not bad to go Power steering if it works. I would emagine you could still tap into the main manafold for hydro from trhe Sandstrum pump.
Any way any links or info would be appreciated.

If your interested in a factory set up PM me,I maybe able to help you out

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens ht20d