• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'm rebuilding a carb on a B & S off my Big Ten. The carb was very corroded. I soaked it in a vinegar and water solution. This cleaned it pretty good. The float valve was stuck in its guide. I pulled but the head broke off.
I'm considering drilling it out but am afraid of collateral damage. The valve body appears to be stainless. Any suggestions?

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 06:13 PM

Soak it with PB Blaster or similar penetrating oil for about 24 hrs. Then take some shop air and blow into the fuel inlet sealing around the nozzle. Hopefully that will either blow it out of there or back it off enough to get something on it to get it out.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thanks, I use PB alot but just didn't think of it for this. I went downstairs and soaked it.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 02:07 PM

I soaked it with PB blaster until today(12 days) and put air to it. Even 120psi didn't move it. I then screwed a zerk fitting into the fuel inlet. I attached a grease gun to the zerk and slowly pumped. Pressure built, the valve shifted alittle and the grease oozed around it. I still couldn't get the valve out but accidently drove it back in. I put pressure to it again and this time it popped out completely. An old friend(Herb) told me of breaking loose frozen model T ford engines. Pull the spark plugs. Put a little Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder. Find the cylinder that was compressing and fill it with 30w oil. He screwed in an old spark plug with a zerk fitting adapted to it. When he pumped in the grease the engine would turn. Oil in the cylinder was easier to clean up than pure grease. Herb was about 90 and still driving his Model T pickup when he died 2 years ago.
  • MH81, IamSherwood, HowardsMF155 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the update and the info I will have to keep that in mind if I run into the same problem. I was wondering where you were at with this. Glad to see you are back on track.

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 03:06 PM

That is an excellent trick that :
a) I hope I remember when I need it.
and
b) Hope I never need it!

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the update and the info I will have to keep that in mind if I run into the same problem. I was wondering where you were at with this. Glad to see you are back on track.

Thanks. When I'm not sure about something, I take my time. I've learned that PB Blaster works better with time. Your suggestion of the air pressure led to me remembering Herbs' trick. BTW, Herb was WWII Navy.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Do you know if Herb was a mechanic in the Navy. The trick with the oil and zerk fitting sounds like one of their tricks.

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Do you know if Herb was a mechanic in the Navy. The trick with the oil and zerk fitting sounds like one of their tricks.

I don't know what he did. Herb and I were talking one day and the topic of the Hurrincane of 38 came up. I told him that my old man was a Coast Guard Chief during the war, crossed the Atlantic 6 times and participated in 6 landings. Dispite Uboats and bombers he said that the Hurricane of 38 was the scarriest thing he lived through. Herb said yeah the hurricane was his scarriest and he was in the Navy during the war. He seemed reluctant to talk about it, so I didn't push.

I'm color blind and nearsighted. The Navy wouldn't take me in 1969. I ended up in the Army. Married an Army Nurse and put in 29 years active and reserves. Good Luck

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 06:39 PM

You and I would have been in the Navy at the same time. I enlisted in '68. My first marriage was to the XO Daughter but she couldn't handle the deployments. Go figure. Anyway thanks for your service. :thumbs:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carb, float valve