DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 08:57 PM

How does one drill, bore, grind out the inside hole larger so that the weight can be mounted on the inside of the rim and go over the hub?
001.JPG 002.JPG

Hub measures 5-1/2"
Inside hole is 5"

I weight on the inside of the rim, the other on the outside of the rim, each held on with 2 bolts.

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 09:07 PM

My vote is cut the weights in half so they will go over the hub and then bolt them right to the wheel like they are one piece. Cast cuts very easy with a sawzall or hack saw.

like this ( )

Edited by Gtractor, December 09, 2012 - 09:20 PM.

• DH1 and twostep have said thanks

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 09:10 PM

Only way I can think would be to chuck them in a lathe or bore them in a milling machine. Lathe would prob be quicker ( less set up)

Turning the hubs down would work but... I don't know if there is enough material above the threaded holes for the lug bolts?

Option 3 maybe a Bolens guy has some MF weights he could trade you?
  • DH1 said thank you

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 09:11 PM

My vote is cut the weights in half so they will go over the hub and them bolt them right to the wheel like they are one piece. Cast cuts very easy with a sawzall ot hack saw.

like this ( )

I want to try to do it so I can bolt the inside weight on first then put the wheel on with the weight over the hub.
Weight stays on the rim.

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 09:13 PM

My vote is cut the weights in half so they will go over the hub and them bolt them right to the wheel like they are one piece. Cast cuts very easy with a sawzall or hack saw.

like this ( )That seems like a great idea!! and if he drilled 1 more hole in each half it would mount up nice and it would be similar to an original MF weight. Good one :thumbs:

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 09:30 PM

You could put it into a mill and use a boring bar to make the center hole larger. But, that would take a vary long time. I don't know if they would fit into a lathe, but if so I think that would be the way to go.
  • DH1 said thank you

#7 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 10:21 PM

Find a welding shop that has an air arc and see what they will charge to cut 1/4" out of the inside all the way around. Then you can take them home and smooth out the inside w/ a 4' or 4 1/2" disc grinder.
Mike
  • DH1 said thank you

#8 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 10:22 PM

You could put it into a mill and use a boring bar to make the center hole larger. But, that would take a vary long time. I don't know if they would fit into a lathe, but if so I think that would be the way to go.

Was thinking of doing this also, being at my brothers work they got a lathe that will take something 16" in diameter. Just haven't done it yet, but I don't know if I'd want the weight sticking off the rim on the inside (back spacing of the rim is alot shallower on the inside). Been tring to find some simplicity (I think) weights having the bigger center and thinner.
  • DH1 said thank you

#9 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 10:59 PM

The tractor I want to put these on is a Massey MF16 has 23-10.50x12 tires.
Here a picture of the weight on the outside with the tire valve and one with the weight on the inside.
Both sides the weight fits flush, don't stick out at all.
004.JPG 003.JPG

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 11:28 PM

Doug, You either have to bore the weight or get it air arc'ed out to the proper I.D..

I would mount the hub to the rim, mount the weight, mount the whole thing on the axle. But that is me. :smilewink:
  • DH1 said thank you

#11 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 11:33 PM

I know this may sound crazy but... If you don't have a machine shop near you you could try this. See cast Iron doesn't burn well as far as using a cutting torch. but it cuts and drills great!

If you got a 5 1/2" hole saw you could do it yourself. You could cut a circle block of wood or multiple thin circles to fit in the center of the weight.

Then just mark the center and drill it out with the hole saw, you could even drill your center hole all the way through the wood 1st, that way you could flip it over and drill with the hole saw form both sides.

Just a thought,in case you don't have many options.here is one on Ebay cheap http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cc57f9a6e

#12 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 11:37 PM

I thought about doing something like that, mount the drill in my drill press, set it on the slowest speed and drill from the inside out.
I don't know if the drill bit will last long enough to finish drilling 1 weight, and I got 2 to do.???

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 11:39 PM

How much do you need to take out? If very little it could be done with a die grinder?
I once had a good 64 Dodge Dart engine and wanted to put it in a 70 Duster. Was told it would not fit, because the crank bore was not big enough to fit the torque converter. TRUTH BE TOLD THEY WERE RIGHT! I tried to have the torque converter pilot turned down and ruined one. Had another and ground out the crank with a drill and grinding stones till it would fit.
I would not reccomend it unless one had lots of time and very little to remove. The impossible just takes longer!

To this day I consider the Mopar slant 6 one of the best engines ever built.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 09, 2012 - 11:43 PM.

• DH1 said thank you

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 11:41 PM

Doug, You either have to bore the weight or get it air arc'ed out to the proper I.D..

I would mount the hub to the rim, mount the weight, mount the whole thing on the axle. But that is me. :smilewink:

:iagree: :ditto: :yeah_that:
  • DH1 said thank you

#15 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 11:43 PM

When I made my weights out of brake routers ( 2 stacked together on both sides) I drilled them with a hole saw and the hole saw still looks like new. I used my hand drill even. And those were cast iron also. an angle grinder with a sanding disk also works great to shape and smooth cast iron.

I just figured it might be an option. Heck I know what it is like trying to find a shop to do any work for me. So some times I must improvise myself.

I
  • DH1 and trackcar have said thanks