• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 05:49 PM

Quick review of what I'm doing: Retrofitting a brand new Kohler CH18 onto my Dynamark/MF14.

I have the engine out of the box and I started fitting parts from the old K321. The shaft is good, just needs new bolts. The PTO shaft on the new engine is a smaller shaft size than the old one, so I need a solution. The bolt pattern on the static side matches the tapped holes on the engine, but the pulley is out.

Question 1: What are my options? Can I modify the shaft input on the PTO pulley?

Question 2: If not, where can I find a new assembly that would work?

Thanks!
Frenchy

Edited by frenchy, December 09, 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 06:59 PM

Dont know what engines you have. Are these both Horizontal shaft? Pto runs off the flywheel? There are a couple diff sizes of the bolt on shaft for flywheel side of kohlers. One has 5/16 bots, other 3/8 bolts. Think the shaft is same at 1" Bolt pattern is a litle diff too, so can't just drill out the smaller bolt holes. IF we are talking the pto on the shaft side, seems you will need a diff pulley or if clutch, then diff clurtch. Have seen some make a sleave bushing to use bigger bore pulley's on smaller shafts, but hard to do. There is a keyway there and hard to cut that out on the bushing. Then the key slot is too tall also, needing special key or makeing one. Think best to replace whatever is on the shaft, pully or clutch for easiest solution.
  • frenchy said thank you

#3 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 12:59 PM

Dont know what engines you have. Are these both Horizontal shaft? Pto runs off the flywheel? There are a couple diff sizes of the bolt on shaft for flywheel side of kohlers. One has 5/16 bots, other 3/8 bolts. Think the shaft is same at 1" Bolt pattern is a litle diff too, so can't just drill out the smaller bolt holes. IF we are talking the pto on the shaft side, seems you will need a diff pulley or if clutch, then diff clurtch. Have seen some make a sleave bushing to use bigger bore pulley's on smaller shafts, but hard to do. There is a keyway there and hard to cut that out on the bushing. Then the key slot is too tall also, needing special key or makeing one. Think best to replace whatever is on the shaft, pully or clutch for easiest solution.

Engine is a Horizontal shaft Kohler CH18.

So the PTO is an electric PTO on the opposite side of the flywheel. The drive shaft from the tractor has the same bolt pattern as the old K321, but the bolts from that engine are a different thread type.

So my challenge is that the PTO clutch pulley has a 1" bore, but the new CH18 engine has a smaller shaft than that. Can I get a sleeve that I can weld into the PTO clutch bore maybe?

#4 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 01:05 PM

Have seen some make a sleave bushing to use bigger bore pulley's on smaller shafts, but hard to do. There is a keyway there and hard to cut that out on the bushing. Then the key slot is too tall also, needing special key or makeing one. Think best to replace whatever is on the shaft, pully or clutch for easiest solution.

Just actually read this part now... yeah I think it would be tough to do. Maybe I should just look for a new clutch pulley that will fit both the clutch and the shaft.

#5 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 10:27 AM

So what are the repercussions of going to a PTO with a 4" pulley rather than the 6" that was previously on there? Will my tiller still work ok?

#6 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 09:24 PM

not sure if your still looking for one (if i recall you posted about a engine you found on kijiji So i would take a long shot and Say you Canadian) i have a Pto kit from a ch20S i was going to put the engine in a tractor with no front pto so the stubs shaft has no use to me